PDA

View Full Version : Hauling equipment with a flat bed tow truck?

Hummer
03-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Does anyone do this? At first thought it seems like it might be a good idea for hauling a skidsteer around on to job sites.

I've been researching trucks and GN trailers for hauling an ASV RC-100 (or Bobcat T300) with a Fecon Bull Hog, and I thought it might be better to just use a flat bed tow truck.

Jpocket
03-19-2006, 06:38 PM
If you have one already, I' say go for it! should work great, but I couldn't see buying a flat bed just for that purpose.

janb
03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
that would be ok, If you don't feel you need a 'dump' to haul material. I'm trying to find a tandem 'drop-box' or 'hook truck' with interchangeable beds that is capable of 35,000# cargo, as I want to haul both CTL and mini-ex + attachments.

I currently use a trailer, and many sites I go to are tough to get into (and out of) with a trailer. Do you use multiple attachments? It is handy to have ~20+ feet of deck space for multiple attachments. I often take stumpgrinder, grapple, 4:1 bucket + mower, sometimes chipper too.

jb

Jpocket
03-19-2006, 09:00 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why not get a Roll-off instaed of a hooklift they are kinda limited. Get a nice single axle w/ lift axle

gammon landscaping
03-20-2006, 12:09 AM
i know a guy around here that had a tandem axel rollback that he used to move a case backhoe, a 550 john deer loader, and a small dozer. it worked really well for him. easy to get in and out with and no trailer hassel

BSDeality
03-20-2006, 12:37 AM
one of the rental places around here delivers machines on a 24' flatdeck, they can fit quite a few skids on the truck at once. Look at the switch n go system for interchangeable bodies, etwman has an awesome setup with 5 or 6 bodies now on 2 (goin on 3) international 4700's

janb
03-20-2006, 02:53 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why not get a Roll-off instaed of a hooklift they are kinda limited. Get a nice single axle w/ lift axle

What are some of the 'hook lift' limitations? (x-tra Weight, less angle of lift; come to mind) I have my eye on an 'ideal' older unit, (roll-off) but it has been sitting for several years (hyd's (about 8-10 cyliinders) don't like that!) It does have 3 drop boxes, including one with removable sides, ramps, and D rings (was used for a backhoe)

Unfortunately I don't have a ton of time or $$ to fix it, tho It could likely be had for under $4000. The DOT requirements on a 30 yr old truck could set me back, + it needs 10 new / replacement tires ~ $2000. I need to get into something that I can use.

I need the traction of a twin screw, and likely will get a '4th' lift axle to do some contract hauling, tho there is not much profit in that... The unfortunate issue I find is most Roll-Offs seem to be automatics, not great when trailering in mountains, and using 'off-road' during wheat harvest.

I would really like a truck with HF hyd, so I could mount my SkidSteer Chipper on the truck and use its Hyd to operate it, that way I could use the grapple on skid to feed the chipper

The Yard Barber, Inc.
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
I have thought about that before but, I think everyone an there brother would be bothering you for a free tow. I have used one before and they work great for bobcats and stuff because the winch is great whne you get the machine stuck. If you can find one for a good deal, go for it.

firelwn
03-26-2006, 03:10 AM
theres aashphalt trucks around here and thats what they use for there rollers and such. I think that it would work pretty good

firelwn
03-26-2006, 03:11 AM
oh crap asphalt:drinkup: