PDA

View Full Version : new business adventure

rmartin
03-20-2006, 06:16 PM
I was thinking of adding fence installation to our services. Just checking to see if any of you here have ventured into this aspect also. When dealing with the customers what is your markup on fence and posts?

bigviclbi
03-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I get a contactors discount charge delivery and retail.

cedarcroft
03-20-2006, 07:54 PM
I sub it out. He gives me 15% of the total and his prices are very competitive if not cheaper than most people around my area. so my point is, I believe there is GOOD money in fences.
The guy I use does nothing but fences and deals only with contractors, so he is good and has great prices.

Drafto
03-20-2006, 11:46 PM
I was thinking of adding fence installation to our services. Just checking to see if any of you here have ventured into this aspect also. When dealing with the customers what is your markup on fence and posts?

Mark-up? That is a very broad term. All of our fence and posts are delivered to our lot, unloaded, stocked, sometimes moved once or twice for access to something else......I guess we figure the cost of all of these things into our "mark-up".

Dan

orionkf
03-21-2006, 12:01 AM

We've always done fences, and a good part of our income is from fencing. Once you do a couple fences, you should get a good idea of production rates, then just figure in what you need to make per hour, day, week, etc. You could call fencers from the phone book to get an idea of prices in your area for your first few if you need to.

Materials costs seems to be a much higher percentage of the total project cost, especially with higher end products like vinyl and aluminum, so labor will make or break you. There are many little tricks of the trade to increase production rates, and each material is a little different, so it would be most helpful if you could find someone experienced to work with.

neversatisfiedj
03-21-2006, 08:12 AM
We do fences - I have 5 to do now !