PDA

View Full Version : Dump Kit

jazak
03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey guys I'm looking @ purchasing an 05 2500 GMC 4x4. I want to put a dump kit in NOT an insert. Do you guys have any sugestions or know any good manufacturers.

jazak
03-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Here is the pick of one of the 2 trucks I'm looking @ the other is exactly the same just tan.

NEUSWEDE
03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
My question is why? Why a dump kit over an insert?

Second if you go with the dump kit get have the bed reinforced or my bet is you'll ruin the bed!

Northern tool has one for like $900

biglawndog
03-20-2006, 05:42 PM
My question is why? Why a dump kit over an insert?

Second if you go with the dump kit get have the bed reinforced or my bet is you'll ruin the bed!

Northern tool has one for like $900

I've been doing it for years and never once "ruined" a bed. :weightlifter: If you can weld you can buy a kit and do it yourself. If not, ask your local truck dealer who does his hoists. I just got a price of 2400.00. :dizzy: It might be a little high though. Should be able to get it done for 1800.00 or so.

NEUSWEDE
03-20-2006, 06:48 PM
I've been doing it for years and never once "ruined" a bed. :weightlifter: If you can weld you can buy a kit and do it yourself. If not, ask your local truck dealer who does his hoists. I just got a price of 2400.00. :dizzy: It might be a little high though. Should be able to get it done for 1800.00 or so.

Maybe I got confused, but does he want a hoist with a flatbed or just one of those kits that you bolt to the frame and the pick-up bed?

I thought he meant this:
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/330902_lg.jpg

biglawndog
03-20-2006, 08:23 PM
I think thats what he's talking about neuswede. Your right, the kits start at 900.00. To have it done its around 1800.00. Have you seen beds messed up because of the hoist?

NEUSWEDE
03-20-2006, 08:33 PM
I think thats what he's talking about neuswede. Your right, the kits start at 900.00. To have it done its around 1800.00. Have you seen beds messed up because of the hoist?

Yup, I saw a guy one day when I was getting mulch, he was putting it in his bed and I asked him about the rack he built and he told me that it was built to make his bed stronger for the hoist he had, he said he put it on the stock bed and ran it and within the first year destroyed the bed from the weight all he was hauling was mulch and grass and leaves.
had to buy a new bed and had it all reinforced underneathe and then had the rack and rails welded to stop it from bending out.
This was on a 96 3500 GMC SRW.
I don't know from experience just going on what I heard!

biglawndog
03-20-2006, 08:49 PM
WOW, I've loaded mine down with rock, dirt,sand grass etc. and never had a problem.:nono: Well,I did have a hinge break on time but never any problems with the bed itself. I've actually had it so loaded down the hoist couldn't lift it!:weightlifter:

jazak
03-20-2006, 09:42 PM
1) I want the truck to look like a pickup so I can use it for personal use.
2)I used to be a welder so I know jow to rienforce the bed.
3)I want a hoist NOT a flatbed
I just wanted to know what you guys had to say and know if anyone prefered a manufacturer over another.

instyle
03-21-2006, 08:41 PM
wow, where can I get that Kit. I love the idea, even if I have to reinforce the bed. You say northern tool......are they online?

NEUSWEDE
03-21-2006, 08:46 PM
wow, where can I get that Kit. I love the idea, even if I have to reinforce the bed. You say northern tool......are they online?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=truck%20hoist&Nty=1&D=truck%20hoist&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

find your model truck!

RedWingsDet
03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
im with neuswede on this one. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen. I understand that it is your personal truck and all, but IMO, your going to pay alot more in the long run. Also with an insert you can put it in a new truck a few years down the road when you get a new one. Plus, with having that hoist, it sure as heck can not help the resale value for the truck. If I were you, even though its a personal truck, I'd get an insert.