PDA

View Full Version : Supply Question

TPnTX
03-21-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm not a irrigation installer but I do have a question. Are any of the products from HD or Lowes worth installing or is it all crap. Heads controllers and such? Is it the same with some of their other products in terms of commercial/residential quality.

I do have a small job I thinking of doing. So it wouldn't be like I'm buying supplies constantly.

thanks

BSME
03-21-2006, 08:32 AM
crap....

I dont know about the supply houses in TX but...

when I first started doing sprinklers on the side, all I had to do was open an account at John Deere and they immediately would start giving you pretty huge savings... If it works the same I would open an account, tell them you are going to get into irrigation and they'll answer all your questions. Even if you only buy for the one or two jobs...

... anyway... you could do that here...

BSME
03-21-2006, 08:33 AM
i didn't stress how easy it was to open an account....

I had to give them my name and phone number

gusbuster
03-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm not a irrigation installer but I do have a question. Are any of the products from HD or Lowes worth installing or is it all crap. Heads controllers and such? Is it the same with some of their other products in terms of commercial/residential quality.

I do have a small job I thinking of doing. So it wouldn't be like I'm buying supplies constantly.

thanks

Not all the stuff is crap,not the best stuff either. However, the same thing can be bought for almost half price at an irrigation house.

The Yard Barber, Inc.
03-21-2006, 01:17 PM
I buy from John deere landscapes too. I have found that some of the products are close to the same. I know that john deere only comes where i live in tuesdays and thursdays. If i have to get only a few things, i will buy from lowes. but if i have time to wait, then its john deere landscapes all the way

Grassmechanic
03-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Some of the fittings, funny pipe, wire are the same. HD also carries RB1800 heads, which are the same. Stay away from the Toro stuff.

Better yet, just buy what you need at the many irrigation supply houses on the 'net. Marsan Turf is a good one to start with, among others.

Dirty Water
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
My HD carries "consumer" branded RB 1800's...They aren't the same as the ones we get from JD or Fowler.

TPnTX
03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
And the controllers are they good prices at JD?

Im doing landscape for this guy down the street. We're ont in the country and he has a huge yard. It's a field acutally so the only irrigation will be for the beds around the house and entry gate.

thanks for the help.

ESprinklers
03-22-2006, 05:25 AM
TP..

Exactly what are you looking for specifically?

TPnTX
03-22-2006, 08:01 AM
[Exactly what are you looking for specifically?]

What type controller am I looking for?
I wanted to know if the Orbit 12 station at HomeDepot for 100.00 is wort using or is it part of the crap pile.

TPnTX
03-22-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm going to head to the nearest JD supply and let them do a take-off.

Az Gardener
03-22-2006, 08:42 AM

I wanted to know if the Orbit 12 station at HomeDepot for 100.00 is wort using or is it part of the crap pile.

Yes its crap. Get a Rain Dial or Hunter from an irrigation house.

gusbuster
03-22-2006, 10:24 AM

Your asking a bunch of professionals if orbit is crap.....well thats like asking a kid if candy is bad for them.

Lets look at facts. Many of the pro brands are identical to consumer timers(example look at the toro irritrol timers and hardie)

Orbit has been around H.D. for how many years?..they must be doing something right. Quite frankly, for features to cost...it's an option for a homeowner install.

The way I would look at it, if my timer is to go, where would be my clostest replacement?
John

TPnTX
03-24-2006, 08:19 AM
[Your asking a bunch of professionals if orbit is crap.....well thats like asking a kid if candy is bad for them]

the kid to professional analogy may make sense to you but it doesn't translate well to me. :)

I figured orbit has been out there for years in the industry. However if HD stocks your product you very well may have sold your companies sole to do it.
Case in point, Moen faucets. the product you buy isn't even close to what you would get at a supply company. Plastic/teflon innards compared to brass.

It's harder for me to tell if the Orbit controller is any good. I don't know anything about them. So I come here and ask.

Since it is electronic instead of moving parts, it may very well have survived the companies efforts to compete in the WalMart/Lowes/Home Depot universe.

DanaMac
03-24-2006, 08:50 AM
The Orbit may work just fine, but I find it a pain in the ***. I have probably 6-10 customers with that controller, and I don't like it. I want simplicity! Easy to use! Easy to instruct the owner how to use it!

I would stay away from it.

Hunter has a fairly new, and economical clock now, and Ewing has them at about $49 for 6 stations. I used 2 last year to replace 2 others at a couple rental properties I take care of. Not the best controller, but decent. Still better than the Orbit.
http://hunterindustries.com/Products/Controllers/ecintro.html

bumper
03-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Generally you will not find landscape/irrigation professionals in HD or Lowes...maybe on occassion for convenience sake....but the backbone of irrigation materials are purchased through supply houses..Ewing, John Deere, Hydroscape etc.

It's kinda like asking if Landscape pros use HD or Lowes for plant material.. They may in a pinch...

gusbuster
03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
[Your asking a bunch of professionals if orbit is crap.....well thats like asking a kid if candy is bad for them]

the kid to professional analogy may make sense to you but it doesn't translate well to me. :)

I figured orbit has been out there for years in the industry. However if HD stocks your product you very well may have sold your companies sole to do it.
Case in point, Moen faucets. the product you buy isn't even close to what you would get at a supply company. Plastic/teflon innards compared to brass.

It's harder for me to tell if the Orbit controller is any good. I don't know anything about them. So I come here and ask.

Since it is electronic instead of moving parts, it may very well have survived the companies efforts to compete in the WalMart/Lowes/Home Depot universe.
The point that I was trying to make is that 90% people who participate on this forum will tell you that it is crap for no other reason than it is primarily marketed to the do it yourselfer.

Quite frankly, the features that they come out with vs the cost of a pro grade timer, heck it is hard to beat.

As I said in my previous point, probably after cost, reliability, the next important issue is availability to replace. If the irrigation house is handy, then by all means I would go with a pro grade timer, but if it is easier for you to go to a h.d., then go with Orbit.

The Orbit line has been with H.D. for a long time. They wouldn't be selling them if they were always getting customer returns on the orbit product line.

Dirty Water
03-24-2006, 06:57 PM
The Orbit line has been with H.D. for a long time. They wouldn't be selling them if they were always getting customer returns on the orbit product line.

This is because DIY PITA's will always be around to buy them and install crappy systems.

ESprinklers
03-25-2006, 06:50 AM
TPnTX,

For $100 you can pick up either a Hunter SRC or a Rainbird ESP controller and this debate will end.

koster_irrigation
03-25-2006, 07:53 AM
I'll go to lowes and pick up some fittings if im desperate and the supply house doesnt have a delivery truck coming to wilson soon.

pvc fittings, also decent quality are their NDS 10" round VB or standard NDS plastic meter box, dawn pvc/ funny pipe barb built in fittings, shovel handles all are good

PurpHaze
03-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Heck... under normal conditions... parts are parts. What I mean is that a tee, 90 or stick of pipe from True Value, Lowes or anywhere else will work perfectly fine in the ground. Heck... some of them even are made by Spears, KBI, Lasco just like the ones we get in the supply houses. What separates the men from the boys are the valves, controllers and sprinklers. This is where personal experience and values come in which make us decide which products to use under certain circumstances. If you aren't ready to adapt then you systems will be outdated before they are even installed. :laugh: