PDA

View Full Version : Wire question

Flow Control
03-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Here is a stupid question that will show my ignorance of the topic. I am working on a project, and i have a small sleeve to feed part of the system. The question is can I run two leads of 12/2 to the sleeve and then run a large gage wire through the sleeve that returns to two separate 12/2's?? Probably not but I thought I would ask before I bore 25'. If it is possible what gage wire would I need.

steveparrott
03-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Yes, you can do that (provided that you make good waterproofed and sealed splices at either end of the conduit.)

The gauge of wire through the conduit will depend on the load it carries.

#12/2 – recommended maximum load of 100w/8.3A, NEC maximum of 192w/16A

#10/2 – recommended maximum load of 140w/12.0A, NEC maximum of 288w/24A

Pro-Scapes
03-26-2006, 10:32 AM
I might be lost here but is the conduit so small you cant pull 2 lines through ?

You also didnt mention the loads you plan to pull on the other side of the bore. This would play a factor I assume (could be wrong)

As steve said its possible but I preffer fewer splices and less headaches later. Did you locate both ends of the conduit or are you trying to use existing wire thats under a drive ?

Im just curious in case I ever run into this situation. You definatly dont want a weak link in there tho if the wire thats there is small. Your system is only as good as the weakest component. Might be worth the bore to do it right and charge accordingly

NightScenes
03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Here is a stupid question that will show my ignorance of the topic. I am working on a project, and i have a small sleeve to feed part of the system. The question is can I run two leads of 12/2 to the sleeve and then run a large gage wire through the sleeve that returns to two separate 12/2's?? Probably not but I thought I would ask before I bore 25'. If it is possible what gage wire would I need.

If I am reading this correctly, you are running two different #12/2 wires to the driveway, then splicing them onto one larger guage wire, then splitting it again? If this is the case, and you are trying to create two different runs, it will not work.
You should be able to run 2-12/2 wires into one 1/2" conduit. I can't imagine it is smaller than that. If not, maybe you could make it one run. Use the larger guage wire to the far side of the drive, then split it onto two runs of 12/2.

YardPro
03-26-2006, 12:58 PM
use single core to get through the conduit. it is much smaller diameter, and will carry the same current as multistrand. use the single core to get through the conduit.

Flow Control
03-26-2006, 02:14 PM
specs:
Island usages 120watts total, 50ft away from transformer. 25ft bore that angles down in 1" PE pipe angles down 6' over the distance then comes back up at an angle around 60 degrees.

NightScenes
03-26-2006, 02:29 PM
I would use #10/2 wire and split it in the island. With a multi tap transformer, it would work just fine.

Pro-Scapes
03-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I think running 1 10 ga from the tap ...through the conduit and then 1 splice on the other side is what I would do too. less splices and you can up the voltage as needed if your running a good multi tap.

Were you considering running 2 wires of 12-2 in place of a single 10-2 ?

As paul described it makes much more sence to me than condensing it just to split it again.

Flow Control
03-28-2006, 04:48 PM
I would like to say thanks for all of the help and input....