PDA

View Full Version : Some cool old excavator info

Dirty Water
03-23-2006, 01:46 AM
I figure Bill will apperciate this page, some cool pictures and info of the old cable and hybid machines:

http://www.vannattabros.com/adospics/h900s.jpg

http://www.vannattabros.com/pics/tl6n.jpg

http://www.vannattabros.com/iron.html

UNISCAPER
03-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Great stuff Jon!

We had an old Koering/Bantam mounted on a 6 wheel drive truck. You would take off the boom and could attach a 100' crane with a drag bucket if you needed it. 4/71 Detroit engines in both the truck and the crane. Had to have umteen million hours when my uncle sold it off.

Dirty Water
03-24-2006, 09:20 PM
I can't imagine running some of those guys. Direct levers to the spool valves, and from the description, sounds like you need 2 feet and 3 arms to run.

I wish they had in cabin pictures.

UNISCAPER
03-24-2006, 10:35 PM
We had an old Hough end loader with rear steer. It was a manual transmission, 8 forward, 3 reverse...With a freeken hand clutch! Want to get a little carple tunnel going on? Then there was my addiction to the Mack truck. Uncle Jack had 123 of them, all B series, B-52, 53, 55, 60, etc. 237 HP naturally aspirated, manual steering with the illustrious Mack Quatra-Plex trannies. One would have to double clutch (non helical cut gears) and as you pushed one stick forward, you would have to pull another back at you and reverse the process all day. Try that bad boy in a city like Chicago with a 23' end dump trailer on the fifth wheel. Those trucks would easily run 500K and or 40 years whichever came first.

Then there was the Insley cable pull back hoe. Two 8-71 Detroit engines. One for mobility, swivel, the other for the winches. When you got into the cab and started to break out dirt, you had to pull the stick all the way out because the cables did not reverse. Your ears would ring all weekend, even with muffs.

Even the 933A Cat traxcavator was manual, dry clutches, twin transmissions. He finally wised up and started buying machines with power shift, then eventually hydrostats before he retired.

Dirty Water
03-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I was under the immpression that the only difference between helical gears and non helical cut gears was noise reduction and wear (Why reverse gear whines in a modern tranny, its non helical cut), and that double clutching was done because of a lack of syncronizer rings.

dcondon
03-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the pic's. I used to run a 215 cat and that beast looks a lot different.:)

UNISCAPER
03-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Jon:

I know helical cut reduces noise, but, as I understand it, you need a square cut gear to slide in while turning. The opening at the connection point is what allows the gears to slide and mesh, where an angle cut gear has less space to allow that to happen.

I could very well be wrong, but every one of the heavy non syncro trannies I've had apart has been a square cut gear. Heck now alot of them have syncro rings. Even the granny gears in the Mack 10 speeds we have are syncro.