PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay COOL in the summer?

Full throttle lawn care
03-26-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm trying to get a plan together to stay COOL this summer. Any tips and tricks would be great. Heres what I have going so far.
1-camel back for constant water intake.
2-Bought a sun canopy for my R,O,P,S on the john Deere. It can't be used for every job do to Orange trees and low over hanging trees but it's light fiberglass and is easy on easy off. I figure getting out of this Florida sun as much as possible will pay off.
3- Large brim hat
4- I need to get a 5gal water jug for the trailer. Anyone know where to find a mounting bracket for the jug?
:cool2:

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Looks like you have it covered.

StBalor
03-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I started wearing a white Bandana over my head 2 years ago, it really helps keep sweat out of your face. I wet it once in awhile also, really helps keep me a bit cooler. I went with the bandana because i use to wear a cap all the time, but when i am working and sweating my forehead was always getting a rash from the hat and me constantly wipeing it.

iluvscag
03-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Jungle Jim's makes a 5 gallon bracket.

lawncuttinfoo
03-26-2006, 11:14 AM
wear ear bud protection not the ear muffs.
There is a reason they have the same name as apparel used in the winter.

beautifullawns
03-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Since I live on the seacoast I try to drive by the seawall and check out the ladies tanning. With the AC on of course. Best way I found to cool down.

ECS
03-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Long sleeve shirt for starters.

Splicer
03-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Since I live on the seacoast I try to drive by the seawall and check out the ladies tanning. With the AC on of course. Best way I found to cool down.
:laugh: That would probably make me hotter:laugh:

lawnman_scott
03-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I need to get a 5gal water jug for the trailer. Anyone know where to find a mounting bracket for the jug?
:cool2:I have always thought they are overpriced. I just use bungie cords to keep them secure, and they can go just about anywehre you want to put it.

MSS Mow
03-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I have always thought they are overpriced. I just use bungie cords to keep them secure, and they can go just about anywehre you want to put it.

You can't beat a good selection of bungie cords. Very versatile. Also, keep plenty of ratchet straps handy.

befnme
03-26-2006, 01:25 PM
i also use a bandanna and i wet it every now and then .

J&R Landscaping
03-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I just keep a hat on my head, sun glasses/saftey glasses on my face and plenty of water and gatorade in the cooler on my truck.

Green-Cuts
03-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi
I ordered som of the neck and ear protection flaps from WECHAPS and they seem to do good at keeping the sun off of you. I had though of the camel packs as well, How is that working out for thoses that do use them??

BJ

jsf343
03-26-2006, 05:31 PM
This may sound dumb but it works for me, on hot days I will carry around a small towel and when I get ready to mow I soak that puppy in ice water from the cooler and drape it over my shoulders and even my head for small amounts of time. works great, keeps you cool and fresh! (sounds like some kind of commercial) I also do many of the other things people have mentioned here and everyone of them is good and works! Biggest one of all though..... stay HYDRATED. Jeff

nephilim0167
03-26-2006, 07:03 PM
One main point to keep cool on your body is your NECK. I have found that putting a wet banada folded & tied around your neck really keeps you cool. Then of course the obvious: Hat, Sunglasses (they at least keep the sun out of your eyes which can be just as bad as the heat), and believe it or not long sleeve shirts/pants. Cotton works best because it allows your skin to breathe, but do keep the sleeves on your shirt down. Also no matter what you must HYDRATE! If you're not drinking a gallon of water a day you are not drinking enough! Stay cool out there guys, it's warming up. We were at 90 today here in Mesa AZ.