PDA

View Full Version : Managing a large bid?

BSDeality
03-21-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm putting together a bid on a large site now. I've started coming up with a materials list (plant list given with requirements). What I'm having a hard time with is how to wrinkle out the details.

Its roughly 1100 trees/shrubs/plants plus about 8K sprigs of groundcover.

Plans spec 1:3 peatmoss:soil with a 2x diameter hole to rootball. Is there a general formula to figure out the approx. volume of peat/soil I'm going to need. being off by 20% on this large of a scale can be financial nightmare.

My plan so far is to have my topsoil guy mix the peat/soil for me since its such a large volume. I'm sending the plant list out tomorrow to my supplier. I plan on getting an auger with a 24" bit for some planting, but much of it I will just use a mini-ex to dig out trenches for the plants. Some of these trees are going to need 48" holes, guess thats where the mini-ex will really strive. I plan on setting up a staging area hopefully out of view ( but not too far) with a chainlink fence and barb wire, then set up a sprinkler system to keep things wet during the day. I plan on moving B&B's with a skid-steer with a transport box plus grabbing a set of forks and a big spoon to move the larger stuff.

Does this sound reasonable? This would be my largest job to date and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.
--Matt

richallseasons
03-21-2006, 11:25 PM
when i get into a situation or bidding on a large job that makes me feel overwhelmed like you probably do now i tell myself to break it down into pieces and work each piece separately,when you do that everything comes together in the end and next time out its not so overwhelming.it sounds like you know what to do ,just have the confidence and you will be fine. good luck:weightlifter:

start2finish
03-22-2006, 08:09 AM
most companies here on a large commercial bid don't do the 2x excavation for trees. Just drill a hole and slam the tree in. I'm not saying it is right, but if you are pricing/planning on doing things this way be sure to point this out. Maybe if the low bid is cutting this corner you will draw attention to it and he will have to install correctly.

BSDeality
03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
these trees/plants are going to need the 2x breathing room, they've moved many layers of soil around plus they compact it with a 30+ ton roller like they use on landfills. I plan on bidding it by the contract and plan to emphasis that I will not be cutting corners like some of the other bidders may do. I'm off to my suppliers today to get a little more pricing updates and have them give me some quotes. I'm making progress through the bidsheet, but its certainly not complete yet.

start2finish
03-22-2006, 04:04 PM
PM me for a good tree contact, he will ship the trees to you. I have his catalog and can give you the pricing. He will negotiate with that quantity. Also check on how much substituting they will allow. Lots of times the engineer will add trees and such to the drawing to meet codes. He isn't paying attention to the type of tree and sometimes your competition will bid (example engineer speced 2 inch cal. oak trees, well a 2inch cal red maple will cover all requirements and is half the price) there is a way to cut costs there. If you are planning on the 2x hole size make this clear to the customer because it is seldom done on large projects here. I agree it needs to be done, but they are only looking at $$$$

BSDeality
03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
I stopped in today at the jobsite to take another look as well as to speak with the Super, unfortunately the guy in charge of the bids wasn't in, so I couldn't ask him some questions I have, but things are still looking good for the bidding process.

The plant list is spec'd to the cultivar/variety with exact heights they want. For now I'm going to assume the plant list is set in concrete and the plants will not change. The super runs a tight ship over there.

BSDeality
03-22-2006, 05:48 PM
I just recieved a fax from my supplier... over $73K in plant material. WOWZERS!