PDA

View Full Version : Do you wave at the competition?

Full throttle lawn care
03-26-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't but maybe I should start? Is this Biz kinda like a brotherhood?

Green-Pro
03-26-2006, 10:30 AM
I do even to the pr!ck$. Most I'm on good terms with, and we have referred jobs to each other when they are out of our service area or we are to busy.
I want to grow my business, but there is generally enough to support the amount of companies in my area.

stumper1620
03-26-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't but maybe I should start? Is this Biz kinda like a brotherhood?
I do,
but I rarely get a wave back.
I really don't care if they do or don't, I have my business going good and wont cave in on pricing, they do and they are suffering for it.
Not really a brotherhood, unless you hate your brother.

stumper1620
03-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I do even to the pr!ck$. Most I'm on good terms with, and we have referred jobs to each other when they are out of our service area or we are to busy.
I want to grow my business, but there is generally enough to support the amount of companies in my area.
I have a few good relationships also. Getting a lot of sub work for fert and squirt. I refer out of area bids to those who work with me.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Wave,even network with them. I have gotten work from other contractors like fert,/weed control because they don't do it. I think it's good for business. Because I talk with others I hooked up with a solo who is being deployed to the middle east for 14 mo.. While he is gone I'm helping him with his accounts, so when he gets back he still has his customers. It's a win win for both of us.:usflag: :usflag:

beautifullawns
03-26-2006, 11:19 AM
I wave to see whos nice and whos stuck up. In my opinion the guys who don't wave back also have a bad rep with the other LCOs in the area that I talk to.

chriscraft
03-26-2006, 11:29 AM
i always wave its better than giving the finger some actually try and race me lol

CutInEdge Lawn Care
03-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I always wave and even stop when another LCO has stuck the ZTR in the sand or flat tire and cant get on trailer. You never know "What comes around goes around" Good Luck!!

befnme
03-26-2006, 01:22 PM
it's like cowboys and indians here .everyone wants to kill the other .lol . i have only 2 that like me .i had another until he didnt do his job and the owner called me for a bid and i got it .oh well .

Dunn's
03-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm a new member just been on a few days but ive noticed most of you are from Michigan, Florida any ideas on that

befnme
03-26-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm a new member just been on a few days but ive noticed most of you are from Michigan, Florida any ideas on that
???? what do you mean ?

stumper1620
03-26-2006, 03:13 PM
???? what do you mean ?
I'll second that!

???????????

AlleganyLawnCare
03-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Heck my competition lives next door. They are a big company. They illegally store all of their equipment in a residential zone. A couple years ago, the zoning board got involved, with them, but at the time, they only had 2 trucks with company lettering on them. So they were okay. Now, it is a completely different story.

But anyways, I always wave at them, being the "little guy" trying to be nice, but what do they do, try to run me off the road, they are rude, never wave, never once even speak to me (but yet they have no problem sending their daughters over to play with my son), they work on their equipment at all hours.

I, to be honest, am at my end. I plan on calling the zoning board this week to complain about it. I don't mind competition (even when it is literally next door), but I am tired of putting up the "big guy" mentality from these guys. Even the owners wife will try to run you off the road.... Enough is enough.

chriscraft
03-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Heck my competition lives next door. They are a big company. They illegally store all of their equipment in a residential zone. A couple years ago, the zoning board got involved, with them, but at the time, they only had 2 trucks with company lettering on them. So they were okay. Now, it is a completely different story.

But anyways, I always wave at them, being the "little guy" trying to be nice, but what do they do, try to run me off the road, they are rude, never wave, never once even speak to me (but yet they have no problem sending their daughters over to play with my son), they work on their equipment at all hours.

I, to be honest, am at my end. I plan on calling the zoning board this week to complain about it. I don't mind competition (even when it is literally next door), but I am tired of putting up the "big guy" mentality from these guys. Even the owners wife will try to run you off the road.... Enough is enough.Do uo owna building you keep your trucks trailer and eqpt in?

Joey bag a' donuts
03-26-2006, 04:43 PM
The competition is fierce around my area also, other LCO's stare you down and talk so much **** its unbelievable but to me the ones that do that just shows jealosy and envy and are usually not that good at what they do anyways...I always wave to every company I see when I'm out and tell them not to worry, as long as people have lawns its going to need to be cut.:waving:

chriscraft
03-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Im too easy going i figure just kill em with kindness, that irritates then more than getting mad at them. i tell my wife that all the time but she doesnt get it either. she runs a crew and can out work any 20 year old we hire. someone driver, employee, wahtever gets her mad ans she lets it fester like an open wound.JUST KILL EM WITH KINDNESS, letting them know that thier attitude doesnt affect your demeanor, lifestyle and day jsut makes thier day more miserable, and know that should make you happy :-)

chriscraft
03-26-2006, 04:49 PM
I have new guys in the buisiness or non legits say to me Who's your competiotion a lot. I just laugh and say i have no competition, I have my jobs i do them well and at a fair and reasonable price. This is my life and carreer and im worried about my customers not other companies. Its all you can do, and do it your best and with a good attitude, if they cant wave back souns like a personal prob to me, thiers not yours, be nice be happy , it makes the day go faster.

Runner
03-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Most of the lco's are pretty cool around here. We wave, and I wave all the time. It's easy to tell the seperation of the pros and the amateurs by this. There ARE a few select ones that are just idiots, but what is funny, is that as the years go by and you talk to more and more lco's, you find out that alot of OTHER services know of these guys and know just who the idiots are. I guess if someone shows their azz long enough, more and more people see it. As far as the helpfulness, I stop and help if I see someone down. I've helped change tires, provided tools, and things of that nature. The thing about it is, is I have had people stop for ME for alot of different stuff, too. What comes around goes around.

mike lane lawn care
03-26-2006, 05:03 PM
one of my competitions is a 7th grade teacher at my school!!!. he and my brother have an outdoor club thing that him and a bunch of students do, so he's sort of a friend, however this year he (well his wife) is having a baby, so he has to cut back and gave me a few of his accounts

qualitylawnmanagement
03-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Yup always do, it's like one big family here.

ECS
03-26-2006, 06:40 PM
I wave to all th LCOs in the area and most of them also wave. Heck I do lunc with one of them. I have taken lawns from him, but he has gotten back much work that I have given to him. We have known each other for years and get along very well. Will be working with another one this year. We are both solo and at times just need another hand for an afternoon or a day. We are looking at helping each other in that way and not worry about hiring an employee.

John Gamba
03-26-2006, 06:57 PM

Not really a brotherhood, unless you hate your brother.

:laugh::clapping: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh:

And Severely Under Bid Him :laugh: :clapping: :laugh: :clapping: :laugh:

LB Landscaping
03-26-2006, 07:11 PM
I wave to quite a few of them, then again there are a few that get the bird:cool2: .

JJLandscapes
03-26-2006, 08:13 PM
any landscaper who doesnt wave back is on my shitlist lol

99% of the landscapers here wave back... one old man took me like 6 months of waving till he finally waved back

its just common courtesty cause we make look like we are covered in dirt and **** but making more than money than 75% of the people's houses we cut and should always be in a good mood

lugnut#6
03-26-2006, 08:33 PM
yes i always :waving:

sheshovel
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Wave and smile and wave and wave my little hand off.

mak2
03-26-2006, 09:10 PM
I have not been in this buisness for very long but there is a certain level of behavior adults should exhibit. If you are not secure enough with yourself to wave and be polite to your competition you were not raised right. I wave at friends and competition alike. I dont think I have any enemies still alive, but I probably would not wave at an enemy. Other than that just act like a full grown adult. I bought one of my competitors a beer last fall (when it was raining). I learned something from him that might really pay off.

lawnboyri1
03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I get along people in my area. Always try to talk to people if I see them gassing up, at the compost station, repair shops or anywhere I go.

MysticLandscape
03-26-2006, 10:41 PM
I wave and beep. Its funny on my route every thursday last year, I would pass the same house at 4:30 PM, there was always a LCO at the house, so me and my worker jokingly beep at him, did it about three times. On the forth time he waved, and for the rest of the season we would always see each other and wave, maybe if I see him this year ill stop and talk to him.

Also BOTH of my neighboors are in the bussiness, we often help each other with maintenance and other BS. Good people to be friends with if somthing goes down I can get a truck, mower, or whatever I need.

Signature Landscaping1
03-26-2006, 10:48 PM
I have avery good relationship with another lco, Evergreen Landscaping, they let me dump my clippings in their truck, and even helped me out with my fall cleanups buy letting me use their truck vac. Nice guys

Jason Rose
03-26-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm friendly with most in my area, there are some that don't get a wave but they wouldn't wave back anyway so I'm not going to waste my time. I prefer to be on a friends basis with my "competition" I think it helps keeping everyone honest, in that I mean we don't go after each others properties and such. If someone needs some trimmer line or some tools and is working near by I'm more than happy to help. There are some guys here that work together and swap customers, I never seem to be included in those deals... I was offered a nice size storage facility (owned by another LCO) that he rents out. Of course I'd have to pay for it, but I have my stuff at home and like it that way. It's also nice to be able to chat about equipment likes and dislikes, can save one some money by knowing what to look at that someone else has had good luck with.