PDA

View Full Version : pavers over concrete slab

neversatisfiedj
03-22-2006, 06:15 PM
I have a customer with a 15x15 concrete slab. 3 years old. He wants to put pavers over it .;) I'm guessing lay 3/4 inch sand and lay as a normal application and tamp over it. ?? Is there anything wrong with this ? For the edge restraint I was thinking of digging a trench around the slab and spiking the normal plastic snap edge there flush with the slab. Any thoughts , I hate do a patio this way and probably won't warranty it because if the slab fails so will the paver pavement.

--Josh

ma5tr
03-22-2006, 06:27 PM
I dont know for sure As I've never done it.....but to me it sound alright...you have a good foundation for the pavers they wont move as long as you have your bedding sand and ploymeric sand.

On second thought.....

The only thing that I can think of being a problem is the lack of drainage underneath the paver, thus traping a good amount of moisture. And if you are in a area that is suseptable to freeze/thaw cycles that may be a problem.

Interested in hearing other peoples opinions!

kris
03-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Does the slab already have a grade on it? How big of a slab are you talking about? Can you remove it?

ma5tr
03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Kris....

what company you own/work with? I'm in the same area as you I think....(GTA)

kris
03-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Im in Alberta .... I was down at the show LO show in January...great show!

ma5tr
03-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Thats cool! My sister and her Husband live in Canmore

neversatisfiedj
03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Haven't been out to the site yet. I'm sure it has a grade on it. I will suggest starting fresh and ripping up the slab, but I'm sure he wants to keep it to go cheaper with the install. Yes we have freeze/thaw cycles. I've heard of people installing this way, I just never wanted to do it. It seems like an easy job though, no excavation.

cgland
03-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Never - We have done many installs like this. What we do is make sure the surface is very smooth and doesn't have alot of gritty residue. We then us a bullnose paver or a paver that we split the end off and install the border with your adhesive. Then we go back and lay the body directly on the slab(no glue!) Cut as needed and sweep sand into the joints. Remember that when you are glueing the border to just run a bead of glue the long way so water will be able to escape. Wah-Lah! Instant patio. Just be careful, because when you are adding 2 3/8 to a surface it could create a tripping hazard going into the house.
P.S. Never warranty this type of install. The only thing we will go back and fix is loose border pieces.

Chris

mrusk
03-23-2006, 09:29 AM
I installed pavers on a 16x8 covered porch once. I glued 6in limestone treads around the edges as a boarder, and then just layed the pavers right on the slab. Then i sweep poly sand into the joints.

This was a porch that was covered on 3 sides though.

neversatisfiedj
03-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey chris should I use poly sand or regular masonry sand for the surface? Do you have any pics of your paver over slab installs ? I agree I was not going to warranty this kind of install either.

--Josh

cgland
03-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Josh - ICPI wants you to use washed sand. Admitedly I use poly, because it locks the pavers together better, but do as I say not as I do.:laugh: I think I have some pics................ The first one is capped under the roof.

neversatisfiedj
03-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Awesome work Chris.

RICHIE K
03-23-2006, 04:25 PM
I had a 10x10 slab at my home and i had some left over pavers from a job so i glued the down and swept some mortor mix in the cracks wet it. and for 3 years now no problem solid as a rock.

Cg-landscaping very nice paver job, who did your web site ? yours makes ours look like crap

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :dancing: