PDA

View Full Version : What size.....

DanaMac
03-22-2006, 10:22 AM
This relates to the recent GPM thread. What size supply line and meter do you guys have for most residences in your areas? The majority, probably at least 90%, in our Colorado Springs area are 3/4" copper with the 5/8(3/4) meter, with pressure typically around 50-60 psi.

I work on many systems with those specs that are not not designed within what we call standard, if you calculate GPM, friction loss, pipe size, blah, blah, blah, and they work fine, and have for years and years. 15 GPM on the zones will USUALLY work fine here, and still no water hammer, and with ideal throw from the heads. I would rather see 10-12 GPM, but I didn't install these. But when I was still installing, I would occasionally go around 15 to prevent having to do another zone. I know some systems that were put in with much higher GPM figured, but the pressure is a lot higher as well.

A lot of our systems do have a second PRV to allow higher psi for the system than what the house uses. Sometimes adjusting the pressure higher will allow me to get the system operating better if the designed GPM is just too out of whack.

So I'm just wondering what most supply and meter sizes are in your areas.

DanaMac
03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Oh yeah, most of our systems have PVBs about 70%, and RPs 15%, remaining 15% either have AVBs (older systems that haven't converted), or the anti-siphon valves (zone valves that basically have a AVB built into the body and stick above ground). No DCs, they don't meet requirements here, although I have about 3-4 customers with them already.

Flow Control
03-22-2006, 11:15 AM
An homeowner can upgrade to an 1" meter for an reasonable price. Are you talking about true water hammer with a zone is shutting down or are you talking about the pipes making a noise when the zone is powering up?

SprinklerGuy
03-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Wow! Dana I'm impressed you have actually serviced every home in COSprings....leave some customers for the rest of us wouldya?

Ground Master
03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
right on Tony!, I think I still have one customer left thou, but mom and dad may soon fire me-haha

Dana- I see the same thing, although I've noticed that those pushing 15+ gpm a zone start to have problems.

I have one customer with the the 5/8 x3/4 meter pushing at least 20 gpm. Several of his zones have 9 hunter pgp's- and they work well. His system is tapped in less than 20' from the street main.

The biggest resi system I've seen is a 1.5" meter and service line!

SprinklerGuy
03-22-2006, 11:40 AM
BTW...the 2 clients I have I got from Dana.....so I shouldn't bite the hand that feeds.

And for what it's worth...I agree...most I have seen are 3/4 / 5/8....

DanaMac
03-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Oooops! I'm not saying I worked on EVERY home. You know what I mean.
Why you bustin' my balls?

SprinklerGuy
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Just stir crazy I suppose......geesh, don't take it so hard ;)

Dirty Water
03-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Every home on the "water grid" in my area is serviced bya 5/8 meter, old homes usually have a .75" feed line, newer homes have been 1.25". Average pressure is between 45-55, average GPM is about 15.

We also have many customers on wells, these vary a great bit.

We are in buried DC land, we tap directly off the meter.

DanaMac
03-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Who said I'm taking it too hard? You #@&* &$#@*&!

Why don't you go shovel some snow so you can turn a few systems on!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)