PDA

View Full Version : Backfill for paver patio

PerfiCut L&L
03-23-2006, 06:29 AM
When installing a paver patio that is greater than 18" higher than the ground elevation what can be used for backfill?

I have a customer who wants a "landing" directly outside his slider which is about 22" higher than the ground. The landing will be roughly 10'x 5' then there will a set of steps down to the ground level where there will be a 14x20 patio.

Just wondering what to use for backfill to bring the landing elevation up level with the slider.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-23-2006, 07:23 AM
I'd use 2A crushed....must be 95% compacted....I'd use a 7000lb plate compactor and do lifts of about 3 inches...you don't want any settling...what are you going to do around the sides ?...Versa Lok would work great and you could make the stairs Versa Lok also...sounds like a good project...lets see pics when finished

PerfiCut L&L
03-23-2006, 07:26 AM
Yes, we're planning vera lock wall about 4' high on one side, with steps on the remaining 2 sides. I definately dont want any settling so I wasnt sure if I should fill the entire depth of the landing with CR6 or what?

We should be starting this project next week. Will post pics as we go.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-23-2006, 08:17 AM
since you are going 4' on the one side i'd add a layer of geo grid at the 2' level through the entire area....you don't normally need it for just a 4' high wall, but being a patio on top you never know what kind of surcharge the home owner may put on it.... such as a party situation with lots of people!

Dreams To Designs
03-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Are you building a 4' wall up against the foundation of this home? Is the raised landing and steps to be built against a block or poured concrete foundation? I would be very careful of using a compactor with 7000lbs of force against any foundation without proper precautions or engineering, or you may become one of the statistics so common with new hardscapers. What is CR6 in your local area equivalent to? You may be better suited with your questions in the hardscaping forum.

Kirk

Northern Naturals
03-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I would go ahead with the 7000 compaction, but leave an 8" space along the house where you hand-compact every layer you install.

Dreams To Designs
03-23-2006, 09:57 AM
What compactor are you guys using that is exerting 7000lbs of compaction that you can get up and into a 5' x10' landing area other than a rammer? What are Versa Lok wall stones rated at in PSI?

Kirk

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Ive used a Wacker ,that I rent, its rated at 6750 lbs...and you do need to be careful around foundations, with any compactor....Versa Lok is rated at 3000lbs PSI