PDA

View Full Version : Crushed Stone

FIREMAN Q
03-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I have done some searching for some crushed stone coverages but I was unable to find the right answers.

I am working on an estimate for about 1500 square feet area that will need to have stone put in. this is a new install. I have a few questions about it. How deep should i spread the stone. Is 4 inches to much or not enough. I am going to put down landscape fabric also. I am planning on using 3/4 stone

I found here that 1 yard of mulch @ 3 inches will cover about 100 square feet but I can'f find how much 1 ton of rock will cover.

Heres the $$$ question. How do you determine the price for the install. SHould I be charging for 2 guys for 2 hours per ton?? How long will it take to spread a ton of rock??

Any help on this would be appreciated.

:drinkup: :drinkup:

sheshovel
03-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Fireman..Mulch and rock coverage is about the same..but one man, one man hour per yard or less
not two....per ton

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
When you buy stone the quarry or landscape yard should ahve a break down of the coverage, all sones weigh a lil differnet especially comparing say lava rock to a solid stone, but the palce you purchase should ahve coverage rates, check with them

befnme
03-24-2006, 02:33 PM
1 ton @ 2" deep will cover approx 150 sf.

FIREMAN Q
03-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Would you charge more for a rock installation than you would for mulch????

any more suggestions on some of the things I may be forgetting???

thanks again for the tips.

befnme
03-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Would you charge more for a rock installation than you would for mulch????

any more suggestions on some of the things I may be forgetting???

thanks again for the tips.

dadgone right i would .my mulch is 45 per yd. delivered and installed . my crushed brick is 160.00 per ton delivered and installed .

treedoc1
03-26-2006, 08:25 AM
1 ton of 3/4 will give you 50 sq ft at 4"

befnme
03-26-2006, 01:33 PM
1 ton @ 2" deep will cover approx 150 sf.

i guess i shoyuld mention this is crushed brick

FIREMAN Q
03-28-2006, 08:01 AM
does anyone have a set formula to determine how much rock is needed in any given situation??

I have 2 areas that will need some stone. the first area is 1100 sq ft. I originally gave a total of 1500sqft but the customer wants it broken down. into areas. Using the 1ton will cover 50sq@4" then I will need 22 ton. Does this sound right or is it too much.

Dreams To Designs
03-28-2006, 09:59 AM
This page might be of help. http://www.atstecks.com/stone.htm
You may have to adjust, but this usually gets me close.

Kirk

Grn Mtn
03-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Don't forget your fabric, I never use it with mulch but always with stone. I wouldn't put 4" down, the fabric will block weed growth from down under so just put enough rock to cover the fabric say 2-3". It is very difficult to to have some math formula predict the unpredictable (the things you don't input). Just estimate on the high side, you can always throw a little bit more down. YES charge more for stone. Its heavy and you can't just scoop it up with a poop shovel it flick it around :laugh: unless your the Hulk.

FIREMAN Q
03-28-2006, 08:42 PM
thanks for the link. Its exactly what I have been looking for.:drinkup:

FIREMAN Q
04-24-2006, 11:34 PM
want to say thanks again for the tips. I am now struggling with how i should price the rock. I can get most of my rock delivered for about $25, give or take a few bucks, so what should i be charging to spread it. I am working on an estimate for 23-34 tons. my usual price is $110 installed. Is this too much???? at 23 tons it comes out to $2530. I was thinking of lowering it to about $100 because of the bulk. I should also add that this is a drive way.

Just need some help on price. I know it is different depending on area and overhead, etc...but any help would put me in the right direction.

thanks

sir mows-a-lot
07-17-2006, 04:43 PM
I am about to do my first rock job. I need 5 - 8 yards, I'm thinking $75 to 80 per ton plus cost, which is right at your $110 mark. Given the bulk, I think $60/ton labor would be good. I would have a minimum of 4 people laying the rock at $10/hr. That way you're still making $50/ton profit.

I see this post is from April, how did the project turn out?

out4now
07-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Must be nice to get those kinds of prices to install stone;) Here you'd never get that. 3 inches is generally more than enough to cover for a bare install at least with granite can't say on brick, never worked with it before. People here either use the plastics (which don't last and make chem treatments a hassle or they lay the stone on pre-treated ground and simply chemical control.

FIREMAN Q
07-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I was surprised to see this post open again. That job never happended out. Although I did get another rock install. I got $125 ton installed. THis was in a very rich area, house are a MIL plus. I think for me though it is little over priced if i was in a different neighborhood.

Hoping that some of the guys that do a lot of these could lend a little insight. I want to make sure that i'm not under charging or over charging for that matter.

out4now
07-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I don't think there is really such a thing as overcharging in this business. If it were too high a price guarenteed they'd find someone else, in fact if you get a high percentage of your bids chances are you are under. Depends on what you can get in your area I guess. Granite covers entire lawns here and it is certainly not hard to come by nor are the fly by night companies that are willing to put it in. Alot of them head straight to the Wallys down the road where the posted SO NOT PICK UP DAY LABORERS is largely ignored.