PDA

View Full Version : chevy 3500 or ford f-450

ted5487
03-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Looking at these two trucks to install a 12 foot flatbed on. Truck number one is a 1993 Chevrolet 2wd, automatic, 68k original miles, same owner last 5 years with records, very meticulous. Truck number two is a 1999 Ford F-450, automatic, 2wd, 170k miles, no records, it is at a dealer. Both trucks run fine and are within a couple hundred dollars of each other, the Chevy being the more expensive one. Any thoughts, I only plan on transporting my mowing equipment on the flatbed, I usually only carry 1300 pounds, and would never go over 2000. Gas mileage is not a big concern as I put less than 8000 a year on my mowing rig. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MysticLandscape
03-26-2006, 09:16 PM
What the 450 a gas or diesel, if its diesel i would say go with the Diesel cause its that much new and those miles are high for the 7.3L. Thats my opinon but keep in mind im just a highschool kid. :rolleyes:

wushaw
03-26-2006, 09:20 PM
The F450 would be a harsh riding truck due to the springs and 19.5 commercial tires. If you are not hauling HEAVY loads then the 3500 would be the best choice.
Test drive both and see which one your kidneys like.

ted5487
03-26-2006, 09:27 PM
V10, sorry about that

ted5487
03-26-2006, 09:28 PM
and the Chevy is the 5.7 V8

UNISCAPER
03-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Of the two I don't understand why a 1999 is a similar price as a 1993. The 450 will carry more, has better brakes and a stronger frame but a disgusting trasnmission. The 3500 will carry less, has arguably the worst brakes ever put in a truck (if you get 15000 miles out of the fronts you're lucky) but has a stronger tranny. So it's about what you are looking to do. And about how much can you afford to keep fixing. The brakes are more of an anoyance. If the tranny goes plan on 2K.
your call. How much is your time worth?

ted5487
03-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the brake info Bill, when you say the worst brakes, does that also effect the stopping distance? And you also seem to know transmissions, do you know which one would be in this truck? At one time I had an older GMC that had I think a turbo 400 3 speed which I was very happy with. I tried to look up which one this 93 had, maybe a 4 speed overdrive? 4860L, forgive me if I have that model designation wrong.

Madstriper
03-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Being a Ford guy, I first was thinking go with the F450, but with the gas burner having that many miles on it, I think I would go with with Chevy. Man it hurts to say that. Either truck with easily tote your load, the ford will ride rougher(is that a word?), tires more expensive as well. I do like the look of the Super Duty( I have one), just not sure how many more miles you can get out of that V10.
Good luck.

ted5487
03-26-2006, 11:38 PM
thanks Madstriper, I am leaning toward the Chevy. I do agree that the Ford is good looking, and it is white, the Chevy is blue. I'm so indecisive, I think I'm 51/49 in favor of the Chevy, but that may change. Do you know how much money tires are for the F450, a lot of people mention that the tires are expensive. the tires looked pretty new that were on both. Thanks again.

TerraVenture
03-27-2006, 05:54 AM
the tires on the 450 will run you somewhere between 275 and 300 a piece. Of course that is what I paid. I have a 2004 f550 4wd diesel. As for riding rough, i guess i am biased because I on one but I would prefer the 450. If you are looking for a truck to ride more like a car than the 300 is for you if you want a truck then get the 450.

Travel'n Trees
03-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Ford over rates a lot of their trucks and the super duties are definetly overrated I just got rid of my f550 what a joke rhode like crap, and hauled less payload than my 2500HD.

UNISCAPER
03-27-2006, 09:33 AM
I was getting 19.5's for the 450's for $187.00 each at a dedicated truck tire facility. You need to find a place that sells only truck tires. Places like Disount Tire are great for cars, but their truck tires are off the scale expensive for whatever reason.

As far as brakes on the Chevy, in 1988, GM installed the illustrious Bendix anti lock pieces of crap on their light trucks. It was typical to go through 5 sets of front pads to one rear set of shoes. Part of the problem is the pulsemaker for the antilock system. In my opion, antilock brakes should never have been installed on any car let alone a truck. If a person needs them to drive their car, they have too much car for their ability.

The 3500 will stop fine, but you will experience brake fade quite often. It is one of those things that you would want to keep on your service list, like every other oil change, yank off the front wheels (you should be doing that when you rotate tires anyway) and check brake pad thickness.

The other thing you will experience is warped rotors. It won't be so bad with all you are carrying, but if you head down hill and have to hit the hooks really hard, it very well could happen. The tranny in that truck would most likely be the L80E, much stronger than the E4OD in the Ford.

I honestly would say if the Ford had less milage on it, to get that even though their biggest problem is the transmission. I seeing the guys running pick up trucks getting lots more out of them than the 450-550, but that tranny should go in a Mustang not a work truck. The Ford is newer, heavier, has better brakes, and with the light load you are carrying, the tranny would probably be OK as long as you did not have to back up hills under heavy load. That's a Ford truck trannies biggest weakness.

The Chevy with less miles is less likely to give you trouble, other than those brakes. The 350 cubic inch engine can easily get 200K if you change oil regularly, I got almost 500K out of one in a '94 4x4 but it was probably a fluke.

Either way, I would rather see you in something newer, but you know your budget better than I.

Gravel Rat
03-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Your comparing apples to oranges basically a F-450 has a payload of 8000lbs a 3500 Chev will have a payload of max 5000lbs. You will definatly notice the ride difference between a 3500 Chev to a F450 the 450 has leaf springs all 4 corners the chev has A arm front suspension (car like ride).

As for the 450 riding rough I drive one for a daily driver my current one is a 95 it rides the same as my 89 F-450 did and the same with my 88 F-450. The F-450 rides better than my 80 F-350 I had all the same wheelbase 161.

The 19.5 tires are a little pricey but they last so much longer than 16" rubber I will only get 12,000 miles out of a set of steers (16") on my 450s the trucks with 19.5 easily double that.

I personally wouldn't buy any truck with a automatic I would rather shift I live in a rural area so 90% of the time you just shift from 4th to 5th and back once your up and rolling.

What price range are you looking at a decent F-450 V-10 Powered truck here goes for minimum 20,000 dollars.

ted5487
03-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, I learned a lot from all of you. I purchased the Ford this morning. What sealed the deal was I was able to contact the previous owner. He was more than happy to tell me about the truck. He told me that 5000 miles ago he replaced the transmission with a new one, not a rebuilt or junkyard one. He used the truck to haul concrete forms and was generally quite happy with the truck. Always maintained it, oil changes on time, etc. He just decided to trade it in. Now I just have to get to work building a custom dovetail/gate for the back. Well , thanks again guys, I look forward to posting here again in the near future for advice on building the gate.