PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for the future.

Howie's Lawn Care
03-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm thinking I'd like to get into the mulch business next year and I'm wondering how you guys all do it. The big company in my town has single cab f-350 diesel dumps and I think that would be the best route to go. What do you guys think about th V10s. I've seen some very reasonably priced V10 dumps. How horrible do you think a regular cab V10 dump would do with gas.

What are the actual procedures for installing mulch? Do you dump on driveway, then wheel barrow or what? What is the most affective way? I've never seen any pros do it? Also, I know its a far ways off for me, but how do you haul landscaping blocks? Do you put them on a skid and load on trailer or what? Thanks for any input you guys have.

-Nick Howard

Jpocket
03-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Mulching depends on the job. Some jobs you can dump it all on site, then spread with wheel barrows. some jobs you have to park on the street and wheel barrow to the beds. Not hard at all.

Travel'n Trees
03-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Everyone is different we just did 90 yards today. We had 110 trees and beds, we used the skid to load the dump and and wheeled it. We did have 3 people though. Just don't wast your time with the FORD, they can void your warranty for hauling dirt rock or mulch or coal. Also for plugging in a cell phone into the cigarette lighter, I just got rid of my 550 crew cab, 4x4, auto xlt. This truck is completely overrated it is no way a heavy-duty truck. These have been my experiences with FORD's.

start2finish
03-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I may have misunderstood your question, but if you are trying to sell mulch, the local mulch distibutor bought a 25900 gvwr international and had it fitted with a 20 yard bed and live bottom, this setup has scales. They can drop 4 yards here and 6 yards there saves lots of fuel on homeowner do-it-yourself deliveries. Load it and leave and make 5-6 $60.00 deliveries in one pop.

ladibugg
03-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Nick,
I can't and won't try to disagree with the post about warranty problems. Just like everything it all depends on service after the sale. But, with that in mind let me tell you I love my V10. I do not get millage worth spit, but the truck runs great and will hall a house if given half a chance. It pulls nice and rides nice. The truck brakes on a dime and steers much better than the Dodge I had. Ford may or may not be a great company, but the V10 I have is a great motor. No disrespect meant to Travel'n Trees.:)

Howie's Lawn Care
03-26-2006, 08:28 PM
I may have misunderstood your question, but if you are trying to sell mulch, the local mulch distibutor bought a 25900 gvwr international and had it fitted with a 20 yard bed and live bottom, this setup has scales. They can drop 4 yards here and 6 yards there saves lots of fuel on homeowner do-it-yourself deliveries. Load it and leave and make 5-6 $60.00 deliveries in one pop.

I was just trying to get more information about installing it, but if you do want to sell it, where can you buy it from? How much does a yard cost and how much can you sell it for? I'd like to do a little mulch work, but have no idea how to charge, or estimate how much to use. Do you guys think I could use my trailer with the 2 foot sidewalls? Also, if you park on the street, how exactly do you wheel barrow it? I'm sorry for asking questions you may consider stupid, but I've never done it or seen it done and I want to do it right. Do you just stand by the bed and shovel, because it seems the bed may be somewhat high to be shoveling out of it. Thanks for you help guys. I really appreciate it.

- Nick Howard

Travel'n Trees
03-27-2006, 05:01 AM
No disrespect taken, but I have been to 5 different dealers in less than 2000 miles, the last one the truck didn't even start when I picked it up??? They showed me where they can void my warranty for charging my cell phone in it. The manufacture also threatened to void my warranty if I used it haul rock,dirt,mulch,coal. A f550 4x4 dump truck??