PDA

View Full Version : Sod warranty

tractrpowr45
03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I am going to be doing an estimate for laying sod in a backyard soon and I would like to know what other landscape professionals warranty their sod for- 30 days? 60 days? And what do you warranty it for-a guarantee if it dies you'll replace it free of charge labor and material or just labor? Any help would be appreciated.:headphones:

Xterminator
03-24-2006, 09:29 PM
No i was just talking about that Not unless They want to pay you to water

drsogr
03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I warranty 10 sq. yards. Basically I tell them that once its laid its laid...if a spot is bad...I will replace it. Everyonce in a while you just get a bad piece. I have never had to replace more than a piece or two. Make sure you show them how to water it.

Xterminator
03-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Yea a piece or two. I will too but guarantees are not given. That could get you in trouble

JB1
03-24-2006, 10:29 PM
we guarantee it will be green when we lay it.

sheshovel
03-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Unless there is an irrigation system in place..No guarantee..unless the Sod company guarantees their sod..no guarantee.Sod can die in two days..30 day guarantee with just the customers promise to water is not a good thing.

olderthandirt
03-24-2006, 10:46 PM
I guarentee its sod !

if I see it come off the truck

kootoomootoo
03-24-2006, 11:19 PM
warranty sod...may as well sign your name idiot.

YardPro
03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
i guarantee that without water it will die.

tractrpowr45
03-25-2006, 08:20 PM
OK, thanks guys for the advice. No sod warranty for me:)

JimLewis
03-29-2006, 01:38 AM
I've always warrantied our sod jobs for 120 days. But the warranty is clear. We won't be replacing sod if it's died from lack of water or dog urine. The customer is responsible for all appropriate maintenance on the lawn including, but not limited to; watering, fertilizing, weed control, insect and disease control, fungus control, etc.

So it's a fairly foolproof warranty.

The only way I'm going to come back and replace some sod is if it's clear that one or two strips just didn't take for some reason. For instance, the entire lawn looks great except one or two strips just didn't take. They died. So if it's obvious to me that they've been caring for the lawn appropriately and still a few strips died, then it's probably something we did wrong. So I'll replace those strips. But with that kind of stuff, usually you know within a few days. This almost never happens.

The only other time I'll warranty sod is if we just couldn't get the sod laid before it got bad. There have been times in the middle of the hot summer heat when we installed sod and even though we got it all down by the end of the day, the sod that didn't get laid down before 1:00 p.m. all died. So that's our fault for not getting it down quickly enough. And I'll warranty that too.

But we've done litereally hundreds of new sod jobs over the years. And I've only ever been called back to replace sod less than 5 times in all these years. And 4 of those times we only had to replace one or two strips. Very minimal. But those times we also gained a customer for life.

I'd re-think your decision to not warranty sod. I think most customers want to see SOME kind of warranty. And there's really very little risk involved with sod. Just make sure the ground is prepared correctly, the sod is installed correctly, and then make sure they have a plan to water it sufficiently and you'll hardly ever have to worry about it.

drsogr
03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
That also makes for a great sales point. How many sod installers have a 120 day warranty? I am guessing not many!

JimLewis
03-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Yah, it helps us get a lot of sod jobs too. We do quite a bit of new sod installs. We got two different ones going in today, as a matter of fact. But yah, it helps to sell the job when you're willing to back up your work. But like I said, I very rarely get called back to warranty anything. If you do sod right and they watter, it's hard for it not to live.

drsogr
03-30-2006, 01:28 PM
I would feel extremely comfortable selling a warranty like that. We rarely have any problems more than a yard.

My company does a 1 week checkup and then a 4 week checkup. My customers seem to really like that. Many time they tell me not to bother when it comes time for the 4 week checkup.

JimLewis
03-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Wow. I really like that idea of a 1 week and 4 week checkup! I bet the clients love it too! After the checkup, do you leave them a note or call them to tell them your opinion of the progress?

drsogr
03-31-2006, 08:35 AM
I usually try to schedule a time that is convienent for them when we leave the site. So I can schedule around it..since its a week away. If we can't find a good time or I get swamped....I will stop by and call them and let them know what I thought. The one week checkup is a big helper. Many people don't know how they should water their new sod...if they are doing it enough. It really helps to calm their nerves. I also put down the starter fertilizer at that time. The 4 week checkup is usually not necessary. At this point they are so happy with their yard they don't need to see me. I would say I go to half of those appts. I call them up for this one and ask how its going and ask if they would like me to come out for their final checkup.

Precision
03-31-2006, 08:19 PM
OK, thanks guys for the advice. No sod warranty for me:)
good plan.

only two things I guarantee are that we will put dirt side down.
and that if you don't follow my watering instructions you will get brown out.

LandscapePro
04-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Warranty only if I do the irrigation and have control of the timer until the sod is established.

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

Brianslawn
04-02-2006, 03:39 AM
i guarantee it for one day... if they pay double

dkeisala
04-02-2006, 01:44 PM
I've never guaranteed a sod job, never been asked to, never been called because it didn't take. We make sure it goes down right the first time and I leave explicit instructions with the client on how to take care of it. As long as the prep and installation are done correctly and there's an irrigation plan in place, shouldn't be any problems. Remember though, the Northwest is a pretty forgiving climate. As long as sods not going down in August or September, we're pretty safe.

dkeisala
04-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Just to add - I too do at least 2 check backs. This way I can pinpoint any problems and correct them before they become an issue.

Helpless in Lombard
04-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Just about every one had their grass die last year in chicago. I have had many call allready to completely rip out the old grass and install new. Many people just gave up and did not water at all. I usually use a sod cutter, rake it out and lay sod. But I have seen some crews just rototill the old grass and put sod on top of it. Anyone do this? Doesnt seem like a good idea.

wski4fun
04-05-2006, 11:37 PM
The way we do it around here is give a yr guarentee(sp?) We also charge a butt load more but it's like paying for ins and we all know how profitable the ins. industry is. Just another side to think about.