PDA

View Full Version : Passing out Flyers.

stuffdeer
03-26-2006, 01:38 AM
Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question on passing out flyers.

When I print out flyers to give to potential customers, should I knock on the door and explain myself and give them one, or just leave them on their front door?

I heard knocking gives you a better chance because it is more personal. But I also think that you could do 3-4 for everyone you knocked on.

Thanks a lot guys. This is my first year, and I want to learn as much as possible.

Mike R

RedWingsDet
03-26-2006, 01:52 AM
I just put mine on doors. But first of all, why are you printing them on your computer? it'll cost you ALOT more if you print them out on your computer. Every year I usually go through about 30,000 flyers and I have them printed up, I think i payed about 500 for all 30,000.

But honestly, for you, just order like 5,000 and it should last you the whole season if you plan on passing them out yourself. Nocking on the doors would help, but I never pass out my own flyers, I did it the first year and HATED it.

lawnsplus
03-26-2006, 01:57 AM
That will take until June for the first 1000...

Just print 2000 and start :walking: When you hit 1500 have 2000 more printed and hit the same houses again. Eventually you can have your guys do it preseason and then hire a high school kid to do it just be careful with the kids they like to throw away fliers from time to time.

You should get around 1-3% response from this the first time.(March)

If you are persistent and continue in the same area putting your name in their face every other month, by time #2 (May) you will get another 1-2% and with a really well designed #3 (July) You could be offering irrigation, hardscapes, fire pits in my area are getting huge, landscape lighting and start putting snow removal on there mind and holiday lighting. #4 (September) Heavier on snow removal and holiday decorations and lighting. #5 (November) More of the same. #6 (January)Lawn care fert etc. and do it all over again.

Persistence is key.

I used to advertise for a large fertilizer and pest control co. and we had 80% of the busniess in some neighbor hoods in two years or less. We were able to reduce our prices due to volume and reduced travel times in some areas.

Just my take on things, I started my own co. this year and have good sucess thus far. I started marketing my own co. in September of 05.

I try to get my name in front of them all as much as possible be creative.

stuffdeer
03-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Heh, I wish I had guys working for me.

I'm looking to keep this kind of cheap, Seeing as How I'm only 15, and just starting out.

RedWingsDet
03-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Heh, I wish I had guys working for me.

I'm looking to keep this kind of cheap, Seeing as How I'm only 15, and just starting out.

keep this in mind....

your still in HS. you have NO need to rush things. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldnt even be in this business (no offence to other guys on here), but theres alot more money to be made in electric, plumbing, etc. Which hopefully in a few years when im done at WMU I can start a business (concrete, siding, roofing, construction, gas station super stores, etc.) that can actually make me a millionaire by the time im 40 lol.

If I was your age I would just work for someone else at like a pizza place or something and focus on something other than lawncare/landscaping. Especially in this area, you cant make anymoney really unless you have over 100 accounts. Which around here everythings so cutthroat it can be hard to get for a new guy.

but also since your in HS you can get alot of cheap help to pass flyers out. Just ask some people if they wanna make some money passing flyers out for like 8 hours on saturdays or sundays and give them like $7 an hour and they'll do it. You could easily get 1000 passed out in a day with 2 guys for 8 hours, and that way while they're passing out flyers you can talk to the people that start calling you.

Oh and in 4-6 weeks go hit those houses again with new flyers.

stuffdeer
03-26-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks!

I'll think of that. I got a couple of buddies who said they'd help do it for free.

Also, I have 3 paper routes and working at a party store 25 hours a week. So I'm really doing ok for my age, I just don't want to answer to anyone with "Yes Sir" Anymore. You know what I mean?

Mike

RedWingsDet
03-26-2006, 02:15 AM
I hear ya, but its ALOT easier to answer to the YES SIR than it is to customers sometimes, its alot less headache too.

stuffdeer
03-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Yea, I agree with you there.

It's just, I see what my dad has been through in his times in jobs. He has been Supervisor for 25 years, and he was always saying "I hate it".

But now, He's got his own buisness, and loving it.

K9poopbusters.com...HEH.

Thanks everyone!

RedWingsDet
03-26-2006, 02:24 AM
But now, He's got his own buisness, and loving it.

K9poopbusters.com...HEH.

Thanks everyone!

ya but in a few years that kind of work will be like lawncare, there will be soooo many people doing it, just like how in the 90's with lawncare.

stuffdeer
03-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Yea, But he got started now, so, How big will he be in 5-10 years?

lawnsplus
03-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Its funny I still answer to my customers with yes sir and no sir :hammerhead:

Willofalltrades
03-26-2006, 02:58 PM
I would say no don't knock. I tried door to door sales for my pressure washing comp. and people were anoyed. place the flyer on a door by the garage door or on the front foor.