PDA

View Full Version : What is the best irrigation system for residential?

PetalsandPines
03-25-2006, 12:21 PM
I am a landscaping contractor and I have to coordinate an installation with an irrigation installation. Of course I am not doing the irrigation installation because that is not in my realm of expertise, but I have 3 potential contractors that install 3 different systems. Toro, Rainbird & weathermatic. What is the best system because this is in a "high end" development (20,000 sq foot lawn).
Any specifics I should ask for or require? (I am in Western New York)
Thanks guys.

PurpHaze
03-25-2006, 12:24 PM
It's doubtful that you will get a consensus from everyone here. We all have our own likes and dislikes based on our experiences, suppliers and the areas we work in. I'll leave it to our east coast brethern to make a suggestion. :waving:

koster_irrigation
03-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Which contractor will be the best for service after the install is complete? Look into that more and then decide. Ive been told by a customer once "will, i dont care what brand you install... i heard you are the best for service, end of story"

Dirty Water
03-25-2006, 12:54 PM
We don't install just one brand...Most of the competent contractors don't.

Beartooth
03-25-2006, 06:30 PM
No matter what, CHECK REFERENCES! And don't be afraid to go and look at their work. Remember, your reputation is also on the line. You are being depended on to supply a competent sub-contractor. Be willing to pay for a good product.

Az Gardener
03-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Everything said above is true. No good substitute for looking at a completed job. Use your eyes and some common sense
Are the sprinkler heads below grade but not so deep they can't get over the grass?
Is the controller mounted professionally, sprinkler wires in pipe or conduit?
Is the controller labeled, does it have a back up battery?
Look in a valve box, is there space to do a repair?
Is the valve box full of crap from the install?
Did they use a good waterproof connection or household wire nuts and black tape?
If they used drip are the emitters right on top of the root ball?
If drip is on a hillside is the emitter on the up hill side?
Are the flower beds/pots on their own valve or did they tie them in with the plants drip? or even worse do they just rely on over spray from the lawn heads?
Do you see evidence of trenches that have compacted and not been topped off?
This should get you started.

bumper
03-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Most use a combo package that may included Rainbird , Toro, Hunter. The real issue as suggested is...does the system work as defined by the different zones for different watering needs and was it installed professionally and effeciently