PDA

View Full Version : I get to put in a patio

sheshovel
03-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Here!In this tensie tiny spot.Wants a mountain ,natural feel and look to the patio..if it will be big enough to call it that..looks like I have some drainage issues to deal with on one side.These customers are big people!Any suggestions for a patio
material here?Flag..she wants...pavers he wants

topdog
03-25-2006, 02:40 AM
anyway u can find two that are close? i have a patio/walk way to do soon, and the wife wanted pavers...hubby wants brick, so we are gonna do the patio in larger pavers.....the walk way we are gonna stagger pavers and bricks togther in a pattern....was the best comprimse i could come up with and they liked it. i seen some similiar in a landscaping magazine where they had used a lot of different size and style pavers, bricks, & stones. i went with two colors that the homeowner has picked out. for this one the husband has parkinson disease, so it has to be very even..due to sometimes he shuffles his feet. this way he won't trip on the uneven surface. not sure if this helps, but just a suggestion.

cedarcroft
03-25-2006, 07:57 AM
flag in the center, pavers on the border??? appease both!

kris
03-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Flag..she wants...pavers he wants

I'm not being my usual "smartazz" here.
Studies have shown that the majority of time it is the Lady of the house that will make the decision on material and the Man will pay the bill.

GreenMonster
03-25-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm not being my usual "smartazz" here.
Studies have shown that the majority of time it is the Lady of the house that will make the decision on material and the Man will pay the bill.

Kris, they had to do a "study" to figure that out?!?! :rolleyes:

She, when you say "she" do you mean the wife, or you?

treedoc1
03-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Maybe this idea might fit your clients differing wants.

Green-Pro
03-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Uni Lock has a new product called Yorkstone. This is a manmade product that in essence combines the look of flagstone with the straight edges/consistency of pavers.
I am just finishing an estimate for some folks that requested irregular flag because they like the look of flag. When I met with them to go over product choices, and show our promotional materials, they were liked the Yorkstone a great deal. Heres the link.

http://www.unilock.com/Product.asp?Product=156

UNISCAPER
03-25-2006, 10:32 AM
You are not going to be able to get Unilock west of the Mississippi, I have tried for years and they feel their market is good where it's at. You can ship the product but then you are dancing around $16.00 per s.f. for materials.

If they are looking for the feel of the mountains, irregular flagstone set on a concrete slab in a mortar bed is the way to go, but they are going to have $10.00 per sf for the concrete (small pour costs more) and another $27.00 per sf for irregular flag just to start the budget process.

So, key Q here, what is their budget? If it's tight you might want to sell them stamped concrete, Palomino base color with chocolate release. When you wash off the release, the dark brown will accent the rich color of the Palomino and stick in the joints as well. It will appear as a drak moratred joint with dark accents in the stone. Seal it with Wet Look and you are off.

PLM-1
03-25-2006, 10:40 AM
You are not going to be able to get Unilock west of the Mississippi, I have tried for years and they feel their market is good where it's at. You can ship the product but then you are dancing around $16.00 per s.f. for materials.

If they are looking for the feel of the mountains, irregular flagstone set on a concrete slab in a mortar bed is the way to go, but they are going to have $10.00 per sf for the concrete (small pour costs more) and another $27.00 per sf for irregular flag just to start the budget process.

So, key Q here, what is their budget? If it's tight you might want to sell them stamped concrete, Palomino base color with chocolate release. When you wash off the release, the dark brown will accent the rich color of the Palomino and stick in the joints as well. It will appear as a drak moratred joint with dark accents in the stone. Seal it with Wet Look and you are off.

Just FYI, you can get Unilock in Missouri. (west of the Mississippi! :clapping: )

Green-Pro
03-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Just FYI, you can get Unilock in Missouri. (west of the Mississippi! :clapping: )We are west of the mighty Miss also, but i suspect bill is refering to a tad further west, like Ca.
I didn't realize Uni Lock was that difficult to get out west Bill, to bad they produce some quality products IMHO, nice to work with as well.

UNISCAPER
03-25-2006, 10:51 AM
We were an authorized installer in Chicago area for years and I brought several high end samples out here with me. We've used Unilock a few times, but when you add $5,300.00 per trailer load to the coast of the product, most people won't bite. We did an Il Campo job with 7300 sf and then a Brussels stone with 12,000 sf.

With a semi being able to carry about 1000 sf of materials, you can see pretty easily what that stuff costs to ship.

sheshovel
03-25-2006, 02:52 PM
What you see on top there is fill brought in by the contractor and compacted..you dig down 1' and get a solid clay base soil.Sorry guys I don't pour cement.
And I am not gonna give the job to the cement guys to put in their pocket.The budget is whatever because they have made up their mind they want it.When I said she..I ment the wife.Thanks anyway treedoc but that page did say Uniloc was not available in my area.I am thinking Chocolate AZ flag
I guess I will have to take them down to the suppliers and show them some materials.Last time I did that..I endend up with a patio of all 4 colors of AZ flag and it looked funny.

sheshovel
03-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Would you suggest square,rectangle or round?

cgland
03-25-2006, 04:23 PM
She - What about a paver patio w/ a flag circle in the middle?

Chris

sheshovel
03-25-2006, 05:46 PM
All these are good suggestions..I will mull them over while it rains..rains and rains..and rains some moer.Thankyou

Beartooth
03-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Willowcreek pavers have an "old world " tumbled look to them and I have substituted them a few times for natural stone. They are a great option to look at. They are made by the same company that manufactures Versa-lok retaining wall block.

sheshovel
03-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Willow Creek?OK I will check it out.