PDA

View Full Version : Easy Trick for fast mulching

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 10:54 AM
With all the questions on mulching and time we figured this out and it saves us a ton of time on many much jobs. We line up 4 33 gallon trsh cans under the tail gate and shove it in the cans fast when full we load them on a heavt duty cart attached to our lasers. All our lasrs have hitches. We then ride the laser to the mulched areas and dump them . we then go do it again. its actually very very fast and beats pushing whek barrows to the back of the house. Also,theres no bending because the much is in the truck and you are at street level, so you are more or less pulling the much and raking it into the cans, We spill a lot on the street but that cleans up easy at the end. The cart we bought for $300 but its real Heavt duty and is great for a multitude of othe things

qualitylawnmanagement
03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Do you load the barrels with mulch using a 10 tine pitch fork? So much easier then using shovels.

Xterminator
03-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Do you load the barrels with mulch using a 10 tine pitch fork? So much easier then using shovels.

Amen

I used a shovel for a couple of years then got a pitchfork it makes a difference

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 06:35 PM
yes we have the forks but just wanted to let peope know the cart and barrel was a very fast way to move it to areas, we hold 4 barrles in the cart and we can unload the buckets in seconds

Insometry
03-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Nice process man. Thanks.

I actually really enjoy doing mulch. :)

Xterminator
03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
A 700# dolly and a 55 gal trash can are perfect for stairs, or if you have a job on a hill

bigjeeping
03-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Can you post pics of this method in action? It sounds good. My plan is use my dump truck and dump at multiple locations while my workers shovel and wheel barrel to the beds!

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 10:00 PM
hard to post a pic but i bought a utility cart that attaches to the laser or any tractor line up 4 palstic trash cans behind the truck lower the get shovel it in the barrels load em on the cart, drive the laser to the back yard or whereever, dump the barrels . load em on the cart drive back to the truck, do all over. if 2 guys one can spread the much while the other is loading. very fast. we bought out cart at tractor supply company. i believe they are nation wide chain. its like a homedepot for landscapers , lots of goodies at reaonable prices that yo umay not find at the local mower store plus they have like a 500 pg catalog. they had 6 carts to choose from. ours has a steerable front axel also

B&D Lawn Care
03-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Have you not considered the effects this may have on your hydraulic units. The yare not meant to tow. I actually tried aerating w /mine a few years ago and was told this is a big nono.

GreenMonster
03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
anybody use the JRCO transporter for getting mulch to back yards and similar areas?

MMLawn
03-25-2006, 09:00 AM

BIG, WIDE snow shovels load more mulch faster than the pitchfork ever will.

We also have a pretty fast method for moving the mulch from either the trailer or the dump pile.............................

John Deere 332 Skid Steer...... :laugh:

PMLAWN
03-25-2006, 09:23 AM
We are close to the same except no 33Gal cans. Right into a dump trailer pulled by Z or better yet small garden tractor.
But it is a great day when we can get the dump truck back to the bed:)

befnme
03-25-2006, 10:00 AM
here are my secret weapons .each truck holds 3 yards and the lawn tractor trailer hauls just better than 1/2 yard . oh yeh it hauls square bailes of hay to the horse just fine also .

befnme
03-25-2006, 10:01 AM
here are my secret weapons .each truck holds 3 yards and the lawn tractor trailer hauls just better than 1/2 yard . oh yeh it hauls square bailes of hay to the horse just fine also ...dang it i keep forgettin to do the attachment...

Dixie Rob
03-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I need to get a trailer for my mower...just haven't got around to it yet. I checked them out the other day at the local TSC.

That's a nice trailer ya have there, but I question the quality of the deck on that mower! Looks a little bent out of shape.

chriscraft
03-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Have you not considered the effects this may have on your hydraulic units. The yare not meant to tow. I actually tried aerating w /mine a few years ago and was told this is a big nono.
this is true it is a big no no. but when yo u can do the work of 4 walk behinds with a tow behind aerator the cost of the wear and tear on a hydraulic unit is nothing, Plus the fact we tow earators 800 lb rollers, 250 lb spreaders with gypsum, carts, a hydraulic unit is a drop in the bucket. By the way my oldest laser ahs 5,000 hours on it, got a 3rd shortblock for it last spring and after thousands of aerations tows etc ive gone thru 1 hydrualic pump. Lasers are very tough. i can spread 250 lbs of gypsum in 2 minutes with a tow behind hopper, i dont want to think about by hand, we used to do it that way and i never will again.

befnme
03-25-2006, 03:50 PM
I need to get a trailer for my mower...just haven't got around to it yet. I checked them out the other day at the local TSC.

That's a nice trailer ya have there, but I question the quality of the deck on that mower! Looks a little bent out of shape.

oh yeh , thats a home made in a few minutes mulch cover . it is doubled up tin that i pounded the crap outta until it took the shape (kinda) of the deck . the only covers i could find are plastic and they run about 25 bucks. i dont know how long they would last so i made one .

Splicer
03-25-2006, 03:53 PM
I have a mullch job to do Tuesday and I will use my dump cart and GT to get it where it needs to go...

And not to be a jerk, but what is so different about your method of using garbage pails on a cart (those are really ggod carts, we had one in a warehouse for transporting materials for CATV) compared to say using a good sized wheelbarrow?

B&D Lawn Care
03-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Thats cool if if don't bother you then it don't bother me:)

dtelawncare
03-25-2006, 04:29 PM
If it is so bad for hydros to pull, craftsman would have fell apart by now. If the wheels will move I will try to pull it. I have even pulled my old International truck around the yard when it wasn't running. As far as my Lazer Z, why does Exmark sell the hitch if is hurts your mower.

Pulling a cart is MUCH diffrent than pushing a wheelbarrel up and down hills.

John Gamba
03-25-2006, 04:32 PM
anybody use the JRCO transporter for getting mulch to back yards and similar areas?

Yes with the transporter and tub. It works great for hills:weightlifter:

mcwlandscaping
03-25-2006, 07:23 PM
hmm, i plan on doing a lot of mulch jobs this year, maybe ill hold off on selling my little tractor and getting one of them trailers for mulch, thanks for the idea, i like the idea of using the trash cans so you can dump them fast and accuratly, didn't seem like anyone was going to buy that tractor anyway! :laugh:

GreenMonster
03-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Yes with the transporter and tub. It works great for hills:weightlifter:

John, do you know off hand how much the tub holds?

get rich
03-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Yes i agree, i would get a used el cheap lawn tractor to tow around the carts with. Save your VERY EXPENSIVE lazer z for cutting grass. Hydro pumps aren't cheap, and common sesne would tell ya pulling with tese mowers are hard on them. Just extra wear and tear they don't need.

CAG
03-25-2006, 09:25 PM
here are my secret weapons .each truck holds 3 yards and the lawn tractor trailer hauls just better than 1/2 yard . oh yeh it hauls square bailes of hay to the horse just fine also ...dang it i keep forgettin to do the attachment...
3 yrds in a short bed??? I think somebody's giving you some tight scoops of mulch!!!!

CAG
03-25-2006, 09:29 PM
I heard the same thing, on one of my mowers their is a sticker saying that towing can result in hydro damage. Does anyone have any experiences or input on this???

Runner
03-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Pulling a cart with mulch is so little resistance that a Lazer won't even feel it. It goes through more than this just going up a hill. As far as the seperate barrel idea, I think that's a great idea because of the ability to put the mulch right to the back of the beds.

lawnman_scott
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
And not to be a jerk, but what is so different about your method of using garbage pails on a cart (those are really ggod carts, we had one in a warehouse for transporting materials for CATV) compared to say using a good sized wheelbarrow?I think it would be easier on someone to pull around a cart of mulch with a mower than to do it by hand using a wheelbarrow. Dont you? That would be what makes his way better.

John Gamba
03-25-2006, 09:45 PM
John, do you know off hand how much the tub holds?

8 Bushels of grass. I can get a measurement of it tomorrow.

stumper1620
03-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Pulling a cart with mulch is so little resistance that a Lazer won't even feel it. It goes through more than this just going up a hill. As far as the seperate barrel idea, I think that's a great idea because of the ability to put the mulch right to the back of the beds.
I agree Joe,
My JD dealer told me just be sure I maintain my fluid if I'm gonna use my 737 for towing my aerator, shoot I pull that thing around with 300 lbs of sand bags on it and never even notice it except on very steep hills and when it jumps on a tree root. They make hydros to work, thats what makes them so desirable to all equipment manufactures, when i worked on the golf course we work the he!! out of that equipment, never had hydro problems, wore out a lot of engines but never any hydros.
don't scare me a bit. it can take it.

John Gamba
03-25-2006, 09:48 PM

Joe

I have used the three bag's on the ultravac. If you weight the front it works well.

mike lane lawn care
03-25-2006, 10:22 PM
for towing applications like spreading and hauling heavy loads, i have an old murray lawn tractor with a GEAR tranmission, this thing may cut like crap but it is built like a tank! the only drawback is that the machine is soooooo light, you park it on a steep hill with even a half filled cart, and when you get off it, it slips down the hill

mike lane lawn care
03-25-2006, 10:28 PM
heres a picture of the murry

chriscraft
03-25-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a mullch job to do Tuesday and I will use my dump cart and GT to get it where it needs to go...

And not to be a jerk, but what is so different about your method of using garbage pails on a cart (those are really ggod carts, we had one in a warehouse for transporting materials for CATV) compared to say using a good sized wheelbarrow?
IF I CAN MAKE MY EMPOYEES WORK EASIER I WILL. maybe i just like to keep my emplyees happy and more productive. pushinf wheelbarrows is never fun or productiv if there is a faster way. I was just trying to let people know that this works very well for us and saves a lot of time. and as for wheelbarrows thats a lot of barrow to hold 4 33 gaalon cans , they might even be 39 gallon

chriscraft
03-25-2006, 10:36 PM
i tow an 800 lb roller filled with kiddy sand up and down hills 5 ,000 hours on my oldest laser, my hydraulics are fine. you can easily make $1,600 IN A DAY AERATING WITH A TOW BEHIND AND A WALK BEHIND, with 2nd guy doing perimeters, let me see thats 4 hydraulic pumps you could by for parts the 1st day, the 2nd day you could buy a spare 25 hp kohler, its worth towing if yo uask me. i ve been thru 1 or maybe 2 hydro pumps on that 5,000 hour laser and thats prob from 4,000 hours of cutting not 1,000 hours of pulling an aerator

ozd12005
03-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Killed myself for years with a shovel untill one day an old timer customer of mine came out of the garage with a pitch fork ...what a time saving tip

jmurphy
03-26-2006, 08:21 AM
I use a tractor and a cart to haul my mulch to the spot where it is needed. It works well and is a backsaver. I agree, the pitchfork is the only way to go.:weightlifter:

Roger
03-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I use three forks, a 4-tine, a 5-tine (both long handle), and a 10-tine silage fork (D handle). The silage fork was a huge improvement for loading the wheelbarrow, and forking out where dump-n-spread does not work. The fork is heavy, but will move much more material than the 4 or 5-tine forks. I only have a 5X10 trailer for hauling mulch, so all the unloading is by hand. I'm too small for a dump truck/dump trailer -- not enough use.

The silage fork is used for many other uses -- one of the best investments I made in hand tools. The other day I used it for debris cleanup on a trim job where the debris was heavy, I use it in the Fall to load leaves (sorry, my leaf loader is arms/shoulders), and a miriad of other uses.

DynaMow
04-07-2006, 11:16 PM
MMLawn is right. coal shovel on flat surface. You will never use that pitch fork again. Careful though you will be lifting twice as much material as you are use to.

lawnsplus
04-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Coal Shovel is deffinately the way to go.

Oh and the shortbed comment a few threads back... who told you you could get three yards in a shortbed?

Measure it and then let us know.

I can only get 2 yards in mine and that leaves me about 2" from the top.

Someones been getting ripped off.

Insometry
04-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Coal Shovel is deffinately the way to go.

Not sure if that is what I use.

Its a huge alluminium scoop/shovel. About a foot wide and a foot and a half deep. You burn through mulch like crazy with that thing - and I have tried pitch forks. This moves way more mulch. (3 - 4 scoops = full wheelbarrow).

I have been using wheelbarrows. The problem with the trashcans (I haven't used them) would seem to be lifting all that weight and trudging to the right spot. For example - if you need about half a trashcan worth on a tree. You have to lift it out of the trailer. Dump it. Spread it. Lift the can back in the trailer - go back to your mower, drive 4 feet, get off mower. Lift. Dump... Seems like, for me anyways, my back would start feeling it more than using a wheelbarrow. Maybe not. It seems like a set system would be hard to get into with all the mower driving between spots. (I work faster once I establish a walking pace.) Perhaps wheelbarrow is better for trees and the trailer system is better for large beds.