PDA

View Full Version : Best Trailer?

qualitylandscaping
03-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Need some input guys.

We just bought another new Cat 236B skidsteer (approx. 7800lbs). Need to get another trailer for it.

Looking at four different trailers.

#1 Corn Pro Tag Trailer. 8x20 incl. 5' beaver tail. 12,000GVW $4,500.00

#2 Belmont Machine Tag Trailer. 18' Full Tilt Deck. 12,000GVW $4,900.00

#3 Belmont Machine Deck Over Tag Trailer. 20' incl. 5' beaver tail. 12,000GVW. $5,100.00

#4 Corn Pro Deck Over Goose Neck Trailer. 25' incl. 5' beaver dove tail. 12,000GVW. $5,500.00

Any opinion on type? I personally like the Goose Neck, but with no other goose neck trailers in our fleet, I'm second guessing it. Major concern is no other trucks have the hitch on them right now. It's not a major issue installing them $500/each but is it worth it?

www.cornprotrailers.com
www.belmontmachine.com

all ferris
03-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Check these trailers out. I have one of their SL series 18' 14000# gvw (they assume 15% tounge weight) with torflex axles. It's been a great trailer. They are way better built than cron pro.

http://www.brooksbrotherstrailers.com/trailers.php

qualitylandscaping
03-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Check these trailers out. I have one of their SL series 18' 14000# gvw (they assume 15% tounge weight) with torflex axles. It's been a great trailer. They are way better built than cron pro.

http://www.brooksbrotherstrailers.com/trailers.php

I will only buy from my dealer. I've been with this dealer since I bought my very first 5x10 trailer.

Has taken VERY good care of us, and to be honest I don't shop around. I know there are cheaper prices out there, but I'm willing to pay for dealer support.

Grn Mtn
03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Start making the switch, I know we talked about how the hold more and ride better, park easier. If your worried about having to switch the whole fleet over now, as a stop gap I believe there is a tongue mounted ball extension you can get. This way if the truck with the bed mounted goose neck breaks, at least anyone can move the trailer who has a hitch.

UNISCAPER
03-23-2006, 11:54 PM
With A 7800 lb machine, you will be maxing the trailer simply by loading and driving the machine. There will be little room for an extra bucket, forks, etc. I would go up to 15,000 GVW and that way you got it covered.
As far as style, you have to weigh out if you need the truck beds while pulling the machine. As far as trailering, hands down, goose neck rides better, pulls better, turns better, all in all easier on your truck.

Tilt decks, we had a Miller tilt deck and also a Miller tilt deck that the front 15 was flat/stationary. That was the best of both worlds because you could keep other stuff on the flat part and tilt up to load machines. So, I'm inclined to say beaver tail/gooseneck, and add more GVW.

qualitylandscaping
03-24-2006, 12:05 AM
With A 7800 lb machine, you will be maxing the trailer simply by loading and driving the machine. There will be little room for an extra bucket, forks, etc. I would go up to 15,000 GVW and that way you got it covered.
As far as style, you have to weigh out if you need the truck beds while pulling the machine. As far as trailering, hands down, goose neck rides better, pulls better, turns better, all in all easier on your truck.

Tilt decks, we had a Miller tilt deck and also a Miller tilt deck that the front 15 was flat/stationary. That was the best of both worlds because you could keep other stuff on the flat part and tilt up to load machines. So, I'm inclined to say beaver tail/gooseneck, and add more GVW.

I have ~1200lbs left. Could go up to a 14,000lb GVW which has 8 wheels instead of 4 and a heavier built frame. But I really don't think it's necessary, and any more weight is going to stress on the trucks pretty bad. This will most likely be pulled with our new 06' F-350 XLT 5.4gasser

qualitylandscaping
03-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Decided to go with the gooseneck. Having the hitch installed on 4 trucks next week.

MysticLandscape
03-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Why 4 tucks, thats a big investment, I could see maybe two trucks...

qualitylandscaping
03-26-2006, 01:51 AM
Why 4 tucks, thats a big investment, I could see maybe two trucks...

I considered doing all of them. 4 will cover mine and the three foremans trucks, so all of them can move it.

qualitylandscaping
04-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Here's what we ended up with!

Scag48
04-08-2006, 02:53 AM
I don't advise backing down those ramps. One slip and you're done. We have a gooseneck with ramps (retired it for use of hauling equipment) and the only way in hell I'd load our 216 is to back up the ramps to load and come straight off to unload. A tad bit safer. Nonetheless, nice trailer.

qualitylandscaping
04-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I have trust in my equipment. You just have to know how to run your machine....:weightlifter:

mrusk
04-09-2006, 09:21 AM
If that truck is a gas job, i do not think it will enjoy towing all that weight. The goose neck trailers are heavy!

qualitylandscaping
04-09-2006, 11:45 AM
It's not too bad actually. I think the gooseneck helps quite a bit because it takes the tongue weight off the bumper and puts in right over the rear axle.

Does tow hard up some of the mountain roads here. Braking is the worst aspect at this point. Wish I had air brakes!

I'm happy with it so far.:usflag:

mrusk
04-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Quality- Yea braking is the week point! WHy didn't you just buy a tag along trailer and tow it with one of your F750s? They would of handled the weight much better than the one ton!

qualitylandscaping
04-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Quality- Yea braking is the week point! WHy didn't you just buy a tag along trailer and tow it with one of your F750s? They would of handled the weight much better than the one ton!

I didn't like the idea of tying up a truck just to tow the CATs around. I would rather leave the trucks free to do deliveries, etc.

DLCS
04-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I didn't like the idea of tying up a truck just to tow the CATs around. I would rather leave the trucks free to do deliveries, etc.

Lets see some pics of those f-750's and the forestry equipment.

ALarsh
04-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Lets see some pics of those f-750's and the forestry equipment.
LOL :laugh:

korelandscaping
03-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Now that's funny! Someone beat me to the punch, I was thinking along the same lines.