PDA

View Full Version : Us Dot

PLM-1
03-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Reading another thread got me thinking. I know some other lawn companies around here have DOT numbers on their 3/4 trucks. According to FMCSA, I am not required, I don't think. Any opinions?? Who has numbers who doesn't???

jsf343
03-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Thats a good question, one that I have been curious about as well. I thought someone on here metiuoned a specific weight, can not remember what it was though. I am also curious about trailers and when they actually need to be licensed. Any ideas on that one? Like I said before, I THINK they both have to do with the weight. I'm sure someone will know.

stumper1620
03-23-2006, 05:30 AM
Reading another thread got me thinking. I know some other lawn companies around here have DOT numbers on their 3/4 trucks. According to FMCSA, I am not required, I don't think. Any opinions?? Who has numbers who doesn't???
if your truck, trailer and equipment exceed 10,000 lbs, you need to register.

PLM-1
03-23-2006, 11:05 AM
if your truck, trailer and equipment exceed 10,000 lbs, you need to register.

See, that's what I thought. But i went through the form and answered the questions (correctly I think), then it said it wasn't necessary. .. hmmm

Mike Fronczak
03-23-2006, 12:18 PM
In NY it's 10,000 as of July 5 you must be registered. Was 18,000 in 2005. I'm looking at the sheet right here. Easy to do about half hour online no charge. Instantly get number. I belive each state is different. Check your DOT website.

stumper1620
03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
See, that's what I thought. But i went through the form and answered the questions (correctly I think), then it said it wasn't necessary. .. hmmm
oop's double post

stumper1620
03-23-2006, 03:36 PM
the correct answer to this is: combined gross rating, that means if your trailer is rated at 5000 and your truck is rated at 6000 (most all except s10 should be) that puts you up to 11000, yes you need the number for the most part anyone that has a truck and trailer that is commercial use is required to have it.

PLM-1
03-23-2006, 07:22 PM
So my next question, are we talking STATE DOT or US DOT??

stumper1620
03-23-2006, 08:53 PM
So my next question, are we talking STATE DOT or US DOT??
i did mine as a US DOT number, never know when you might run out of state to pick up a machine or something from e-bay.
Don't cost anything other than the required safety equipment

PLM-1
03-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Maybe I'm not filling in the form correctly. Run me through how to answer! LOL ... maybe we didn't do it on the same website?? https://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_registration.prc_option_decision

PLM-1
03-23-2006, 11:03 PM
There are no applicable forms if the motor carrier does not need to file a Form MCS-150 or OP-1.
The Form MCS-150 (USDOT number) is required only for carriers that have large trucks (GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds) or that transport 9 or more passengers.

The Form OP-1 (Operating Authority / MC number) applies to for-hire carriers only.

That's what it says after i fill out the form (correctly?).

Blade-o-grass
03-23-2006, 11:16 PM
I have a CDL and there are different regs for each state, but basically it's a weight issue and unless you have a state scale house that you have to go through to get to any off your accounts you wouldn't't have a prob. even if you were running overweight, which is not likely.

stumper1620
03-24-2006, 07:14 AM
Maybe I'm not filling in the form correctly. Run me through how to answer! LOL ... maybe we didn't do it on the same website?? https://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_registration.prc_option_decision
Ok, here ya go,
click this line,
I think I need to register with the FMCSA to get a USDOT number, Operating Authority (MC/FF/MX number),
or CT number (Cargo Tank Facility).
(If you're not sure, select this option, then "Continue" and the system will let you know).
click continue at the bottom,
on next page click this in section B,
Vehicle Registrant, but not a Motor Carrier
then under that choose your state
the rest of the page is for big trucks, so don't do anything there
click continue at the bottom of the page.
from here use a credit card as your electronic signiture,(they don't charge anything just varify)
your on your own from there, just remember you are not a motor carrier so most of the forms do not apply to you.

stumper1620
03-24-2006, 07:17 AM
I have a CDL and there are different regs for each state, but basically it's a weight issue and unless you have a state scale house that you have to go through to get to any off your accounts you wouldn't't have a prob. even if you were running overweight, which is not likely.
You are Wrong!
A state trooper can check you out anywhere anytime.

topdog
03-24-2006, 07:21 AM
don't forget the fine print stuff also. maintanance records, daily driver logs, employee applications, driving records of each driver, medical card, no gas cans bigger than 8 gallons, everthing has to be strapped down, u have to wear your seat belt in commercial vehicles, & a few other odds and ends.

MMLawn
03-24-2006, 05:08 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You DO NOT have to Register with the FEDERAL US DOT Program unless your commercial lawn truck is crossing State Lines, thus conducting Interstate business. For in state or Intrastate business it is NOT required that you have a Federal DOT Number. If you do a search I posted the complete Federal Law and Requirements on here a little while back.

Now, some states such as CT and NY do require a DOT Number BUT that is their STATE LAW so check your State Law BUT again if you are NOT CROSSING STATES LINES YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COMPLY WITH THE FEDERAL DOT NUMBER......PERIOD.

mindset063
03-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Here in Indiana, you have to have a DOT number. A friend of mine in the business went 5 yrs and just got hit. In Indiana, a DOT number is free, but you have to have your truck inspected ($25) and get a DOT physical ($40).

PLM-1
03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks ya'll. I am not filling out the form correctly! go figure! I AM crossing state lines so, unfortunately, it does apply!