PDA

View Full Version : Customer brochure, guide and rules all in one?

Tinkerer
03-26-2006, 02:50 AM
Anyone ever print up a simple brochure to hand out to your current customers and potential new ones? For example:
Welcome to __________ lawncare I/we strive to do quality lawncare so you don't have to. We are insured and have been in business since 19__. Business #___________, Cell #______________, email ____________@______.com
Do not call before __am or after ___pm.
Services we offer: mowing, trimming, aeration, fertilizing, weed controll and retaining walls, fall and spring cleanup.
Our normal hours of operation are 9am until ______ monday through ______.
Trimming with a weed trimmer is done every mowing in the first 2 months of the mowing season and every 2 mowings thereafter. This can change due to how fast the grass is growing.

Bills are sent out after the last day of the month and a check is due within __ days.

If the weather doesn't cooperate we sometimes have to mow on saturday and/or sunday but avoid it as much as possible. Now and then mother nature greatly hampers our efforts to do the greatest job we can and will rain on all of the lawns we mow for 2, 3, 4, or more days in a row, then we have no choice but to mow your lawn when it is wet and that makes the grass clump and not look as good as we would like it to be.

Pet droppings: we don't pickup pet droppings and hitting them with the mower or driving over them is messy so please pickup pet droppings before we mow. If pet droppings are not picked up we will mow "around" them.

Mowing patterns are alternated on a regular basis to reduce compaction lines being worn into your lawn. Smaller lawns and/or smaller sections of lawns will have less patterns that I can use due to limited manuverability in the given section of the lawn.

On sandy lawns and/or during a drought period the sandblasting effect to the mowers deck and blades is very destructive and costly. If we encounter these conditions there will be a ___%/$ surcharge for excessive blade wear.

SAFETY! EVERY year in the United States 75-100 people die from injuries due to rocks or other debris being thrown from lawn equipment, lawn equipment rolling over on hills or the most common injury is from a child approaching from behind a person operating a riding mower, the operator doesn't hear/see the child and the child is backed over and/or ran over with serious injuries or death. Children often are drawn to powered mowers by curiousity. While we are mowing, trimming etc please keep yourself, children and pets at least 100 feet from our equipment or be inside.

Extreme situations: Mowing on very steep banks or hills will not be done if the ground is too wet, if it is raining or other factors reduce traction on the hill. Though extemely rare,, if continued un-needed pressure is put on me/or my employees to work in unsafe conditions, finish a job at an accellerated manner that is destructive to equipment or if you yell and/or harrass me or my employees for no good reason, I will terminate services immediately without notice whether the job agreed upon is finished or not. The law allows us to do this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what do you all think? The last paragraph was inspired by a customer I had last fall. You might remember my thread "How do I drop this customer?".
Not all of us on this board would write this brochure/guide the same way. People in other areas dealing with other conditions would write theirs differently. How would you write yours or if you have one, what does it say?

nobagger
03-26-2006, 06:59 AM
I don't know man, sounds like your a pi$$ed of guy. It honestly doesn't look or sound too professional. There was a guy that posted an almost perfect letter in here that covers a lot of these things. I incorperated it into my contracts. I'll see if I can post it. A lot of this is put into my contract, to me if you sent this to me as a new customer I would be thinking...this guy is a jerk forget him.

MMLawn
03-26-2006, 07:37 AM
NO OFFENSE, but you ask for opinions, so here it is.

The wording makes you sound like you are a pizzed of guy that does a halfazzed job.

godzilla
03-26-2006, 07:49 AM
If I received that from my lawn guy, I'd toss it and start looking for somebody else.

JTF40
03-26-2006, 07:54 AM
By the way, you should send out INVOICES - not "bills." :usflag:

Tinkerer
03-26-2006, 11:49 PM
I had the feeling it sounded a bit angry too and I'm looking for input. Thank you guys for your input and honesty. I'm not always that good with words.

maintenanceguy
03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I think a "welcome to billy-bob's lawcare" letter would be nice to let them know what to expect with your company.

It's nice to let them know when you'll be sending invoices, that you may occasionally have to change the schedule due to weather, and that you don't want their kids to get hurt. I'd even throw in that kids and pets should be kept off the lawn for so many hours after spraying pesticides.

But the letter needs to be lighter and more friendly.

And it's your job to decide if the lawn is sandy enough to justify additional costs when you bid. Going after the home owner for "extras" that you missed is not professional.

Last paragraph definately has to go.

Remsen1
03-27-2006, 05:15 PM
It's pretty good, but the last paragraph needs alot of work. Also, you may want to add something about cut height (pet peeve of mine) and why we cut the grass a little higher than Scalpum's Mowing service. And along this same line of thought why frequent cutting is better for grass than bi-weekly during heavy growth and less often during drought.