PDA

View Full Version : Help Pricing A Sod Install - Customer had a disaster

lawnsplus
03-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Well I am kind of new here.

I have a potential customer that had a disaster last fall.

They had another contractor install a patio and they drove over the lawn several hundred times with a bobcat, the grass was only 6 months old at that point and still very soft.

Well needless to say they had a mess.

Now to make matters worse they tried to fix it them selves and it looks horrible.

Anyway, the way I see it is they need to have 2100 Square feet of existing turf cut out, ruts need to be graded and leveled, and they insist on new sod and not seed.

So a run down on this would be:

2100 square feet of prep- 4 hours? 2 guys $280.00
Sod cost is 346.66 x 1.75 = charge $600.00 for sod
.35 per square foot installation charge x 2100 = $735
Roller and sod cutter rental $100 cost for the day. x 1.75= $175
Material disposal fee of $100.00 x 1.75 = $175

So does this prep time sound like it is enough time for 2 people considering the mess the yard is in now?
What markup do you charge on materials? (obviously I was thinking 75%)
Is .35 per square foot or $3.00 per square yard a good price to install?
Labor rates vary I know but I am currently charging $35.00 per man hour, is this too high or too low?

At my current price this would be quoted at $1965.00

Also some of the existing sod could be reused, after I cut it out and grade the area, is this feasible? I think at least 50% of it could be salvaged.

Thanks guys and gals,

Glenn

PSUturf
03-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Salvaging sod - It's more trouble than it's worth. You won't be able to get nice uniform pieces because the original seams from when it was laid might still be there and the Bobcat tracks would have made the thickness uneven.
$35 per man hour - If your in the huntley west of Chicago that I'm thinking of you should be charging $50 per hour
$3 per yard - Our installed price is $6.25 per yard which includes sod, labor to lay and finish grade the soil

Your prep time sound good. I'd up the total price a few hundred.

lawnsplus
03-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Anyone else with some more info?

Opinions?

hmmm.....

Stuckwithit
03-23-2006, 10:53 AM
the easiset method I have used the past four years....figure out your total price for material, typically mark it up 100%, how many man hours, and see what money it is worth to you at the given time.

ferdinand711
03-25-2007, 11:54 PM
grading, cleanup (preparation) 2100 sq ft=$325.00
sod installed @$2.45/sq yard(1 roll)x240 sq yrd(2100/9) =$588
dumping fee/disposal=$200
equipment rental=???

I charged $650 grading/prep. per 850-900 sq ft(1,000 rolls)double it if it needs clean up like this,$2.45/sq yrd(1 roll)installed, thats materials and labor. your area is 2100 sq ft divide it by 9 to get the sq yrd=233.333 round it up to 240 sq yrd(240 rolls).thats what i charged for disposal and I don't know how much is your equipment rentals. I'm from Northwest Indiana, I'm not saying you should charge them like this but i hope you'll get an idea of where to play your prices. Hope this will help.

xpnd
03-26-2007, 09:21 AM
2100sft of sod installed = $2100.00. That is by my estimates at least 5 pallets of sod that will need to be delivered to the job site by the sod company. I would add some minor additional money for prep and haul off.

BW Landscaping
03-26-2007, 11:19 PM
i make it very easy for me and the customer.....to many numbers confuse the customer (and me :rolleyes: )

i make it $0.99 to $1.09 a sq ft, feel the customer out, well that works for me

ACutAboveNC
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I charge $1 a sq ft to make things easy on me. You can spend all day figuring out how much everything will cost you in the end and it will come up to about $1 a sqft.

bishoplandscape
03-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Just to install the sod assuming its already prepped we would charge 2.55sq ft that includes sod and labor and we do acres a year. Sod here only cost me
.11-.12sq ft so we install for around .28sq ft... But for something that small we would charge more.

ferdinand711
03-29-2007, 11:45 PM
we get the sod at $0.17/sq ft that's $1.53/sq yrd(1 roll) and the charge here is from $2.35-$3.00/sq yrd installed (labor and materials) if you include grading its about $3.10-3.75 (labor,materials and grading)per sq yrd. but you guys are talking $1.00/sq ft that's $9.00/sq yrd(1 roll)of sod. gee!!!! you guys are blessed, grass must be greener on your side of the fence.

xpnd
03-30-2007, 09:18 AM
we get the sod at $0.17/sq ft that's $1.53/sq yrd(1 roll) and the charge here is from $2.35-$3.00/sq yrd installed (labor and materials) if you include grading its about $3.10-3.75 (labor,materials and grading)per sq yrd. but you guys are talking $1.00/sq ft that's $9.00/sq yrd(1 roll)of sod. gee!!!! you guys are blessed, grass must be greener on your side of the fence.

I will do sod jobs all day long at $1.00/sqft. Anything less and doesn't interest me. When we lay sod, it is delivered direct from the farm to the customer's site and it is installed the next day. It hasn't been sitting in the yard for a couple of days drying out getting nasty. Laying it right is very labor intensive. When we are done, it doesn't look like a new yard. If the customer wants a cheaper price he is more than welcome to get someone in there that will toss it down like a deck of playing cards, leave gaps, not apply starter fert, and roll it dry with an empty sod roller. I'm thinking about increasing my price to $1.25/sqft.

It is not always the cost of materials and labor that sets my price but also the perceived value.

globil
03-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I've been asked to bid a 15,000 S.F. sod lawn and after reading these responses I have 2 questions. Would you guys price my job any lower because of the quantity? Also a question for PSU Turf, since I'm in Wisconsin I'm especially interested in your response, but if you take 2100 divided by 9 you get 233.3 S.Y., Rounded to 240 S.Y. and multiplied by $6.25 I come up with $1500.00, yet you advised the first questioner to raise his price higher than $1925.00. What am I missing?

ferdinand711
03-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I will do sod jobs all day long at $1.00/sqft. Anything less and doesn't interest me. When we lay sod, it is delivered direct from the farm to the customer's site and it is installed the next day. It hasn't been sitting in the yard for a couple of days drying out getting nasty. Laying it right is very labor intensive. When we are done, it doesn't look like a new yard. If the customer wants a cheaper price he is more than welcome to get someone in there that will toss it down like a deck of playing cards, leave gaps, not apply starter fert, and roll it dry with an empty sod roller. I'm thinking about increasing my price to $1.25/sqft.

It is not always the cost of materials and labor that sets my price but also the perceived value.

I have nothing against what interests you nor am i against your price. I am just trying to say thats how the prices are around here, well were not even in the same area and you can't do sod jobs all day long for $9.00/roll here either because you ain't gonna get any customer.

RedWingsDet
03-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Just to install the sod assuming its already prepped we would charge 2.55sq ft that includes sod and labor and we do acres a year. Sod here only cost me
.11-.12sq ft so we install for around .28sq ft... But for something that small we would charge more.

Man oh man thats cheap. I get it for the same price as you, .121 cents per sq ft and I am charging atleast a $1 per sq foot. Is there a reason your installing so cheap? Because I can get jobs all day long at a $1 per sq ft.

justanotherlawnguy
03-31-2007, 12:24 AM
I've been asked to bid a 15,000 S.F. sod lawn and after reading these responses I have 2 questions. Would you guys price my job any lower because of the quantity?

15k sf, thats a semi and a half full of sod. I might give them a little break in price for the quantity, but not much. More sod just means more work. Now if you have 5 mexicans helping you that would be a different story.

We also charge $1/sf installed for sod but limit ourselves to jobs 2500sf and under.

xpnd
03-31-2007, 01:39 AM
I have nothing against what interests you nor am i against your price. I am just trying to say thats how the prices are around here, well were not even in the same area and you can't do sod jobs all day long for $9.00/roll here either because you ain't gonna get any customer.

That is exactly my point. At $9.00/roll I don't have to do sod jobs all day to make a reasonable profit. If I do one 2000sft sod install job at my prices, how many 2000sft jobs will you have to do at your prices to make the same net profit that I make? I am sure you are very busy laying sod but what would happen if you increased your price by say 10%. I wish I still had the chart that said, if you raised your price by a certain percent, you could eliminate x number of jobs and still maintain the same net profit. If memory serves me, a 10% increase in price can reflect a decrease in nearly 30% of your business without affecting your net profit. I do know it is not a linear realtionship.

Your install price is dirt cheap, no pun intended. Always being the low bidder doesn't always mean you win and certainly doesn't guarantee a profit. Bid slightly but reasonably higher, quit worrying about what everyone else charges, win fewer jobs and make more money with less work which is why anything less than $1.00.sft doesn't interest me. Bidding like this is very scary. I suggest that you test a few jobs like this and then run the numbers and you will see what I mean.

bishoplandscape
04-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Man oh man thats cheap. I get it for the same price as you, .121 cents per sq ft and I am charging atleast a $1 per sq foot. Is there a reason your installing so cheap? Because I can get jobs all day long at a $1 per sq ft.

First i would like to know how many acres you sod a year? a month? I'm not saying you cant get 1.00 sq ft when its a 300 sq ft job or maybe even 1000 sq ft job. But 90 percent of our jobs being over 10,000 sq ft our prices range between .28 -.45 a sq ft on average. Are you saying you can get $10,000 for just laying sod for 1 day of work thats almost 9,000 profit in one day on a 10,000 sq ft yard. You must be dreaming if you think you can get that. How about 20,000 sq ft you make 17,000 profit in 3 days i'd like to see that if you can sell for a $1 sq ft all day PM me and ill give you our number you can sub-contract us in. I think you better do a little more research and put a few more years under your belt before you try to knock our pricing.:nono:

RedWingsDet
04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
First i would like to know how many acres you sod a year? a month? I'm not saying you cant get 1.00 sq ft when its a 300 sq ft job or maybe even 1000 sq ft job. But 90 percent of our jobs being over 10,000 sq ft our prices range between .28 -.45 a sq ft on average. Are you saying you can get $10,000 for just laying sod for 1 day of work thats almost 9,000 profit in one day on a 10,000 sq ft yard. You must be dreaming if you think you can get that. How about 20,000 sq ft you make 17,000 profit in 3 days i'd like to see that if you can sell for a $1 sq ft all day PM me and ill give you our number you can sub-contract us in. I think you better do a little more research and put a few more years under your belt before you try to knock our pricing.:nono:

The $1 per sq ft is meant for yards 3-4k sq feet and under. Anything over that I pretty much dont do per sq ft.