PDA

View Full Version : DOT in Maine

LB Landscaping
03-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey Mainers just a heads up for the upcoming season. Once again the DOT will be targeting landscapers especially while hauling trailers. A buddy of mine that is a builder got pulled over this week and they found $850 worth of violiations. They really went through the truck/trailer almost an hour and both truck/trailer are only about 2 years old. Trooper told him that they have dedicated an officer to the Greater Portland. The big thing they are looking for is trailer inspection stickers, if your'e truck is registered commercial you MUST have an inspection sticker on the trailer. Good luck and stay safe!!!!

MJM landscaping
03-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Good point, I got pulled over in Gorham last year with a F-250 and a 6 x 10 dump trailer. empty. He checked regs., stickers, and made sure I had a brake controller.

LB Landscaping
03-27-2006, 07:13 PM
FYI, Rt 202 Trailer Sales will sticker them, dropped mine off today.

selnoil
04-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey LB whats happening?? DOT was out here in Cape yesterday just driving around checking everyone out. I was way up in a private road, don't know even how he saw me and came up just to check and see if my trailer was inspected (I was hoping he'd check me out since I just had everything inspected). Never looked at or checked anything else :confused: . He pinched a bunch of guy out here though from what I've heard :cry: . For all you Maine guys reading, FYI there is a DOT inspector assigned to only run the Greater Portland area this summer and the target is us LC guys. Heard that from a local Senator on the transportation committee. Good Luck and don't get caught.:waving:

LB Landscaping
04-21-2006, 06:41 AM
I got pulled over last week, was on the side of thew road for an hour. The Trooper was a really nice guy (for once). Said they are checking to make sure trailer brakes are operational and that trailers are inspected. I just had mine inspected 2 weeks ago, so he said he was just going to do a quick inspection. When he pulled the pin on my traler brakes the caught on fire, really wierd but he said its the second time in a week it has happened to him :dizzy: . One thing he said I should have is reflective triangles or road flares, cones do not count. No ticket, but he did tag my trailer out of service for the brake problem. I was down the street from Handyman rental and he let me drive it there so they could fix it. So make sure you have a brake controler that works and an inspection sticker on your trailer.

Ron's Lawncare
04-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Also remember your truck needs to be registered for the combined weight of the truck and trailer. also if it's over 10000 lbs you need a commercial inspection sticker on the truck. you are also required to carry 3 reflective triangles and a fire extinguisher.

Ron