PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Thumb on Smaller Mini's

ma5tr
03-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey eveyone,

Last year we purchased a cat 302.5c. It has ben an amazing asset to our company. We have made may bedrock armor stone walls since we have had it and it has lifted all of the stones that we have thrown at it at a fully extended length (over the side as well). You do have to move very slow, but it works.

We`are now thinking of getting a thumb, do you guys think getting a thumb for this small of machine would be pointless? We do alot of stone setting with it, but i dont know if the stones we use would be to big for the thumb to handle.

And before you start bashing me for getting a small machine the reason we did so was becasue of access restriction between buildings, and we wanted a standard ts machine since the 303cr we demoed didnt handle stones nearly as well.

Thanks for your input!!

ksss
03-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Personally I see no point in owning an excavtor without a thumb no matter what size the excavator is unless you never do anything more than dig holes with it. It must be difficult to build a rock wall without a thumb.

GreenMonster
03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
^^^^^

I agree completely. In a landscaping application, the thumb is priceless. I can't imagine not having one on the 331

badranman
03-22-2006, 04:27 PM
You may notice a slight reduction in carrying capacity due to the extra weight of the thumb but I think it's benifets far outweigh this little inconveinience. I also couldn't imagine not having a hydraulic thumb on my machines. It makes life so much easier. I'm actually rebuilding the "teeth" on one thumb just due to the number of rock walls we build with it. Here's one:
Anybody watch "Trailer Park Boys" on Showcase? Do you recognize this guy?

Planet Landscaping
03-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Couldnt live without a Hyd. thumb on a mini no more, GET IT

Scag48
03-22-2006, 05:48 PM
I've been on our 303 all day (first time in MONTHS!) and have used the thumb about 75% of the time. We wouldn't and couldn't be without one.

JDSKIDSTEER
03-22-2006, 06:33 PM
I've been on our 303 all day (first time in MONTHS!) and have used the thumb about 75% of the time. We wouldn't and couldn't be without one.
I agree. I would not have one without a thumb, but I sell few thumbs. Maybe I need to brush up on sales techniques???????:dizzy:

Dirty Water
03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
I agree. I would not have one without a thumb, but I sell few thumbs. Maybe I need to brush up on sales techniques???????:dizzy:

You would sell more if manufactures would just make them standard equipment :)

thepawnshop
03-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Kubota sticks come with the thumb weld already in place...as does the new "c" series cats, I beleive.

cuttinjoe
03-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Anybody watch "Trailer Park Boys" on Showcase? Do you recognize this guy?

John Dunsworth (Mr. Lahey):canadaflag: :canadaflag:

iowacatman
03-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Thumb good
hydraulic thumb even better