PDA

View Full Version : 331 and a S175 Now What?

Wing 97
03-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, really enjoy reading all of your input in the recent threads posted. In the past 13 years my buisness has been 85 percent property maintenance (commercial/residential). Up until recent I had a skid steer but I recently accquired a 331 excavator. My plan is to slowly get out of the residential maintenance, continue maintaining commercial accounts, and ultimately be able to generate enough buisness for the skid steer and excavator to replace income generated from residential accounts. I don't really want to get into large hardscaping projects because I would like to stay a one man operation. Bascially I just want to run the equipment (dig and go?) but I am not sure if there is a niche for this kind a operation. Considering the equipent I have what cliental should I target? (I did think about this before i bought the equipment but would like your thoughts)

jblawns123
03-23-2006, 09:18 PM
You bought a skidder and an excavator before getting the work to justify its existance? :confused:

Wing 97
03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I knew somenone would have to say that. Some people buy boats, sports cars, have kids, I buy equipment (helps with the taexes). That being said any helpful information would be appreciated.

Wing 97
03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
By the way the skid steer is used almost daily in my exsisting buisness.

Scag48
03-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Talk to contractors, although they are difficult to deal with sometimes. There's always utility lines that need to be trenched, that could be a start. Believe it or not, with your equipment you could do garage/small home addition footings and such, concrete pads, etc. Light demolition is a money maker as well, but can be a bit hard on the machines. I would start with the contractors first and see if they need a sub to come in and do some side work. But if you do go down the contractor route, just remember that no more than 25% of your revenue should come from one source.

tylermckee
03-24-2006, 02:08 AM
Like scag said talk to contractors, lots of utility lines, storm and sewer lines, fixing drainage problems, driveway and yard grading, etc. Lots of places a couple of small machines like your bobcats can squeze into. Could handle light land clearing. I dont know about your area but around here there are a few landscape companies that dont have any equipment so when they need to run irrigation lines and spread top soil they bring someone in.

UNISCAPER
03-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Do the contractor thing as mentioned. There is a guy here who bought a fully equipped Dingy thingy trailer. Calls himself Digity Dog. After 2 years, he had to emply a guy and buy one more truck/trailer combo. He drives around and excavates for all the contractors who wanto stay legal, and all the illegal aliens that resort to hand labor when digging a swimming pool or planting trees. You'll do fine.

ksss
03-24-2006, 10:58 AM
I think it may be tough to have both machines and stay a one man band so to speak. At least on a many but not all of our jobs we are running an excavator and skid steer on the same job at the same time. Certainly on jobs like digging additions or rock wall building jobs, they require two machine to be moving at the same time. Maybe seeking out a reliable part time guy that can run equipment would be the answer. Schedule your jobs which require both machines at the same job to be moving on the days you have extra help. It certainly wouldn't be very productive to make a pile with the 331 and then jump on the 175 and move it and go back to the 331.

Scag48
03-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Kaiser is right, you'll need 2 people to keep the machines running. I'm working on a job for my parents at their motel, doing some road building and parking lot prep and I'm having to jump between the skid steer and excavator alot. It's really a pain but I don't have a deadline so it doesn't matter to me a whole lot.

Wing 97
03-24-2006, 06:02 PM
My ace in the hole is my semi retired father who helps during busy times and with snow removal. So when the circumstances call for a second operator in order to be more produdtive I am covered. Since my experience has been in the property maintenance area my next question would be what is the best way to base my rates (hourly or by the job) for this size equipment.

ksss
03-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Once your comfortable with knowing what your capabilities are I think you are much better to bid than to go hourly. However, some jobs are just built to go hourly. Example: undecided home owners or jobs with numerous potential problems. I always prefer as a rule to bid, I can come out better that way.

tylermckee
03-24-2006, 08:17 PM
I would maybe start out going by the hour untill you know what you are capable of doing. Then once you get to where you can look at a job and figure it will take you X amount of man hours and X amount of equipment hours and how much material then i would bid

Land&LawnDev.
03-24-2006, 09:41 PM
I understand what your going through, used to have 35D and a 320 deere got rid of both for one ct332, now only rent when needed. I found landscapers without big enough equip were good people to market to prob. 75 plus percent of my business