PDA

View Full Version : Staining concrete around a pool

work4green
03-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I have a customer that has had a pool for about 8 years- the concrete is unfinished. They want me to put stone pavers in outside the concreted area- approximately 2400 sq. ft. of 'georgia blend' holland pavers. Its a dark red/dark grey mix stone. They want to stain the concrete to match. I probably won't attempt the staining myself, but I'd like to get ideas on what is involved in that, what it costs, what are some good stains, etc.

Thanks!

ma5tr
03-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Staining old concrete is not an easy task. There are probably oil stains, and other chemicals that would have to be taken out to get the stain to take properly. Another factor would be the type of finished that is on the concrete now. If it has been broomed and is a rough finish stain is probably not your best choice. If there is a budget for it, I would STRONGLY recommend you cover the concrete area with a wet laid Flagstone. Although the cost is much more than the stained concrete, it will give you a timeless look as well as it will cover up any Hair line cracks in the concrete. Another option is to cover the concrete with a patterned concrete.

work4green
03-21-2006, 03:37 PM
It is brushed, and fairly clean, with no noticeable cracks. There are some red clay stains... :(

By overlaying the area with flagstone, do you mean cementing rock to it? That isn't exactly the finish they're looking for, but I'll keep that in mind. I would think there is a paint or stain for things like this.

Would it be possible to overlay the finished concrete with pavers? I'm a little leary of that:dizzy: , but if it works, we'd consider it.

maintenanceguy
03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Fnd someone in your area that can do this, pass their name on to the home owner and let the homeowner hire them directly to do the staining. If you do it yourself or sub it out, it's your problem when it goes bad.

I owned a construction company for several years. I learned to let the owner deal directly with the painter, carpet installer, and tile guy.

I always said that it made more sense for them to deal directly with so many decisions to make in colors, patterns, etc. I sweetened the deal by mentioning that if they delt directly, I wouldn't have to mark up the work. But the real reason was that 90% of construction complaints are about finishes not being exactly the way the customer imagined it.

ma5tr
03-21-2006, 07:39 PM
In my opinion Flagstone around a pool is one of the nicest looks you can get. Add to that the longivety of the product, and you have a end product that is perfect. Use a Rectangular flagstone around the pool. The only down size like I said is the price. don't just recommend a company firectly to the client because if that company does a bad job, or the end product is not what was desired, it looks bad on you. Stay involved with the project to help the client get the look that closest meets their expectations.

Remember your repuation is only good as your work.