PDA

View Full Version : What grows under pine trees?

ripple
03-26-2006, 06:13 PM
What is good to plant under huge (30') pine trees? Grass will not grow...Mulch looks like crap because it always has pine bows and needles in it....
Maybe creeping juniper or will Rododenrians grow under pine trees?
Please advise if you have any suggestions!

Xterminator
03-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Azaleas Love the Acid

ripple
03-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Azaleas Love the Acid
Good point....there is one and it is healthy....its just a huge area 15X30 and it needs more...

chriscraft
03-26-2006, 06:27 PM
any acidic loving, shade loving plant, You can however grow grass under pines tho yo uhave to prep right use right seed and neautrilize the soil . I have a big rennovation job this week and wil be seeding under pines get the ph to 7,0 use the right seeds it works, but you need to regulary annually over seed those areas also

PSUturf
03-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Use pine needle mulch under a pine tree. The pine tree will refresh the mulch on its own. Shrubs or perennials under any tree will need more water than if they were out in the open since they are competing with an established tree for soil moisture.

KyTurf
03-29-2006, 04:21 AM
all junipers need full sun creeping junipers is a bad choice

Coffeecraver
03-29-2006, 05:42 AM
Use pine needle mulch under a pine tree. The pine tree will refresh the mulch on its own. Shrubs or perennials under any tree will need more water than if they were out in the open since they are competing with an established tree for soil moisture.

This is the best answer
:)

Kilroy
03-29-2006, 06:07 AM
If you're looking for some type of ground cover, I've had great success with euonymus. Thrives in the shade. Stays green year round. Pine needles don't affect it.

AL Inc
03-29-2006, 06:58 AM
You might want to try liriope. It is a shade loving grassy type perrenial that will grow almost anywhere. I remember when I was going for my hort degree, periodically we would work in the gardens at the college, and there was a really healthy patch of liriope growing under a large pine tree. The only maintenance was taking a lawn mower to it in the spring.

ripple
03-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the replies....I will let you all know how it turns out...

bdoss123
03-30-2006, 07:44 PM
I have been wondering the same thing, as I just moved to a house that has 6 or 7 large pines in the front yard (the road side of the home). I have been debating clearing that area to make a front yard and then planting trees on the road line or trying to find a shade lover to co-exist with the trees.
Any opinions?

- BD

ripple
03-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Well I have finished the job and it looks good now...I will get pics after the grass starts to grow. So...since you asked...I planted Azaleas and rhododendrians. Thanks for all the help...
And where the grass is I put in new top soil and spread Shade grass seed...I hope it grows...

Sushiman
03-31-2006, 09:58 PM
I would suggest mulching with pine needles. You get great coverage, great for the plants you planted, and of course, it is under pine trees.

ripple
04-01-2006, 10:05 PM
I would suggest mulching with pine needles. You get great coverage, great for the plants you planted, and of course, it is under pine trees.
Trying NOT to have acid soil anymore...constant battle against the acid and shade.
And we dont have pine needle mulch in my area!

bdoss123
04-02-2006, 12:56 AM
That's where I'm stuck right now -- trying to figure out if I want to deal with the pines trees and the needles they drop, or if it would be worth it in the long run to clear and start fresh. That would allow me to have a full yard whereas i I keep the pines I'll prolly need to opt for ground cover or a mulched planting bed.

BD

YardPro
04-02-2006, 09:18 AM
That's where I'm stuck right now -- trying to figure out if I want to deal with the pines trees and the needles they drop, or if it would be worth it in the long run to clear and start fresh. That would allow me to have a full yard whereas i I keep the pines I'll prolly need to opt for ground cover or a mulched planting bed.

BD

it will be very expensive to remove them and thier roots.
if you have a lot of pines, then make sure to use pine straw for mulch. it is plentiful and cheap where you are.

if you do plant azaelia's under the trees, make sure they get plenty of water. they will be competing with the tree for water, and the tree will win if it is left to mother nature.

bdoss123
04-03-2006, 11:57 AM
any acidic loving, shade loving plant, You can however grow grass under pines tho yo uhave to prep right use right seed and neautrilize the soil . I have a big rennovation job this week and wil be seeding under pines get the ph to 7,0 use the right seeds it works, but you need to regulary annually over seed those areas also

This is what I'd like to do, keep the pines and go with grass. Can you point me in the direction of more detailed steps on the type of seed that I would need?

Thanks,
BD

PS: I've got two azelas (sp?) growing under the cluster of 3 large pines that is right in the middle of the front yard, so I was thinking that I would be able to make the immediate area w/ the azelas a planter/box and then do grass for the rest of the front yard, which also has pines in it.