PDA

View Full Version : Mulch suppliers in N.E. Ohio

snap12.5
03-19-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm getting started with mulch jobs soon and unfortunately the supplier I used last year is no longer around. Who has some good clean mulch in the Akron, Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, and Bath areas? I've heard of a guy selling some Amish mulch around here but I'm looking for some more options.

I'll be checking out Mulch Makers' "landscapers" mulch but won't be interested in it if it is like last years...it's way too fine and doesn't hold its color for long at all compared with bark mixes from other places.

Let me know if you have some ideas....

KERRTURF
03-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Snap,
How much do you figure you are going to use this season? I am thinking about getting a load from a lumber company in Holmes county, but I need to order it at 100+ yards at a time. If I can find someone who needs enough of it, I will buy it and have it delivered to my home in Doylestown. I just don't usually use that much.

mow king
03-19-2006, 10:02 PM
if you went with the semi-load, how much is it per yard?

wissel_landscaping
03-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I pay $1,100 per semi load.

olderthandirt
03-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Snap,
How much do you figure you are going to use this season? I am thinking about getting a load from a lumber company in Holmes county, but I need to order it at 100+ yards at a time. If I can find someone who needs enough of it, I will buy it and have it delivered to my home in Doylestown. I just don't usually use that much.

Have a name and # for the company? I can use a couple loads
you can pm with the info, I'm not close enough to you to help take some off your hands

LorentzLawnSnow
03-20-2006, 11:11 AM
i too would be interested in a number for this place.

KERRTURF
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
The place that I was reffering to is a small lumber mill that is run by an Amish guy so I don't have a number.
OlderThanDirt has PM'd me with information on another guy from the area. I really don't think I can beat his price. If OlderThanDirt wants to post his information here, it may help you out. I don't want to post it in case he doesn't want the information made public.

snap12.5
03-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Have any of you guys bought mulch from the guy on Hazel Street in Akron? Is it any good?

snap12.5
03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Snap,

Would you offer delivery as well? Price?

Splicer
03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
ANyone know of a good supplier in the Cincinnati area? Prices I looked at yesterday was about $24/yd + $29 delivery. The delivery fee is acceptable but the mulch seemed a little high. I would like to spend closer to $20 or below if possible.

KERRTURF
03-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Would you offer delivery as well? Price?

I don't have any way of delivering it, but I do have a backhoe to load it. I still think that OlderThanDirt has the right idea with the supplier out of Copley. I may be able to get it slightly cheaper, but having it stored somewhere else and having it delivered to the job site outweighs whatever savings I can come up with.

olderthandirt
03-29-2006, 12:36 PM
wj horvath 330-668-2171 out of Copley was the cheapest but he just started grinding so I ended up getting it from Mulch Makers $13 yd delievered

Splicer
03-29-2006, 12:45 PM
$13 yd delievered
;) :confused: :dizzy: :cool2: :weightlifter: :usflag:

snap12.5
03-30-2006, 05:37 PM
wj horvath 330-668-2171 out of Copley was the cheapest but he just started grinding so I ended up getting it from Mulch Makers $13 yd delievered

I've tried Horvath but it has a lot of trash in it - ground up plastic bags, bottles, lawn chairs, etc. And I don't think he lets the mulch age long enough. Is his mulch any better this year?

What do you think of Mulch Makers' mulch this year? Is it like last years? -It was way too fine and that stuff will decompose quickly. Let me know.

Thanks

JRSlawn
03-30-2006, 06:57 PM
I use mulch makers colored mulch. I pre paid for 200 yards. Its good stuff so far. I love barb

olderthandirt
03-30-2006, 09:46 PM
I've tried Horvath but it has a lot of trash in it - ground up plastic bags, bottles, lawn chairs, etc. And I don't think he lets the mulch age long enough. Is his mulch any better this year?

What do you think of Mulch Makers' mulch this year? Is it like last years? -It was way too fine and that stuff will decompose quickly. Let me know.

Thanks

Ive used JW since the md 90s and NEVER had ground up crap in any loads Aged mulch, never heard of it and why would you want it? the aging process washes out the dye if its used and started the decomposing. Every place I know grinds and sells it as fast as they can.

Mulch Makers is the same as last yrs it will need turned the first yr and topped the second.
Barb is great, always finds a way to sneak a truck to me in a pinch

snap12.5
03-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Ive used JW since the md 90s and NEVER had ground up crap in any loads Aged mulch, never heard of it and why would you want it? the aging process washes out the dye if its used and started the decomposing. Every place I know grinds and sells it as fast as they can.

Mulch Makers is the same as last yrs it will need turned the first yr and topped the second.
Barb is great, always finds a way to sneak a truck to me in a pinch

The aging process is what gets the mulch a darker color. If Horvath grinds some mulch and sells it the next day, it has not had a chance to "cook" and darken. Also, the cooking process will kill off most insects in the mulch because when the mulch is ground and allowed to cook, it will heat up to pretty high temp.

olderthandirt
03-31-2006, 07:26 PM
The aging process is what gets the mulch a darker color. If Horvath grinds some mulch and sells it the next day, it has not had a chance to "cook" and darken. Also, the cooking process will kill off most insects in the mulch because when the mulch is ground and allowed to cook, it will heat up to pretty high temp.

The color of mulch is put in with dye. Aging has nothing to do with darkening it, it lightens it. Thats why it looks washed out after a yr. and the heat from the mulch decomposing hatches more insects than it kills. Thats why most companys roll there piles over each day, to cool them off.

If you don't like Horvaths Mulch theres a bunch of other places to buy it from but your gonna be paying more for it.

Sushiman
03-31-2006, 08:55 PM
SPLICER...

I am new to thus forum so am not able to send pm. What type of mulch are you looking for? What type of shred if hardwood? I am very knowlegable of the Cincinnati are for mulch.

As far as the others are concerned...Latham Lumber in central Ohio has some extremely good mulch. 100% hardwood, no ground pallets or other trash, and has an excellent appearance and keeps color longer than most mulches bc it does not have pallets in it. Usually semi-loads are only about 60-70 yds.

Thanks

ANyone know of a good supplier in the Cincinnati area? Prices I looked at yesterday was about $24/yd + $29 delivery. The delivery fee is acceptable but the mulch seemed a little high. I would like to spend closer to $20 or below if possible.

snap12.5
04-02-2006, 09:49 PM
The color of mulch is put in with dye. Aging has nothing to do with darkening it, it lightens it. Thats why it looks washed out after a yr. and the heat from the mulch decomposing hatches more insects than it kills. Thats why most companys roll there piles over each day, to cool them off.

If you don't like Horvaths Mulch theres a bunch of other places to buy it from but your gonna be paying more for it.

Yeah but Horvath doesn't dye the mulch neither do other places that sell natural mulch unless it is specified like "dyed cocoa brown". Most of my customers don't want the dyed stuff unfortunately.

I'll swing by Horvath's soon to get a sample and see what it's like this year.

rick2752
04-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey sushi
What kind of prices are you getting for double and triple ground hardwood? Where do you like? I am having a hard time finding it under 20 a yard.