PDA

View Full Version : Yard Removal Process.....Methods?

RockSet N' Grade
03-25-2006, 09:24 AM
I have a yard (30,000 sq ft) that homeowners never planted for two years. Now it has become a jungle that they just mow. They want removal, grading and seed/sod ready. Ground is black farm ground, no rocks.

My method has been to till the first couple inches, scrape it up with tractor/skid buckets, till again and then grade with box/roller combo. Hand rake edges/corners. Layout of yard is not conducive to discing.

Other methodologies/system that works better?

CLARK LAWN
03-25-2006, 04:56 PM
kill off hole yard with round-up then harley rake it

start2finish
03-26-2006, 03:09 PM
harley rake is a great way to remove old thatch, but I would recommend cutting the old material with bush hog or mower if possible. Make sure you don't mow then round-up that doesn't work well. Kill it come back in 14 days to cut down and then harley rake the rest.

PSUturf
03-26-2006, 08:17 PM
You said it is farm ground. That often means a large amount of weed seed in the soil. I would definitely spray with Roundup and then Harley rake. If possible, water the soil daily for two weeks prior to seeding. This will germinate a lot of the weed seeds in the upper inch of soil. Spray again with roundup and then seed 3-5 days later.

start2finish
03-26-2006, 09:49 PM
the round-up label states to wait a minimum of 14 days before seeding.

CuttinUP
03-26-2006, 10:24 PM
the round-up label states to wait a minimum of 14 days before seeding.
I believe Quick-Pro by Round-up has a faster kill and you can put down seed sooner then with regular round-up.

lawnkid
03-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Usually we will kill the vegetation, come back and cut down the dead weeds and grass in about 2 weeks that is now thatch. Then we harley rake the whole place a couple times, rockhound it, spread a good 2-3" of rich organic topsoil, that we till in with the harley rake, then final grade lighty with the landscape rakes anf hydroseed. Any weed killer or vegetation killer has no effect on seedings. It's only when there is something sprouted and growing. Sometimes we'll include weed control products in our tanks before hydroseeding. I'm sure some of you here will dissagree with my comment about roundup not effecting new seeds but the guys I work with hae been hydroseeding for over 20 years and most graduated from college with ergonomics and turf management degrees.

joshua
03-27-2006, 01:28 AM
round up is a systemic which means in needs to be incontact with the leafs for it to have any effect. it isn't active in the soil. no on waiting 14 days if you just spay round up then it does need that time to kill the entire plant. if you mix in straight 2-4d then it cuts down the time a few days.