PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Tansformers

SamIV
03-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Going to try mounting a small electronic transformer inside a large 6 inch brass canopy under the eave of a house to utilize the line voltage switch inside the house. It is a 50 watt dimmable with auto reset protection designed for halogen lamps only. I will be using only one 20 watt MR16. I was told that it has to be mounted in its own enclosure as per code. Do any of you know code on this issue.
This fixture will be the only fixture on this switch. Customer is requesting this as he will use this sparingly and did not want me to use his gutter to run wire up to it and this method would require a separate transformer.

Sam IV

Pro-Scapes
03-21-2006, 10:34 AM
hey Burt that sounds interesting. If you could take some pics... I am looking to do something similar at my own home and utilize the wires for the existing porch light but run about 6 low volt lights in a moon light effect around the porch instead of the big light in the ceiling (its ugly)

mgm
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
As long as the transformer remains accessible and the 120 volt wire connections are contained within a junction box ( handi box , 1900 box or 4 square box ) it shouldn't be a code issue.

SamIV
03-21-2006, 11:19 PM
MGM, I'm going to have to mount the transformer inside the canopy but everthing will be accessible. Can't get to the wires inside the attic and can't mount a J-box of any kind. Going to utilize the 6" x 3" large brass canopy as the J-box. The transformer and all wires will be contained but not in a J-box.

Sam IV

NightScenes
03-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Going to try mounting a small electronic transformer inside a large 6 inch brass canopy under the eave of a house to utilize the line voltage switch inside the house. It is a 50 watt dimmable with auto reset protection designed for halogen lamps only. I will be using only one 20 watt MR16. I was told that it has to be mounted in its own enclosure as per code. Do any of you know code on this issue.
This fixture will be the only fixture on this switch. Customer is requesting this as he will use this sparingly and did not want me to use his gutter to run wire up to it and this method would require a separate transformer.

Sam IV

I would check with your local inspector. Local codes must meet or exceed the NEC. Your local inspector will let you know if this is good.