PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise?

TJLC
04-30-2001, 01:16 PM
I have a 93 Chevy c1500 4.3v6 pu. Sometimes when I turn the key to start it, all I get is a single click. It may do this 1-3 times and then start. I had the alt and batt checked. The alt was fine, the batt was weak, so I replaced it. It is still doing the single clicking when you turn the key. Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.

Fierospeeder
04-30-2001, 03:17 PM
the solenoid in your starter maybe going bad.

usually happens in chevy because of the heat and it eats the solenoids up.

PaulS
04-30-2001, 05:09 PM
Could be the starter itself, not just the solenoid. This happened to my '96 and the '95 owned by the company where I work.

Check all your connections, though. I had a Lada once that had this problem. I fixed it by crimping the spade plug attaching the wire from a relay to the solenoid with a pair of pliers...

Mudbug44s
04-30-2001, 08:44 PM
Have you checked the connection at the starter? If it is not tight and corrosion free it may have enough contact to make the solenoid "Click" but not enough to turn it over.

Try hitting the bottom of the starter with a Hammer not too hard, just enough to free up the starter gear and then try to start it. If she starts then you need to either get a new starter or pull the one you have and try to clean it up some. Dirt and Oil make a nasty glue on the starter gear shaft.

Just my .02 Good luck,

Andy

smalltime
05-01-2001, 01:24 AM
Check also, your ground wire.