PDA

View Full Version : What trees for islands / sidewalk area?

bwilder10h
03-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Just wondering what trees are recommended for the area between the street and the sidewalk in a residential. I want to put about 4 or 5 really nice looking trees in that area in front of my house and also try to encourage my neighbors to do the same and wanted to see what the pros say.

I don't want something too large (15 ft and under obviously) and nothing that will damage the sidewalk in the years to come. I heard someone recommend a flowering pear but haven't seen them up close that I know of.

Is there a certain temperature that the soil needs to be to plant or are we good to go now?

baddboygeorge
03-24-2006, 07:09 PM
i love theme neighborhoods where in front of every house is 2 of the same trees. Cleveland select pears or dogwoods make a lovely apperance in front of a home . its all up to you do you want something that flowers ? let me know so i can help you along the decision making process thanks george

sheshovel
03-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Well you want to go with a tree that is not root invasive..a street tree.I do not recommend a flowring Pear..they are brittle tree's and overused.Is this a suburban street or a city street?
20 to 35' in height is what I will go by for you..Ohio
American Smoke tree -Eastern Redbud-Flowering Ash-Cherry species(ornamental)-Carolina Silverbell-Mountain Ash-there are so many I suggest you ask at your local nursery for a street tree and you height requirements that does not have invasive roots.And see what they suggest My book has too many to list them all for you here..I hope you understand.

drsogr
03-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Like she said I would go with something that is a little bigger than 15'....you want something that will get bigger faster. In our parts we see a lot of bradfords...silver maples...pin oaks....

I would suggest something stately like a pin oak or a variety of flowering crabapple.

kootoomootoo
03-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Cleveland/Bradford pear is typical tree of choice for tree lawns.
Will be blooming here in a few weeks.

dtelawncare
03-25-2006, 05:15 AM
In time, maples roots like to run above ground. They are beautiful trees, but are best away from sidewalks and curbs.

Dreams To Designs
03-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Just wondering what trees are recommended for the area between the street and the sidewalk in a residential. I want to put about 4 or 5 really nice looking trees in that area in front of my house and also try to encourage my neighbors to do the same and wanted to see what the pros say.

I don't want something too large (15 ft and under obviously) and nothing that will damage the sidewalk in the years to come. I heard someone recommend a flowering pear but haven't seen them up close that I know of.

Is there a certain temperature that the soil needs to be to plant or are we good to go now?

Need more information or photos to give accurate suggestions. As She Shovel stated, stay away from Bradford pears, but other flowering pears aren't nearly as bad. If the strip is small, you can plant on the other side of the sidewalk. Are there overhead wires, because if you have that issue, the electric company will gladly prune them for you when the trees get close to their wires, and I'm sure we have all seen their type of "pruning". You are ok to plant now, must trees are starting to break bud and even evergreens are good to go in the ground, but anything you plant will need to be watered regularly, either by mother nature or you.

Kirk

bwilder10h
03-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks for all the comments. This is in a culdesac with underground power lines but I still don't want anything real tall.

I would prefer something that flowers and adds to the look of the property...

klkanders
03-25-2006, 12:54 PM
I would check with the city to see what trees they allow in a boulevard area. Sounds like you are wanting an ornamental or an accent tree. We usually place those in a yard setting not boulevard because some tend to be messy and also have lower branching patterns (Again not good near sidewalk or street for pruning purposes). In our zone what works well are ashes and some maples (not all are shallow rooting) because of straight trunks and good shade.
Hope that helps.

gqnine44
03-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Simple Answer - Cleveland Select Pear. It flowers and looks great along streets, it is also a more upright grower than other pears. Go plant them

CAG
03-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Well you want to go with a tree that is not root invasive..a street tree.I do not recommend a flowring Pear..they are brittle tree's and overused.Is this a suburban street or a city street?
20 to 35' in height is what I will go by for you..Ohio
American Smoke tree -Eastern Redbud-Flowering Ash-Cherry species(ornamental)-Carolina Silverbell-Mountain Ash-there are so many I suggest you ask at your local nursery for a street tree and you height requirements that does not have invasive roots.And see what they suggest My book has too many to list them all for you here..I hope you understand.
I couldn't agree with you more!! I have a condo complex that has Bradford pears on the islands in between the driveways( islands no more than four feet wide)and they are ruining the driveways big time??? Not to mention that every time the wind blew it seemed a big limb or a whole tree will fall !!! I always wonder what this person was thinking when they planted them 15 years ago!! With some heavy heavy pruning 2 years ago it did help to cut back on the falling trees/limbs..

bwilder10h
03-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Simple Answer - Cleveland Select Pear. It flowers and looks great along streets, it is also a more upright grower than other pears. Go plant them

Yeah that was part of my criteria... being an upright grower...

I'll check out the Cleveland Pear tomorrow as I want to get these in the ground soon.

Thanks

Paradise Landscapes
03-26-2006, 08:44 AM
might want to watch for them power lines. . . .