PDA

View Full Version : Why landscape lighting?

sheshovel
03-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Once the customer has paid to built their home,and paid to have their landscaped installed,their hardscape installed..what can you say to them to make them want to pay you to install an expensive lighting system for it?

Flow Control
03-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Once the customer has paid to built their home,and paid to have their landscaped installed,their hardscape installed..what can you say to them to make them want to pay you to install an expensive lighting system for it?

I think there is money to be had when someone makes an "emotional" buy. My speciality is irrigation. Irrigation is not an emotional buy by any means. The good irrigation money can be found in residential where someone had an irrigation system before and had problems with it and now they want there new home to have it done right. Landscape design can be an emotional buy if presented right. What I have noticed if you do a demo at someones home and it is what they are looking for or more then it is an emotional buy. They see it, they want it and they will pay for it. Just my 2 cents.

Pro-Scapes
03-20-2006, 02:31 PM
I will raise you another 2 cents...

once they have spent all that money on landscapes and hardscapes decks spas pools etc why on earth wouldnt they want to be able to enjoy the bueaty of it long after the sun sets. Not only is it dramatic and pretty but its functional.

klkanders
03-20-2006, 04:15 PM
She, good question.
What Billy said might be the best selling point on the higher end homes. I would say, You have done an incredible job planning and investing in your yard and landscape to get it just the way you want it. I would guess then you would want to enjoy it at night when you are needing it the most after a hard day at work?
These are ususally the homes that have a patio, firepit ,pool, hot tub or water feature that they want to lounge around after dusk.

steveparrott
03-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Kirk, all true, and don't forget safety, security and energy savings.

Dreams To Designs
03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
There are many sales angles as has been stated. If it is a new home and they are proud of the way it looks, lighting let's them show it off. As Billy said, you have just installed an well designed amazing landscape, the homeowners can enjoy that at night and can show off their landscape to their friends as it takes on a whole new look and drama after dark. If they have just had beautiful hardscaping installed, they will want to use it, and safely negotiate it, when most of us are at home with our families, in the evening. If they have spent all this time and money to make their home look fabulous, your lighting design will enable that same landscape to take on a whole new effect after dark. I always use the expression that quality landscape lighting and design is based on safety, security and aesthetics, and I can add energy savings.

What do you consider to be expensive? I have installed basic systems, less than $1500, because of cost restrictions that have or can been expanded in the future. You can save some cost with less expensive area or path fixtures and upgrade later. If you install a transformer with room for expansion, you can add more fixtures later. Similar to irrigation, there's always room for expansion, if you design that way from the start.

Kirk

olderthandirt
03-20-2006, 06:02 PM
nice place , to bad can't see it 1/2 the time

sheshovel
03-20-2006, 06:17 PM
THis is true for high end homes..but I have alsso found that the very last of whatever buget they have had is almost gone and they use the last of it for their Landscaping.What I am saying is 75% of these people have blown their wad on the house and are haveing to wait for a year or so to build up funds to pay for their landscape and there is very little left over for lighting if any at all.This is wwhy I find my clients always saying they will install the lighting themselves and find it a barrier to jump when getting to do the lighting jobs on my landscape installs..Of course I stress the need for proper installation and good quality fixures and tell them that now they have this beutifull landscape they don't want to cheapen it up by useing Home Depo lighting and plastic fixtures.This doess not seem to chaange their minds about the subject at all.

sheshovel
03-20-2006, 06:23 PM
THis is true for high end homes..but I have also found that the very last of whatever buget they have had is almost gone and they use the last of it for their Landscaping.
What I am saying is 75% of these people have blown their wad on the house and are having to wait for a year or so to build up funds to pay for their landscape and there is very little left over for lighting if any at all.
This is wwhy I find my clients always saying they will install the lighting themselves and find it a barrier to jump when getting to do the lighting jobs on my landscape installs..
Of course I stress the need for proper installation and good quality fixures and tell them that now they have this beutifull landscape they don't want to cheapen it up by useing Home Depo lighting and plastic fixtures.
This does not seem to change their minds about the subject at all.I drive by and see all these cheapo lighs stuck all over the yard.Most not even matching
OR they stick sso maany copper little solar lights in there you can't even see the plantings the line them up in close rows cuz the lights are so dim and it truly looks like crap.
Well I guess it is a little better than that lady who went out and stuck lttle wooden flowers on sticks and wooden birds and bees on metal stakes all around the nice little AZ flag sitting area I built for them..then set aa big ugly white plastic table and chairs out on it too@!

olderthandirt
03-20-2006, 06:29 PM
She go out and take a pic of a nice house that you know has great lighting in the day and then take one at nite and show it to your customers. A pic is worth a 1000 words. Also some ins. companies offer discounts for out door lighting

Az Gardener
03-20-2006, 07:01 PM
If you have an F/X rep they have a demo kit they will loan you, or they will come out with you and the client and demo a package at no charge. You really do need to see the difference and live is much better than pictures. You may just need wealthier customers too. I have sold the wire in the ground with the install and come back a year later and installed the transformer and lights. I always emphasize getting enough cable in the ground while the trenches are open.

SprinklerGuy
03-20-2006, 07:02 PM
They used to do that for me to AZ Gardner...until I had 5 demos per week...then for some reason they wanted to stop! ;)

They used to have this bitchin trailer they used to loan out to us......man was that thing cool....had hose reels full of wire with taps already in the wire....transformers....lights......I wonder what Josh did w/ that trailer...

Dreams To Designs
03-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you have done all that you can, some just can't make it happen. Also, by using 3D imagery for lighting, you can create many different lighting looks for their home and attempt to sell them on that. You can email them different combinations or print out a photo to get their attention. Perhaps if it becomes part of the initial landscape meeting and is incorporated into the budget at that time it might be easier. If they don't have the money this season, perhaps a demo will convince them to have a small system installed. Handle the safety and security and perhaps pursue the dramatic lighting for a later time.

Kirk

klkanders
03-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I also am going to go about it like Kirk mentioned earlier. If you do come across the people that want it all but just cant spring for it all at once just install what they can afford now. But in doing so make it easy to add on later.
Treat them well, give a warranty on what you have done explaining it is void if anyone else messes with it, and they will call back to add more lighting.

Az Gardener
03-20-2006, 10:11 PM
They used to do that for me to AZ Gardner...until I had 5 demos per week...then for some reason they wanted to stop! ;)

They used to have this bitchin trailer they used to loan out to us......man was that thing cool....had hose reels full of wire with taps already in the wire....transformers....lights......I wonder what Josh did w/ that trailer...

Now they have two trucks/panel vans in town stop in a Ewing and get Donnie or I can't remember the other guys card. Donnie has swapped out a couple of transformers for me, that is a great service. They are now sending out Newsletters to my e-mail with maint tips and such. Just hate those Italian names Give me an RS-20 any day.

SprinklerGuy
03-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Ahhhh the good ole days....RS20's and SP10's LOL....

Pro-Scapes
03-21-2006, 12:42 AM
She go out and take a pic of a nice house that you know has great lighting in the day and then take one at nite and show it to your customers. A pic is worth a 1000 words. Also some ins. companies offer discounts for out door lighting

good point mac... never knew about insurance companies offering discounts... Anyone got more info on that ?

Pro-Scapes
03-21-2006, 12:47 AM
I also am going to go about it like Kirk mentioned earlier. If you do come across the people that want it all but just cant spring for it all at once just install what they can afford now. But in doing so make it easy to add on later.
Treat them well, give a warranty on what you have done explaining it is void if anyone else messes with it, and they will call back to add more lighting.

im doing this now with a client. 1200 watt trans altho its only 12 lights right now. Gives him A) no excuse not to light what he wants later B) an incentive to expand later C) He actually APPRECIATES me watching out for him and saving him money later. I think once they see how nice the front will look the back and sides will come REALLLLLY soon. Much better than a demo.. Set them up with a "starter" system but make sure you get the larger power in there now to drive the costs down.

sheshovel
03-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Ok I will try you guys advises all of them!

NightScenes
03-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I have many clients that want it done in phases. I also always up-size my transformer and let them know that they have room for expansion.