PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Support

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 07:26 PM
So this guy in my town stuffing crap flyers in the door saying Hi im a college kid in your community bla blah blah and im paying my way thru college cutting grass i have 10 years exp lol ( i guess he started his buisiness at 8 yrs old) well maybe hes on his doctorates by now (well i degress) um where was I? Oh ya so he says Why pay a high price for great job ? and blah blah blah, He's advertising 16.50 per lawn. WHATEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR what can ya do? This one of the reasons i dont do flyers . Even if your legit, you just end up another piece of paper stuck between a door or blowin in the yard. I think this buisiness is going to hell in a hand basket and its depressing. I love the work , the outdoors, the people i work with and work for. I dont lose customers to them but it makes it hard as hell to get new ones. All the layoffs in Detroit area (GM FORD CHRYSLER) and they all buy a sears mower and hatchback. TELL ME IT WILL GET BETTER

Ric3077
03-24-2006, 07:32 PM
I know it sucks they are all over my town too...I just make sure I tell the customer something like, "Be careful who you choose...there are some kids out there charging less because they don't have insurance and if they fling a rock at the neighbors eye...you (the customer) would be responsible." Some customers still don't care, and you don't want those ones anyway. Plus if you offer more than mowing you can sell that...say something like, "I am your one stop shop". Just make sure you let the customer know everything they need to know. Also get the kids flyer...call him up and act like a customer...say, "Billy, are you insured?"..."Billy, I want to make the check out to YOUR COMPANY not YOU, is that ok?" scare him away!!!!!!!!! It will drive him :dizzy: Then you can wave bye bye to billy :waving:

mindset063
03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Also get the kids flyer...call him up and act like a customer...say, "Billy, are you insured?"..."Billy, I want to make the check out to YOUR COMPANY not YOU, is that ok?" scare him away!!!!!!!!! It will drive him :dizzy: Then you can wave bye bye to billy :waving:

Well said!

sheshovel
03-24-2006, 07:57 PM
I am so sorry I cannot offer you emotional support with this issue.You have to learn to deal with it if you are going to be in this business.I know it is frustrating but just keep on keepin on and you will work through it.

olderthandirt
03-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Well said!

What if Billy says yes and is legal?

mindset063
03-24-2006, 08:09 PM
What if Billy says yes and is legal?

then billy is working for nothing

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 08:12 PM
I think im ok actually SHE, it is discouraging the state of this industry alonf with others, roofing drywall , carpentry. We are especially hard hit in detroit area with alll the layoffs. Its just that not only are they ruining the buisiness for most legit companies
that charge a fair price for a good job, they are more so underselling themselves as individuals and saying thier self worth is 16.50 or wahtever. we cut hundreds of homes per week and do all the trimmings, Its just getting tough out there so we are branching in new directions and concentrating less on the maintenance aspect. We do not lose buisiness to them but it makes it harder to pick up new buisiness. just expressing my inward rage lol. HAVE A GOOD DAY

olderthandirt
03-24-2006, 08:16 PM
then billy is working for nothing

Not if Billy lives at home and uses a murry push mower doing 3K yard al day. Then Billys making a couple hundred a day or $1000 a wk. Bet a lot of those layed off auto workers wish they were making that

mindset063
03-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Not if Billy lives at home and uses a murry push mower doing 3K yard al day. Then Billys making a couple hundred a day or $1000 a wk. Bet a lot of those layed off auto workers wish they were making that

you may have a good point!

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Well 1/2 the non legits are justlaid off people in michigan. And i understand they are here to day , gone tomorrow, and there is nothing we can really do about it, and you just keep going, even a buddy of mine got underbid 400 A cut last year on a property that was fairly priced. It affects the commercial end as well. We do a lot of other things so its not really a big deal , Im just venting, curious how bad the rest of the country is. My county was the fastest growing county in the united states last year i believe also.

PMLAWN
03-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I will not tell you it will get better. It is only going to get worse. Things are going to change. Trick is to develop a plan to change with it and to profit from it. Do not post back and ask what the plan is. I can not answer that. First each must do their own thing and second I am not done thinking up what to do myself. But keep thinking.

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 08:48 PM
I have a plan im not worried at all for myself, or my company, just venting some hostility, frustration and discouragement im sure all of have or ahve has in the past. We have new directions ongoing this year and newer ones in the process for 07,it soon will be boating season and work season and i wont have time to think jsut cuth the grass and catch muskies, pike and largemouth bass