PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Gene $immons
03-23-2006, 09:25 AM
I spoke with a former employee who would like to come back again for this season. He will need to be a driver for me. His driving record is spotless except for a DUI that he got while sitting in a parked car.

The guy has a college degree and is capable of helping me out in a lot of ways.

My auto insurance will go up by $2350.00 per year if I list him as a driver.

I want to hire him, but that is a lot of money. Should I ask him if he would be willing to pay some of it? Or, ask him to personally land us a big job.

Thoughts?

Gene $immons
03-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Nobody has ever been able to hire a driver who had a DUI?

PrairiesEdge
03-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey Gene, newbie here. I work for a company in stilwater, and i myself and another one of our employees have dui's on our records. We both drive trucks daily, we have both been with the company since its enception and are good employees. My boss was not pleased but could not afford to lose us. So i guess what i am saying is, is the employee worth the 2 grand in insurance.

Gene $immons
03-26-2006, 09:56 PM
I think so. It's real hard to find someone who even HAS a license, as dumb as that sounds.

When I run an ad in a newspaper for help, the calls I get are such a joke. I realize that "lawn care laborer needed" does not attract the cream of the crop, so having this guy around will be a pleasure. He even graciously agreed to work for less, and said that he would personally try to land us some new accounts to get his pay rate back up.

He was hired.

TurfProSTL
03-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Shop for insurance. If you can't find it cheaper, you might have to pay him less to start because of his causing higher premiums. Maybe $1 less per hour until the rate goes down.

PrairiesEdge
03-26-2006, 10:22 PM
We have the same problem with worthless applicants, we try and not run ads in the paper, we try and hire people that our employees know, it saves alot of headaches sorting through phone calls and applications. Although we are running out of avenues, we need to hire 4 more people qucikly and we don't know anyone else. College students seem to be the only quality labor in stillwater.

sheshovel
03-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Go with your gut feeling Gene...it is always right.