PDA

View Full Version : i passed out 1000 flyers, NO RESPONSE, or calls!

bradluvsjesus
03-23-2006, 11:44 PM
i put roughly 1000 of these in mailboxes, beginning over a month ago, up until now, not one call, i'm really scared..:cry:

joshlawn
03-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Don't feel too bad, last year I put out over a 1000 flyer's promoting free pizza with service. Of course, not a single call either. I was sure that would be a hit, but it's all about timing. I had some luck with both the "Bargain Mart" classifieds, and the "Knoxville News Sentinel". Haven't tried the phone book yet, but that's on my to-do list. In my experience, I've noticed that flyer's with simple designs seem to get more business than flyer's that look great.

Hang in there, it's a slow road to success. This is my second year, and I'm still having to keep a second job to make it but I'm making more than 3 times this year than what I made last year.

B&D Lawn Care
03-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Maybe you should quit your whining and change a couple of things. Like this....

This is how I would have done it.

B&D Lawn Care
03-24-2006, 12:58 AM
PLus just 1000 flyers? My first year I put out at least 2500. You gotta remember a lot of people have not got "spring fever" yet.

HOOLIE
03-24-2006, 01:01 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned there Brad. Would have been nice to get a few cleanups or mulch jobs, but, as far as mowing goes most people just wait until the grass has started growing. I remember when I started I had 2,000 flyers put out in mid-March...the voice mail was empty as well as the e-mail. I was getting nervous by the end of March, but as soon as April hit the calls started coming in.

topsites
03-24-2006, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned there Brad. Would have been nice to get a few cleanups or mulch jobs, but, as far as mowing goes most people just wait until the grass has started growing. I remember when I started I had 2,000 flyers put out in mid-March...the voice mail was empty as well as the e-mail. I was getting nervous by the end of March, but as soon as April hit the calls started coming in.

April 1st, I always say.

That flyer looks decent...
Why not put out another 1,000 between now and then?
hint: It's easier if you got someone along :-) Yes, even if they do nothing (just moral support).

daveintoledo
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM
all the information on this site, and you havent seen that it is a federal offence to put anything in, on, or affixed to the mailbox......ill bet some of them know it and throw your flyers away thinking if he doesnt know the rules, we really dont want him as a service provider....

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 10:32 AM
well to be honest flyers dont work all that well. every tom dick and harry that dont want to advertise properly, stuff em in your mailbox, door and wherever. I never liked flyers, i hate people stuffing them in my door. im constantly picking them up off my lawn. We just put 2400 out in 2 newsletters that came out yesterday and i have 20 calls already. Our 1st year asdvertising we mailed out 30,000 or so thru the post office and recieved 200-400 calls a week for quotes. We had to put in a 2nd line. You might get a better response trying to be a lil different than the the flyer guy and get more proffessional with legit advertising. In the long run its much more beneficial i believe. The majority of flyers put out are by smaller no noame companies kids college students and many even advertise low ball prices. Flyer customers go for the bottom dollar. whoever is cheapest gets the job. Ive had friends in the buisines complai all the time about it. Try some legit advertising. IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY. We are in 2 papers news letters 2 yellow Pages ads. I just dont think flyers work all that well.

lowballer17
03-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Just keep passing out flyers till end of April. Once the first week of warm weather hits the calls roll in.

We have snow falling here this morning, so no use in passing out flyers on a day like this.

Watkinslawnservice
03-24-2006, 01:57 PM
We just put 2400 out in 2 newsletters that came out yesterday and i have 20 calls already.

What do you mean by "Newsletters"?

xxteh_pwnererxx
03-24-2006, 02:07 PM
a better method is to use "door hangers" instead of stuffing mailboxes (federal offense) with busy flyers that do not include pricing. Simplicity goes further. Also every one man operator in town is going to be passing flyers out right now. Late Spring into the end of Summer should show significantly better results.

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 02:28 PM
As well as doing resisential and commercial We target several Manufactured home sites(mobile home communities) we pay 50-75 dollars for an insert and it goes out with thier monthly lot rent. We do this in 6 parks all over 1,000 residents and it works well. To target your specific area yo ucan buy mailing lists strictly for your are residences only no appts condos etc for a minimul fee arounf 4 cents each and mail them thru the post office with a bul mail permit. It is very proffessional and the return is 3 times that of a direct mail advert. It is direct mail but we do a few tricks to get them to call back

dsmrolla06
03-24-2006, 03:44 PM
I started out this season passing out about 2000 fliers in paperboxes. Just a waste of time and materials. Then i went to trifolding the fliers and putting them in doorhanger bags. That worked very well. Yesterday i started making my own doorhangers out of 110lb card stock. This is even faster to hand out then the doorhanger bags and look better. Next im going to be buying another printer and continuous ink system and make them in full color, for less than half the cost of what a printer would charge.