PDA

View Full Version : Self made Door hangers

dtelawncare
03-20-2006, 02:03 AM
I have been tinkering around in Excel and have come think I have an OK door hanger designed. I started out designing so what I knew what to order.
My question, has anyone ever tried making their own door hangers. I would use the thick paper, but not sure about the holes. 3 hangers would fit on a sheet. This may not be a good idea, but I might try it. Let me know what you think.

lawncare3
03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
The first thing I thought when making my own was the hole. So I gave up after about 75 of them using scissors. Maybe there is a new tool out that can be had from a party/arts and crafts store. Die cut machine scrap bookin dept. I donno how much these run but guessin more then it wood cost to have em printed.

daveintoledo
03-20-2006, 11:46 AM
it is not cost effective to print your own doorhangers, the ink cartridges are too expensive and not made for large runs.,,,,,,, just have them printed and designed professionally...

Xterminator
03-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Use a hole punch and rubber band

mrbray101
03-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree, it is much more costly to make your own after paper, time, and ink. But if you do, they make a small circle cutter probably found in the scrapbooking section of a crafts store that will cut out perfect circles, then just cut a slit with scissors. Good luck.

Freddy_Kruger
03-20-2006, 02:43 PM
You can buy a 1+1/2" hole punch from a Art or craft store (about 10 bucks) that makes your hole.

Paper - use 110 lb card stock. you can cut it in half or in thirds.

Paper cutter - I bought mine from staples. I bought the best one they had with the long handle. about 80 bucks USA money (117 Canadian).

INK? never buy cartidges go to a ink franchise like Island ink jet and buy 4 or 8 oz bottles (or bigger) ink has a shelf life of 1.5 years or so they told me.
Also ask them to give you syringes to refill your cartidges.
For 8 oz bottle (regaurdless of colour) I pay about a hundred bucks CAD that's about 75 american.

As for printers I use canon the ink is half the price of HP or Lexmark. This years canon printer of choice is the iP4200. it has 5 colours (2 backs).

To refil a cartridge, drill a 1/16th hole in the top, tape off the bottom ink well hole first, then use a syringe to inject your ink. Then use a glue gun to plug up the hole. After you've don 10-20 cartridges you'll be able to do this very fast.
And remember, you can have mulitple printers going at the same time. I'll often have one printing out the front of the flyer and the other printing out the back.

Much cheaper than the print shop unless you're talking about 10's of thousands, and you can have full colour and if you like the artistic feel of creating your whale flyer, its just great. Yeah you have to baby sit your own flyers and maybe I'll get sick of it in a few years but for now i do the printing.

I just bought glossy paper for estimate sheets and brochures for the customer I also bought glossy card stock photo paper for picture quality business cards.

I might even do this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/28miwl.jpg

walker-talker
03-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Judging by the air in those lines, it doesn't look like that method would work so well???

dtelawncare
03-21-2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the response. I know it is probably better to have them made. I had a bad experience with my business cards. I created my own using word and buying the Avrey templates paper. This was just to have something for my first customers. Everyone liked the cards. Went to the local print shop to have my "Professional looking cards made. I gave the man my info and an idead what I wanted. He made a few samples and I SETTLED on one. Big mistake. After getting the cards, I hate them. They work but look cheap. i guess all this rambling on is to say that I would really like to completely design my own and take the design to a shop.

toac
03-21-2006, 10:27 AM
i live close to a community college and originally my brother in law was going there. he was taking an art class and printed some business cards and doorhangers for me. after i used up all of the doorhangers...(last weekend) i got the art professors number and he is having the current class print 5000 doorhanges for just under $100. the only thing that sucks is i have to use the above mentioned $10 hole punch to punch all of the holes. all in all i spend $100+$10 for the hole punch and about 2 hours punching the holes....not bad for 5000 door hangers.

EPIC
03-21-2006, 07:32 PM
made my own and look very nice i get a huge call back but its do to a diffrent lay out they everyone else uses . what ever you do dont list all what u do and your name of your lco on the top and free estimate crap on the bottom you will only get a 1 may 2% call back what you need to do is to adress some of their concers ask and answer questions and things that you know that they would want ton hear if you have any questions you can email me at epiclandscaping1@yahoo.com

lawnMaster5000
03-22-2006, 03:50 AM
EPIC,

You are very correct in the need to address concerns. Can you please share some of the things you address on your advertisements.

Thanks much

Mr Budget
03-22-2006, 09:49 AM
EPIC,

You are very correct in the need to address concerns. Can you please share some of the things you address on your advertisements.

Thanks much

You may want to see this post by Epic just not to long ago

What Is Really A Good Minimum ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Am In My 3 Month Of Biz And I Am 25 Years Old. I Have A Sign Out In Fromt Of My House Say I Mow Most Lawns For $20 A Cut . I Put That On My Flyers Most Lawns I Do For That Amount Take Me 20minutes Or Less I Have Over Forty Customers Already. I Think I Am On Fire And Doing Very Well .would Like To Know If Neone Thinks I Am To Low I Hear Alot Say That Thier Minimums Are $35 That To Me Seems High Thats Alot More Than The $1 A Minute ? I Only Do $80 No Lower Unless I Am Only Mowing Twice A Week I Which I Usally Care For For That Cause It Means That It Is More Over Grown When I Get Thier

dsmrolla06
03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I made some door hangers today because my door hanger bags are going to be late. I took 110lb card stock, about 10 bucks for 250, which will make 500 door hangers. Then i bought a 2" hole punch from Hobby Lobby. I print them front and back using the copier which uses toner, not ink. Then i cut them in half with a paper cutter, punch hole, and use cutter again to make slit in side. Cost .02 each for paper, and toner i receive for free. Other than that its just time i spend. I think i like the fliers that i put in bags better, which cost about .025 each before stuffing.