PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed or Not

Stugots
03-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Ive been using various open trailers for the past few years and this past winter i decided to sell them before putting to much money into them for repairs. What do you think about enclosed trailers? I like the ideas of equipment stayin inside, cleaner, drier, can keep everything needed right in the trailer. Im sick of hearing oh we didnt have this or that so we came back to pick it up. With-out a dump trailer, not being able to pick up bulk materials mulch, topsoil, rocks might be a pain. I can have friends help me out with their trailers or have materials delivered all the time. The enclosed im looking at is a 8.5x20 for 3 riders. Thanks

Moretta Lawn Care
03-21-2006, 07:52 AM
You are pretty much right. What kind of truck are you going to be pulling this with? The easy way to get around not haveing a dump trialer is to get a dumb truck. Say a F-450 or Dodge 3500 with a dump bed. This will allow you to pull the trialer to the site and then place top soils etc. in the dump. Just an idea.

lawnmaniac883
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
I would go enclosed but then again I dont know how much mulch you plan on installing/trees you plan on trimming etc.

Off topic but dodge is introducing a cab and chassis version of their 3500 trucks. Also, in november or so of this year they will introduce a 4500 and 5500 series cab and chassis with a 6.7liter cummins and a AISIN 6speed transmission.

Toy2
03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
You really need both, my enclosed is a 6 by 12///single axle, my open is 6 by 16////dual axle....can't live without either of them....Toyota with a V6 pulls them just fine...

LonniesLawns
03-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Or -- do what I did!

MysticLandscape
03-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Or -- do what I did!

That thing must have a heavy up front, does the truck sag at all, looks like you got a chevy 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.

LonniesLawns
03-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Yes -- it is tongue heavy -- but my 3/4 ton handle sit well.

It is an over built -- very strong 14,000# capacity trailer.

It is not for everyone -- but works bery nice for me who doeas a lot of small to medium landscape renovations. ABle to take all of my needed toolsinthe enclosed box and still hold up to 10 yards of bulk material in the back.

Jusmowin
03-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Why not buy a high sided open trailer (4 ft expanded mesh sides)and if you need to cover it just throw a tarp over it.

Ric3077
03-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Ya like mine...for pics view this thred and scroll down a little...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=129832&page=3

LonniesLawns
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
That would also be an option -- jusmowin. It would not be as secure or as weatherproof or as easy to keep organized.

I would not suggest this setup for a mowing operation. Instead -- better suited for small softscape installations.

drsogr
03-23-2006, 01:50 PM
That is an awesome setup. Where in Kansas are you at? Did you build that yourself...or did you buy it like that? I have ofton thought about doing something similiar. We do all landscaping...it would fit our needs perfectly. Currently I own a tahoe and I put all of my tools and smaller supplies in the back of it. It works out alright.

LonniesLawns
03-23-2006, 02:16 PM
I live in Johnsons county

Had to coordinate between two builders out of Sikeston, MO -- an enclosed builder and open trailer builder.

Ric3077
03-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Who did the open work...I used JJN Enterprises in Sikeston...

LonniesLawns
03-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Honestly -- I don't remember who it was.

Ric3077
03-23-2006, 02:33 PM
That's cool...yea there is like 30 dealers in that little hole in the wall town it's funny. :laugh:

MysticLandscape
03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
That's cool...yea there is like 30 dealers in that little hole in the wall town it's funny. :laugh:

How do you like that stander, i wanted to get that exact one, how much did you pay for it?

Ric3077
03-23-2006, 11:37 PM
I love it...you can see everything so well you are right on top of everything... I don't know if that makes sense, but iif you have demo'd one you know what I mean. I is a perfect size for the lots I deal with too...and the rapid height is way more expensive but I won't buy it without it. I paid $5900 for it and like $200 for the grass gobbler. Pretty solid unit...check 'em out...but you get the best price on them after fall...

Mr. Vern
03-23-2006, 11:50 PM
That is the craziest setup I have ever seen(that's the good kinda crazy). You said you can get 10 yards in that thing, it doesn't look that big. Now all you need to do is make it dump. Very cool.

If youre looking at an enclosed, don't make the mistake I made. Get one with room to stand up inside. I am 6'1 and can't stand up in my 6x12, so it gets left at the yard a lot and it gets really messy because no one wants to stay bent over in there long enough to pick up after themselves. We are constantly on the jobs saying "we should have brought the trailer", but when we go to leave for a job we always think we can get by without it. I think I am going to decomission it and use it to haul the dirt bikes and maybe get a bigger one for the business. We have it set up for sprinkler jobs only at this point.

Moretta Lawn Care
03-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Who makes your trailer. I have a United 6x12 and I am about 6'2-6'3 and have no trouble standing up in it. Now I can't walk into it standing upright but I can stand up just fine once i get in. I am sure I will eventually hit my head though. :hammerhead:

qualitylandscaping
03-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Ive been using various open trailers for the past few years and this past winter i decided to sell them before putting to much money into them for repairs. What do you think about enclosed trailers? I like the ideas of equipment stayin inside, cleaner, drier, can keep everything needed right in the trailer. Im sick of hearing oh we didnt have this or that so we came back to pick it up. With-out a dump trailer, not being able to pick up bulk materials mulch, topsoil, rocks might be a pain. I can have friends help me out with their trailers or have materials delivered all the time. The enclosed im looking at is a 8.5x20 for 3 riders. Thanks

Call Davis Trailer World.. (800)693-2184
They are great to deal with. Wouldn't take my business anywhere else!

LonniesLawns
03-24-2006, 08:07 PM
back is 12 x 7 with 4' sides -- 10 yards mulch easy. 6 yards soil is about the limitbefore itis too squirrely bacuseof so much weight in the back

CC Lawncare
03-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Nice setup! 10 yards will definitely fit(12+ actually) but man you must be killing your truck. Is it all flat where you are?

Mr. Vern
03-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Who makes your trailer. I have a United 6x12 and I am about 6'2-6'3 and have no trouble standing up in it. Now I can't walk into it standing upright but I can stand up just fine once i get in. I am sure I will eventually hit my head though. :hammerhead:

Not sure, I'll have to check next time I'm at the shop. I know there are some that are taller, I just didn't get one of them - big mistake! That's why I mentioned it so I could help someone else avoid the same mistake.