PDA

View Full Version : 10 Ft. flatbed on 3/4 ton, is it possible?

ted5487
03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Is it possible to have a 10 foot long flatbed on a regular cab 3/4 ton truck and then dovetail? I do not carry a lot of weight, just two 48 inch walk behinds, and other misc. equipment, everything totaling less than 1200 pounds. I remember someone posting that you are limited in length but thought the limit was due to weight. Should I be looking at a dual wheel one ton? I currently have a 96 F-250 4x4 and was thinking of removing the bed and building the flatbed. I currently have a 6.5x12 pequea trailer but want to eliminate it due to the hassles of backing into driveways on crowded streets in my area. I am pretty much just a mowing operation and thought this would be a good way to simplify. I would like to do this with the truck I currently have, but understand that it may not be possible. If I do have to go with a dually I will probably put a 12 foot flatbed on and then angle down with the dovetail. Does anyone know what wheelbase dually I would need for this? I seem to remember they come in three different cab to axle lengths. Any input would be appreciated. And does anyone know the additional length of the dovetail with the gates in the up postion? I'm thinking it is around 3 or 4 feet? Thanks in advance for any advice.

hosejockey2002
03-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I think your main problem is lack of wheelbase, and indirectly weight because of that. With a 12 foot bed and a regular cab P/U, 2/3 of the length of the bed will be behind the axle. All that overhang out there transfers weight off the front axle onto the rear. Your rear axle will be close to overloaded before you put anything on the truck, and you'll have some hellacious tailswing when you turn. I think you need a wheelbase of at least 24" longer than what a regular cab P/U has.