PDA

View Full Version : Quanzan Cherry Trees

1MajorTom
05-01-2001, 10:41 PM
Although we are not really heavy into mulching, we do some for a local school district. They now have called again this season and want more mulch laid down, and also they want two quanzan cherry trees planted.

We came right out and told them we normally do not plant trees, but they still wanted us to bid on it.

The local nursery five minutes from the school is charging $79.00 for one 8 foot tree.
How much we would any of you experienced landscapers charge to plant those two trees? On the bid I included the clause that the trees will carry a one year warranty not including labor.

Let me last say that the bid was sent in last night. We bid purchasing the two trees along with planting and staking them at $458.00. This of course does not include our mulch bid where we up the profit some.

Was this a good bid?

steveair
05-02-2001, 12:32 AM
hello,

Price sounds about right, but the trees sound a little small. Not sure of what you mean by '8 ft tree'. You should spec out trees for such a project by caliber size, not height.

Only reason is that you may get there with the trees and they may say 'what the heck are those sticks' I would think something in the 2-2.5 inch caliper would be the mininum to plant, unless they specifically asked for such small material.

In my area, kwanzan cherries are around $110 for a 2.00" caliper, which I consider as the smallest I would plant.

steveair

1MajorTom
05-02-2001, 12:54 AM
Steveair,

Thank you very much for your response.
We will be the first to admit that we don't know anything about trees.

We don't feel guilty for placing this bid though because we were asked to place it. We did not go looking for this type of work. But one can never tell how the rain will be this summer, so it's better to try and get extra work while it's available.

The lady from the school said they wanted a 7 ft tree. That's all she said, and not knowing, that's what we went off of. The nursery didn't mention anything about caliper, they just said they had 8 ft trees.

Thanks for telling me about going off of caliper, not height. I appreciate it.

Lanelle
05-02-2001, 02:03 AM
Generally, when ornamental trees are sold by height, they are smaller, younger trees than those sold by caliper size. Another example of getting what you pay for.