PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Mulch?????????

John Gamba
03-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Has anyone used it and how did it work. I think they call it----Permalife Mulch. I thinks its recycled tires.

Thank You John:waving:

sotn
03-23-2006, 10:10 PM
My dad bought it a couple of years ago....and said it was a huge mistake. Very expensive(saw it last week for $300 a yard!). Heavy rains and it floated out of beds. Couldn't really blow leaves out of it. Also when rain loosened soil under mulch, the soil came up and buried mulch. He is now back to ol reliable double ground.

Ramairfreak98ss
03-23-2006, 10:51 PM
My dad bought it a couple of years ago....and said it was a huge mistake. Very expensive(saw it last week for $300 a yard!). Heavy rains and it floated out of beds. Couldn't really blow leaves out of it. Also when rain loosened soil under mulch, the soil came up and buried mulch. He is now back to ol reliable double ground.

Agreed, stay away!

I quoted a customer that already HAD SOME of it and after doing some trimming work for him and getting it in the yard, around plants, doesnt decompose, christ what a big mess, i still hit it 2yrs later in his yard with the mowers, its there forever. its not worth the money or the product even if someone gave me 10 tons of it, btw its very expensive too, and only comes in bags.

Use regular black dyed mulch a few times a year if theyre so conerned about what it looks like.

stumper1620
03-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Has anyone used it and how did it work. I think they call it----Permalife Mulch. I thinks its recycled tires.

Thank You John:waving:
John,
My biggest residential has it in his kids play ground, It works great as a safety cushion for falls, when it comes to maintaining, it blows all over when trying to get the leaves out and it needs to have landscape timbers or a good high edge around it to keep it from floating out the edges in heavy rains. other than that it is great as a playground base.

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 07:54 AM
I want to thank everybody for giving great info on this. My moter-in-law wanted it and i told her i would check with everybody here. If its great for when you fall maybe we can put it on the floor so if she ever falls she wont get hurt??:laugh:

thanks again:waving:

Doug Z.
03-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Wow, you guys really can bash a product without doing the research on it. I love it. For starters, it is recomended that you put a weed barrier under it, therfore it would not mix in with topsoil. Next, Rubber Mulch is 5 times heavier than wood mulch, I've never seen it float. I live out in the country, 100acres of open fields, I have it on a raised patio, never had a problem with wind blowing it. As far as keeping it clean, they put the throtle controls on the blowers for a reason, I've blown wet leaves off of it with no problems. If you go in full bore, I dont care what your getting the leaves out of, it is going to blow around. As far as price, I use only Rubberific Mulch. I have looked at about 8 manufacturers, and this is the nicest stuff i have found. It runs about $100 per yard, not $300. If you have any more questions, let me know, I 'd be happy to give you more info, seeing that I've done the research on it.

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Wow, you guys really can bash a product without doing the research on it. I love it. For starters, it is recomended that you put a weed barrier under it, therfore it would not mix in with topsoil. Next, Rubber Mulch is 5 times heavier than wood mulch, I've never seen it float. I live out in the country, 100acres of open fields, I have it on a raised patio, never had a problem with wind blowing it. As far as keeping it clean, they put the throtle controls on the blowers for a reason, I've blown wet leaves off of it with no problems. If you go in full bore, I dont care what your getting the leaves out of, it is going to blow around. As far as price, I use only Rubberific Mulch. I have looked at about 8 manufacturers, and this is the nicest stuff i have found. It runs about $100 per yard, not $300. If you have any more questions, let me know, I 'd be happy to give you more info, seeing that I've done the research on it.

Thank you Doug :waving:

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 03:09 PM

Doug Can you post a pic???

sotn
03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
I can only comment on my fathers experience, and the price I saw it selling for. And I know how to use a leaf blower.

stumper1620
03-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Doug, really hope you are not taking aim on my comments, what i said is exactly as i've seen it on my customers property, he and I have both had to rake it back into the kids play area, that was when we put the 6X6 landscape timbers around it. Now as i said it is excellent for a safety cushion under the play area, his youngest (about 4 yrs.) fell from the top of the play house and didn't get hurt. 4" thick layer of mulch, also, I realize there are differing types and size so possibly that is why ours floats and blows no matter what the blower speed. I was at almost idle trying to blow leaves.

sheshovel
03-24-2006, 04:35 PM
The jury is still kinda out on this product..some really like it and some do not.

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 04:36 PM
The jury is still kinda out on this product..some really like it and some do not.

Yeah!! Lets not get into a fight over it :hammerhead:

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 04:38 PM

I wish i could come up with a way of getting rid of tires:hammerhead:

sheshovel
03-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Thats how they make it here..recycled tires.They have a special machine that removes most of the steel in the steel belts.Then they chop it up and wash it and sell it as rubber mulch.In fact the city of Fresno is doing all their city park playgrounds with the stuff.

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Thats how they make it here..recycled tires.They have a special machine that removes most of the steel in the steel belts.Then they chop it up and wash it and sell it as rubber mulch.In fact the city of Fresno is doing all their city park playgrounds with the stuff.

Can you get pics??? And what do you do with it when you don't need it anymore??? Or it fades

sheshovel
03-24-2006, 06:43 PM
<<Back to Contents
Last drop squeezed from recycled tires

By P. Weiss

Old tires never die. Of more than 265 million discarded each year in the United States, some get shredded and recycled into products such as mulch, mats, and shoe soles. Most, however, end up as litter that clutters vacant lots and landfills indefinitely.

Borrowing from technology related to cotton ginning, scientists at the Department of Agriculture have developed a machine that may reduce the flow of old tires and their parts into landfills. The device will allow "a far greater fraction of the tires to be recycled into something useful," predicts inventor W. Stanley Anthony of USDA's Cotton Ginning Research Unit in Stoneville, Miss.

In a typical recycling plant, machines chop up tires into pieces that contain rubber, synthetic fibers, and steel. Then they grind up the pieces or freeze and pulverize them. Magnets extract the steel before vibrating wire-mesh filters separate rubber from fiber as best they can. Anthony says that about 15 to 50 percent by weight of an average 9-kilogram tire emerges from this process as a useless rubber-fiber blend, which gets buried in a landfill.

No I can't get pics!

Xterminator
03-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I have a customer that has it down in her beds and the plants on the South side of her house wilt in the Summer

John Gamba
03-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a customer that has it down in her beds and the plants on the South side of her house wilt in the Summer

Heat Retention:cry: Like Brick chips :clapping: Thanks X's :waving:

Xterminator
03-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Thats exactly what I said, but she still thinks she is saving the enviroment not killing trees for mulch. She replaced plants Twice last Year

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 10:22 PM
i collect old chriscrafts as a hobby and i figure if gos wanted us to have fiiberglass boats he woulda made fiberglass trees and if he wanted us to ahve rubber mulch he woulda made rubber trees(oh wait there are rubber trees) NEVERRRRR MINDDDDDDDDDD. i tried ot upload myboat but cant upload the web page , it made Mopar of the month at the mopar site

Dreams To Designs
03-25-2006, 07:18 AM
John, what do you wish to use it for? As a playground mulch in the right consistency it is great, as a bed mulch it is useless. It is manufactured in different ways. It is shredded, chunked and mixed for different purposes. Depends on your need. As a playground mulch when bordered by the recycled rubber curbing it is an asset to the children and operators of playgrounds, As a mulch it has no value to your plants. As was stated, you need to put weed fabric under it for it to work effectively in the garden, why bother. It does not do a great job of weed suppression and it adds nothing to the soil. With fabric underneath it is restricting water penetration to the soil and creating a nightmare to plant or update the beds. One of the big advantages of organic mulch, that has been properly composted, is it suppresses weeds and puts nutrients back into the soil. The goal of any type of plantings and maintenance should be improvement of the soil for the sake of the plants.

As for it floating away or blowing, it is similar to organic mulch. A flood of rain, high winds or an errant blower can move rubber mulch as it does bark or shredded wood mulches. That's why we edge beds and surround raised areas. The cost is substantial compared to the initial purchase of organic mulch, but the fact that it doesn't break down is it's claim to fame. As far as the plants go, that is a bad thing, as for playgrounds, paths or other non-horticultural applications it has a place. Also, being rubber, it naturally absorbs heat and will dissipate that heat as the air temperature cools, perhaps never giving the plants a chance to cool down. If you live in a cooler climate, that maybe a plus, if you live in a warmer climate, or have this mulch in full sun for the day, you will stress most plants beyond their recovery points. Everything has a place, rubber mulch has very limited applications in and around plants.

Kirk

Doug Z.
03-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Ok, I'm not trying to get defensive here, but your right, the product is not for everyone. As I said before, I've seen differnet makers of the product, and can tell you, the quality of the product veries greatly. Along with my landscaping company, I also co-own a company that distributes Rubberific Mulch, retail, and wholesale, so you can see I'm a little bias. As far as rubber mulch keeping in the heat, and harming plants because of it, i cant speak for other brands, but I do know that Rubberific Mulch uses a UV protectant, allowing the mulch to only get 2degrees warmer than the soil. They did this because the mulch was orignally designed for playgrounds, and you can't have kids playing in stuff that will burn them.
As far as doing no benifit to the soil, your right. In this regard, it is no different then using decorative rock. Concerning the weeds, i can say that out of all the Rubberific Mulch that I put down, the only place that I have ever seen any weeds come up was in an area that had alot of perenials. I usually dont use fabric, and put in on thinner inthose areas.
I dont know how to post pics, (Computer dumb) but if you want to see pics your more than welcome to go to my website www.rubberificmulchofnew.com. And, before some of you get your panties in a bundle, I'm not trying to get free advertising, I'm trying to give you more info, that you asked for.

Brendan Smith
03-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I wish i could come up with a way of getting rid of tires:hammerhead:
john - why do you think they put ditches on the side of most roads.... kidding

John Gamba
03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
John, what do you wish to use it for? As a playground mulch in the right consistency it is great, as a bed mulch it is useless. It is manufactured in different ways. It is shredded, chunked and mixed for different purposes. Depends on your need. As a playground mulch when bordered by the recycled rubber curbing it is an asset to the children and operators of playgrounds, As a mulch it has no value to your plants. As was stated, you need to put weed fabric under it for it to work effectively in the garden, why bother. It does not do a great job of weed suppression and it adds nothing to the soil. With fabric underneath it is restricting water penetration to the soil and creating a nightmare to plant or update the beds. One of the big advantages of organic mulch, that has been properly composted, is it suppresses weeds and puts nutrients back into the soil. The goal of any type of plantings and maintenance should be improvement of the soil for the sake of the plants.

As for it floating away or blowing, it is similar to organic mulch. A flood of rain, high winds or an errant blower can move rubber mulch as it does bark or shredded wood mulches. That's why we edge beds and surround raised areas. The cost is substantial compared to the initial purchase of organic mulch, but the fact that it doesn't break down is it's claim to fame. As far as the plants go, that is a bad thing, as for playgrounds, paths or other non-horticultural applications it has a place. Also, being rubber, it naturally absorbs heat and will dissipate that heat as the air temperature cools, perhaps never giving the plants a chance to cool down. If you live in a cooler climate, that maybe a plus, if you live in a warmer climate, or have this mulch in full sun for the day, you will stress most plants beyond their recovery points. Everything has a place, rubber mulch has very limited applications in and around plants.

Kirk

Kirk
Sorry for the dely

It was going to be used as bed mulch, but i can see that it will not work for this purpose.

John Gamba
05-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Permalife has metal pieces in the product and the better product is found at Wal-Marts called Majestic Mulch. Their website is www.majesticmulch.com

Thanks Rubber:waving: Have a great Holiday:usflag:

AintNoFun
05-25-2006, 09:14 PM
i think it has no place in landscape beds. we did a playground for a school and they loved it. heres a quote about the product we used...

The impact a child would receive from falling 7’ onto 12” of playground wood mulch is the same impact a child would receive falling over 14’ onto 6” of PlaySafest™ Crumb Rubber PlayGround Surface. That’s a 100% increase in height and impact protection!

mjohnson1
08-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Ok, I'm not trying to get defensive here, but your right, the product is not for everyone. As I said before, I've seen differnet makers of the product, and can tell you, the quality of the product veries greatly. Along with my landscaping company, I also co-own a company that distributes Rubberific Mulch, retail, and wholesale, so you can see I'm a little bias. As far as rubber mulch keeping in the heat, and harming plants because of it, i cant speak for other brands, but I do know that Rubberific Mulch uses a UV protectant, allowing the mulch to only get 2degrees warmer than the soil. They did this because the mulch was orignally designed for playgrounds, and you can't have kids playing in stuff that will burn them.
As far as doing no benifit to the soil, your right. In this regard, it is no different then using decorative rock. Concerning the weeds, i can say that out of all the Rubberific Mulch that I put down, the only place that I have ever seen any weeds come up was in an area that had alot of perenials. I usually dont use fabric, and put in on thinner inthose areas.
I dont know how to post pics, (Computer dumb) but if you want to see pics your more than welcome to go to my website www.rubberificmulchofnew.com. And, before some of you get your panties in a bundle, I'm not trying to get free advertising, I'm trying to give you more info, that you asked for.

totally off topic but i have to ask, under the styles and colors heading are those pictures photoshopped or did you install each color and take a picture and the pull it out, install the next, etc?

DBL
08-14-2006, 09:02 PM
it being recycled tires how do they get the wires out of the tires to chip them