PDA

View Full Version : Do you think?

sheshovel
03-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Do you think it is true that landscape lighting keeps the plants "AWAKE" and photosynthesizing all night as well as day?

Pro-Scapes
03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
wow now thats deep lol

klkanders
03-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Well now the last time I talked to my plants ............

sheshovel
03-20-2006, 03:42 PM
No I am serious

Kate Butler
03-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I would expect that the answer to your question would pivot on multuple factors:

intensity of the light (footcandles)
duration (hours above "normal" daylight amounts)
proximity to light source

I know that Christmas cactus are routinely 'tricked' into bloom by putting them in a totally dark space for 6-8 weeks and then brought back into regular daylight. This inducement of bloom can be screwed up by streetlights outside your window (so I've read).

Also, many of the flowering plants we see blooming out of their normal time frame at plant shows are made to bloom by fooling the plants with light to induce bloom.

This is not as off-the-wall a question as some of you folks think.

olderthandirt
03-20-2006, 03:59 PM
No, wrong light spectrum.

steveparrott
03-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Any horticulturists in the group? A valid concern, I would imagine, for certain sensitive plants.

olderthandirt
03-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Do you think it is true that landscape lighting keeps the plants "AWAKE" and photosynthesizing all night as well as day?

She by landscape lighting I take it your talking about the low voltage lighting?
that is type of infrared lighting and does not have the energy that plants need to grow. Use of fluorescents light will make a plant grow because they contain a high amount of ultraviolet lighting which is absorbed for growth. The light spectrum is made up of usable and wasted lite lengths and normal incandescent lighting won't make a dif.

Thus the use of special "grow" lights for hydroponics

Kate Butler
03-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Lots of landscape lighting is NOT low voltage: especially the uplighting on trees and shrubs. I suspect that the l.v. stuff would have a miniscule effect, but the other (running on un-transformed housecurrent) could have a significant effect.

Dreams To Designs
03-21-2006, 06:45 AM
She Shovel brings up a valid concern. If low voltage i used, the light spectrum is usually not in the range to promote growth, another reason to suggest low voltage lighting, but the heat produced can be a problem during dormant times. Too much heat can cause a plant to not go into dormancy or break dormancy early against it's better judgment. I have seen trees wrapped with holiday lights not produce flower buds because of the warmth of the bulbs during cold season encouraged early growth that was killed off by the cold temperatures.

Kirk

Grassmechanic
03-21-2006, 09:26 AM
No, wrong light spectrum.
There is the right answer!

NightScenes
03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
This is a great thread to learn something. I have never had that question but as I read a few things I agree that the low voltage lighting is not of the light spectrum needed for growth. I am going to see what else I can find on this issue.

Thanks for a great thread Sheshovel !!