PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tools??

FIREMAN Q
03-26-2006, 05:44 PM
I thought i would ask the pro's what hand tools they use. ie shovels, rakes, etc...

There are so many brands out there and i want to get the good stuff the first time around.

ed2hess
03-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Then get the Sears life time warranty stuff...yellow plastic handles in most things like pick, shovel, etc. Then be prepared to protect them from thieves. We get mostly the cheap stuff....

chriscraft
03-26-2006, 07:42 PM
none if i can help it, but we have upon ocassion used rakes, brooms, shovels . dustpans but try to steer away unless doing a landscape project, we jsut got back form shopping (300.00) for 2 rakes,1 12" rake,1 transplanting hand shovels, 2 large hand shovels, 2 hand pruners with leathe pouch, 10 tine fork for mulch,and 2 hand claws. BYTHE WAY, Lowes has some sweet lil canvas heavy duty vinly tool bags for like 11.99 a pair, theu are perfect to hold our pruners, work tunes 3 hand shovels and a claw, and knee pads (we pray a lot)

Runner
03-26-2006, 08:14 PM
we use such names as Ames, Union, Fiskars, as well as a host of others. I've never used th Craftsman, but several on here have, and have told the stories of being able to return them when they are worn out. That makes great sense.

lawnboyri1
03-26-2006, 08:53 PM
I like to use any hand tool with a white ash handle. Craptsman, Kodiak by True Temper and Rugg are what I use

jmurphy
03-26-2006, 08:55 PM
I use Razorback Fiberglass handled tools. :weightlifter:

Full throttle lawn care
03-26-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm a home depot shopper when it comes to the shovels and rakes and stuff. They seen to have a decent selection but be prepared to stand in line for 30min to cash out.:cool2:

sheshovel
03-26-2006, 10:09 PM
I tend to buy my tools at yard sales so I can get the good old made in the USA tools.Tempered Steel.Most old men take exellent care of their tools and I have bought hand tools from them you just cant find anymore.I am not saying this is what you should do
but always keep your eye out for older tools at estate and yard sales.Flat shovels,spades,axes,polaski's,and
hard rakes.I break the plastic handled ones,they split exetera on me..don't know my own strenght I guess.
For my pruneing tools I use Fiskars and Felco.

topsites
03-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm a home depot shopper when it comes to the shovels and rakes and stuff. They seen to have a decent selection but be prepared to stand in line for 30min to cash out.:cool2:

Me, too!! I find you can check out through the garden section sometimes it's faster (especially when it's colder outside) but of course on those days they're not always open.

I found a 14-inch stiff-tine garden rake for 5 dollars which works pretty decent, I also picked up a Landscaping Rake (30 dollars), both of these are used for spreading mulch and topsoil.

A wheelbarrow !!! This 50-60 dollar device has been the absolute most-used, best investment I ever made, nothing beats this thing. I got the 6 cu. foot one-wheel hard plastic bucket model and paid the extra 10 bucks to get the pre-assembled one (it's worth not having to put it together but you do have to re-tighten stuff).

Definitely get a 10-tine pitchfork for mulch, it's also good for leaves and to some extent brush. It's a short, stubby thing with TWICE the tines of a regular pitchfork, and it loads a lot more per fork. This I couldn't find at Home Depot, and it cost 30 or 50 dollars, some models as high as 80 bucks lol, but it is worth every penny.

A leaf rake. I like the razorback 10-dollar red handle model from Home Depot.
It's small but strong and lasts me about 1-2 years full-tilt.

Shovels: Craftsman but definitely get at least one flat-end and one round-end.

Loppers (or lopers) - Great stuff, cut off twigs and branches at ground level, saves time and hassle when cutting grass and crap get in your face, lop it off. Cost about 25-30 for some decent-handled ones.

A pole-pruner: Great for cutting high-up branches, reaches 10-12 feet into the air easy, up to 18 feet total or so. 15-30 dollars, depending.

A breaker bar (for lack of better words). This is a 5 or 6-foot heavy steel pole or rod about 3/4 inch thick costs about 25 dollars or so, I got mine from Northern - great for wedging / lifting heavy-duty stuff, also you can pound roots with it.

Chain and padlock (to lock your stuff up). Dunno how much, but not cheap.

Tarps!!! Get the dernier or cordura (a tough cloth), do not get a plastic one.
6x8 or 8x10 is great for personal use, I bought several because I use it to cover my equipment as well (from rain and sight). Great for hauling piles of crap.

Save about 100 dollars for a decent floor jack (the kind on wheels). The jack can wait, but you'll need it eventually as it saves a lot of money to repair your own truck and car(s). Also if something gets stuck under the trailer lol.

FIREMAN Q
03-27-2006, 09:46 PM
thanks for all the great advice. I went out today and got some tools from the depot. i guess i will see if i made the right choice or not. time will tell.

thanks again Q