PDA

View Full Version : new employee: how much should i pay him?

texaslandscaper
03-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Thanks to some helpfull advice on this site i looked for and found me a new employe instead of me trying to do my tree jobs. He has 5 years experiece in tree trimming and removal and was formely employed by a naboring city for the same services. I had been offered several tree triming jobs and removals but i didnt have the experience. He has tons of refrences of whom i have checked. He just doesnt have the equipment and transportation, I found him by a friend who was having his tree removed. What would be the best way of paying him considering that i provide all the equipment and transportation to the site. I have seen the latest job he did and i was impressed. the tree was about 30 feet high. should i pay him by the hour or should i bid and pay him a percentage.

texaslandscaper
03-26-2006, 02:13 AM
i am thinking of providing him with a work cellphone an old truck,trailer and all the equipment and fuel needed for the completion of all jobs. all he will provide is experience and his labor. I want him to primarily do my tree jobs but would like to utilize him for other lawn jobs when no tree jobs are available.

godzilla
03-26-2006, 09:01 AM
I don't know the rates down there, but I'd have to say at least $15 - $20 per hour if he is any good. Are you going to be working with him on the tree jobs? Can't go sending him out alone... WAY too dangerous.

Jay Ray
03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
A good climber who can work without a bucket truck gets top dollar here.

chriscraft
03-26-2006, 11:20 AM
you beter make sure your insurance covers you for the use of chainsaws and climbing. Its an add on for most policies,tree guys around here run about $60-$100 an hour. You better really know what youre doing if your going into tree work, i just give to a buddy he refers me i refer him , i cant be bothered with theexpense liability xtra INSURANCE FOR 1 OR 2 JOBS

Lawn Masters
03-26-2006, 03:50 PM
You'll need to hire him a groundsman too. without someone to pick up what he's puttin down, the whole operation stops pretty fast.

texaslandscaper
03-26-2006, 10:17 PM
You'll need to hire him a groundsman too. without someone to pick up what he's puttin down, the whole operation stops pretty fast.

i talked to him today and we decided that i will only subcontract him and he will provide a groundman out of his part. I got a bid to remove a tree to the stump and trim a few branches wich isnt very much. It will take him according to him 4 hours to completly remove the tree and about another hour to trim the other tree. I will only provide the transportation and trailer he will load and unload th tree limbs how much should i have given him. I bid the job at $425 how much should he get and how much should i get. Got the client from one of my ads on the local paper.

Xterminator
03-26-2006, 10:22 PM
i talked to him today and we decided that i will only subcontract him and he will provide a groundman out of his part. I got a bid to remove a tree to the stump and trim a few branches wich isnt very much. It will take him according to him 4 hours to completly remove the tree and about another hour to trim the other tree. I will only provide the transportation and trailer he will load and unload th tree limbs how much should i have given him. I bid the job at $425 how much should he get and how much should i get. Got the client from one of my ads on the local paper.

I would give him 40 % if he is Paying Help 170.00

godzilla
03-27-2006, 07:01 AM
If HE is paying his helper, regardless of comp or not... he deserves a LOT more than $170 for 4 hrs. That's barely $20 per man hour!

texaslandscaper
03-27-2006, 10:19 PM
If HE is paying his helper, regardless of comp or not... he deserves a LOT more than $170 for 4 hrs. That's barely $20 per man hour!
I decided to pay him 300. The tree was actualy a 50 footer,got most of it done today finishing tommarrow.

dcondon
03-27-2006, 10:40 PM
I decided to pay him 300. The tree was actualy a 50 footer,got most of it done today finishing tommarrow.

That was nice of you because I'm sure he worked his a$$ off. YES I would give him more then 50%. JMO:)

texaslandscaper
03-29-2006, 02:02 AM
That was nice of you because I'm sure he worked his a$$ off. YES I would give him more then 50%. JMO:)
he sure did. He took down the final trunk today, he did a great job considering there were two house roofs and a damaged brick fence in the way. I only had a problem with his method of trimming a tree in the front yard of the complete removal. He didnt trim very well leaving lots of base cuts sticking out. My client was not happy at all. I did lots of apoligizing. I figured my new employee would know better than that. I figure he was burned out and took the easy way out. now im faced with firing him because of his lack of attention. I dont like to have to apoligize to my clients espicialy those who are paying over four hundred dollars.

rfed32
03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
i would give him more than 50% alsol...i mean u still commin out of it with some cash and ur not doing much other than findin the job finding hime....yes i know a lot of work, but so is a 50foot tree...i think u gave him the right amount....

lawnwizards
03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
he sure did. He took down the final trunk today, he did a great job considering there were two house roofs and a damaged brick fence in the way. I only had a problem with his method of trimming a tree in the front yard of the complete removal. He didnt trim very well leaving lots of base cuts sticking out. My client was not happy at all. I did lots of apoligizing. I figured my new employee would know better than that. I figure he was burned out and took the easy way out. now im faced with firing him because of his lack of attention. I dont like to have to apoligize to my clients espicialy those who are paying over four hundred dollars.
you can't fire a sub contractor.. only your own employees... just don't use him again if it didn't work out..

sheshovel
03-29-2006, 05:04 PM
I woulden't subcontract to anyone less than a certified Arborist.Or you are gonna have problems.You send him out on your jobs you are the one that looks bad when he screws up as you have already seen.What happens when he damages some property of kills somebody standing by?Or falls and kills himself..is your insurance willing to cover..this is a dangerous job to trust to anybody who is not certified...I sure would not take that kind of chance

Landscape25
03-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Texas if he trimmed it right outside the branch collar that should be fine and it should heal from what I understand. Actually I think that is the currently accepted method although maybe controversial. If he left alot that is a different story.