PDA

View Full Version : intermatic mechanical timer malfunction

bblawncare
03-20-2006, 08:16 PM
first of all i would like to say hello to everyone. i have been visiting this site for months now and have learned a ton of information from all the posts and replies. i finally figured i should register and become a part of the community-my business is primarily lawn care, but i am starting to get into landscaping and irrigation also. i hope to be able to get my irrigation license in florida in the next couple of years. any way here is my problem: i have a customer who had his "electrician nephew" install a new intermatic mechanical timer. this timer runs to a valve which controls an indexing valve. everything works great except when the switch is set to automatic operation-the system comes on instantly instead of waiting until the correct time and day. could this be mixed wires or something amiss in the valve? any thoughts would be appreciated.

barb

jerryrwm
03-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Barb,

The intermatic timer is usually used for lights, pool equipment, heaters, etc. If it is a 24 volt timer, then it is usally used for low voltage lights sold at Lowe's etc. Tell them to try and get a K-Rain timer that is made to operate those indexing valves. It's a lot easier to operate. And K-Rain is made there in Florida so it shuld be a little easier to get.

PurpHaze
03-21-2006, 08:25 AM
could this be mixed wires or something amiss in the valve?barb

Like Jerry said... welcome and he's got the answer. :waving:

bblawncare
03-21-2006, 07:34 PM
geez, i do not want to sound argumentative in only my second post, but here in florida intermatic mechanical timers with 14 day skipper wheels are used far more than k-rain-even though k-rain is made a few miles down the road. every irrigation man i know does not want to use that "cheap plastic crap". i would say out of my 100+ lawn customers 85-90% have intermatic timers on indexing valves-most of the rest have the programmable timers with individual valves for each zone. i don't have to worry too much about this since i am not the one who installed it. i just saw this as an opportunity to learn something and help my customer. thank you for your replies.

Wet_Boots
03-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Echo the OP, since the Intermatic timer that runs the master valve that runs the indexing valve is a solid piece of equipment, from the good old days of 'bulletproof' mechanical controllers. I would suspect installer error long before a timer fault.

bblawncare
03-24-2006, 07:44 PM
just an update on the problem-problem solved. the brass piece that connects the time dial to the skipper wheel was installed upside down which made the automatic switch react as the "permanent on" switch. i studied the make up and workings of a properly functioning intermatic timer and realized the problem with the bad one. i took the skipper wheel off and put the brass piece on correctly and everything worked !:clapping:

PurpHaze
03-25-2006, 11:06 AM
just an update on the problem-problem solved. the brass piece that connects the time dial to the skipper wheel was installed upside down which made the automatic switch react as the "permanent on" switch. i studied the make up and workings of a properly functioning intermatic timer and realized the problem with the bad one. i took the skipper wheel off and put the brass piece on correctly and everything worked !:clapping:

That's great to hear. If nothing else your post inspired me to hone up on indexing valves. Don't know of any used in my area but found some great stuff on using them in shallow well situations in Florida. :waving: