PDA

View Full Version : Whats the worst part of Landscaping for you?

Landscape89
03-25-2006, 11:07 AM
A. Dealing with *$$hole Customers
B. Hiring New People/ Telling crew do have it done the way you want it
C. Buying/Fixing Equipment
D. None..It's all good

zim bob the landscaper
03-25-2006, 03:14 PM
im not really for fixing equiptment i like buying new equiptment but fixing it sucks.

Kumi
04-02-2006, 10:27 PM
out of the choices available,i'd say dealing with ******* customers. a guy i did work for one time used to always bad mouth the guy who did work before me. plus he'd say things about black people ect. now i'm not black so i don't really care but after hearing it all the time it started to get pretty old. plus the guy was rather rude and he had a way of getting under your skin without even trying.

safe to say,i dropped that job like a bad habit. (the job was too big for me at the time anyways. i gave it one try and determined it wouldn't work out for me to do it again.)

sheshovel
04-02-2006, 11:21 PM
It might be the worst part for you but it is THE most important part..if you can't deal with and communicate with your client effectively..you can't sell jobs and you might as well bite the dust

olderthandirt
04-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Waking up in the morning, be better if it was a night job

Gatewayuser
04-02-2006, 11:34 PM
What sucks is putting a lot of money into a landscape job including payroll, supplies and equipment and then have to wait 2 or 3 weeks to be payed but its worth it in the end.

tcls83
04-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I chose "It's all good" out of the list.

Customers don't bother me. If someone seems like a potential pain in the butt when I am giving them a quote, I'll just jack up the prices, so they likely won't hire me (lets just call it the "Pain in the azz fee"). But if they do hire me, dealing with them is worth the extra money going into my pocket. And Older folks can either be really good people, or miserable pains. I can deal with the pains. If they want to fire me, fine.

I only buy things when I know I can afford it, want a low overhead, so whenever I get something new, I get all excited to use it for probably a month after I buy it. Sometimes I get a little irritated when I have to buy an expensive new part for repair, but I just get it done to get it out of the way, then I kind of look at it as "Good, this part will last me a while, now it will be a long time before I have to worry about this part is ready to break".

Hiring people, even though for the most part I work alone, whenever I need an extra helper it is a buddy of mine, but when the time comes when I need to hire someone, I am a patient man with training and such. But if right of the bat they are lazy and just show up for the sake of showing up, I'd try to make things unpleasant for them so they would quit.

But really, the only thing I really don't care for is doing paperwork, taxes, and such. I want to be working outside! I can't wait for when the day comes when I can afford to hire a secretary.

Oh, and one other thing gets me really PO'ed. Doing fall cleanups in the wind!! Man, does that frustrate me! It really does waste a lot of your time. When you have a backpack on and you're blowing a pile of leaves and all of the sudden the leaves blow in your face, I pretty much feel like hurting someone or something, but there there is nothing to hurt, so that makes me even angrier. You should see me when it happens, you'd laugh.

But still, everything is good. Right now, I love what I do.

JJLandscapes
04-24-2006, 10:23 AM
you should add 100 degree days , rain, and wind when you are doing cleanups

J&R Landscaping
04-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I hate the days when it is 100+ degrees, hazy hot and humid out. When it rains day after day after day, it also sucks but it keeps the grass green and growing.

Dealing the a$$hole customers and cheap customers suck. I don't have a problem fixing equipment or doing maintnence on it! Though, filling the equipment up when gas is $3?? a gallon sucks big time!

tcls83
04-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Call me crazy, but I kinda like the 100 degree days (Drinking tons of water helps a lot). Especially the hot days that have a nice thunderstorm at the end of the day to cool you off (Windy T-storms can bring some good cleanups afterwards also).

Rain does put me off, but most of my clients understand if I am late to cut.

Yeah, like mentioned before, cleanups in the wind sucks. Something you can do nothing about gets me PO'ed.

$3.00 gas- Who does like $3.00 gas??? If they stay above $3 for a while, its a good enough of an excuse to increase our prices. Guess there's nothing we can do about that neither, unless if we become in charge of an oil company.

I guess I am a "glass half full" kinda guy.

Precision
04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
stupid employees who don't give a crap is one bad thing.
dirtbag clients who write bad checks and refuse to pay them off is another.
being at the mercy of the weather.
the new crop of hack and slash artists who work for below cost is another.

But all in all I like what I do and make good money

LawnGuy73
05-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Dealing with the customer who want it done now, and don't want to pay until three weeks after the next lunar eclipse...:rolleyes:

topsites
05-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Here's my list, a set apart from the poll, roughly in order:

1) LEAVES !!!
2) New customers who agree and you do the work, then they never pay the first dime.
3) Any kind of downtime due to a repair that ruins most if not all the rest of the day - Good thing they're few and far in between.
4) Lately, sharpening blades. Good thing they're all sharp right now lol.

As for HOT weather, I like it because it wipes the map clean of wannabees.

BSDeality
05-15-2006, 12:59 AM
#1. paperwork! i absolutely hate it. I took advantage of the rain-out weekend to get caught up on paperwork. My last entry was from 3/11... so about 2 months worth. I pay the bills on time every time, but entering expenses.. thats another story. My new goal is to sit down afterwork every day and enter in any and all paperwork now that i'm caught up on it. The physical work is starting to slow a little as well with most of the mulching and scu's done.

#2 weather. It seems like every time I get close to getting back on schedule we get a 2 or 3 day binge of rain to f' things up again.

Dagwin
05-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I've been in business for 11 years and I've seen it all.

I hate:

The new hire that doesn't even show up on day 1.

The fact that I have to keep probation sheets in my office for my employees.

The fact that 99% of those that respond to my help wanted ads don't have a license or a car.

The new guy that told you he had 10 years of experience and thinks your snowblower is a power rake.

Extremely picky customers that don't pay you.

Flat tires (truck, trailer or mowers).

Working Sundays. Especially trying to get employees to work on Sundays.

Let me end this with a recent "HORRIBLE CUSTOMER!!!"

- She is about 70 years old. She thinks my mower can also pull dandelions out of her lawn. When we first showed up to cut this year (new customer), there was a nice mohawk on her front lawn (evidence of a previously disgruntled landscaper). This week, we found out why there was that mohawk. Her neighbor informed us that she actually slapped the previous guy. He then called the police, but because he had an outstanding warrant, HE got ARRESTED!!! Talk about a bad day. But then this neighbor went on to inform us that this customer of mine goes through about 6 to 7 landscape companies per year. She told me to get the money and run, which I already did before she told me that. What a coincidence. I just got done telling my customer to pay me in full because I will never be coming back. The neighbor also said that one day last year the old lady needed her lawn cut (big surprise... she must have been between companies) so she asked the neighbor's 15-year-old daughter to do it. So she did, and then the crazy old lady called social services on the mother claiming she was unfit to let her young daughter cut a lawn. WOW, is that lady out of her frickin' MIND???!!!