PDA

View Full Version : Ya ever got chased or bitten by a dog?

Freddy_Kruger
03-27-2006, 02:15 AM
I imagine a lawn mower would scare them, just can't leave the gate open.
http://members.aol.com/cenohsheltieresc/images/vicious%20dog%207-8-03.jpg

StBalor
03-27-2006, 06:48 AM
I use to do a lawn where the owner was sometimes away and her dog was left out. I could only fit a 21" mower in her fenced area. What i would do is every time it would charge me like it was gonna attack i would push down on the handle to lift the front wheels to show him them blades, he would quickly turn back. The homeowner even said 1 time, I don't know how you get my back yard cut, my dog does not like anyone.

nephilim0167
03-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Never been bit or chased, but you can bet your bottom dollar if it's me vs. a dog I'm gonna win ;)

2 clowns mowing
03-27-2006, 07:21 AM
when i was going door to door hanging bags on door knobs. i went up to this house and saw a beware of dog sign, i dropped the bag at door and didn't see any dogs. i turned around and the garage door was open and saw a bed mattress eaten up started to walk quietly away almost got to the end of the drive when i heard a growl looked back and wow! this was a big dog headed right toward me. i started to run backwards and the dog fence kicked in at the last moment and stopped that dog in it's tracks that was close

lawnmaniac883
03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Just started a new property three weeks ago, lady had two BIIG and I mean BIG german shepards out back...lucky for me they werent fierce. Kinda scary when you see two 100lb dogs nosing around and barking at ya.

Freddy_Kruger
03-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Last Fall I was cleaning windows and I was up a ladder between two houses, HUGE German Sheppard came running at me with the owners yelling at it to come back. Good thing I was on a ladder.

Another time I went to collect from a customer and I brought my dog and went up to the front door and a german sheppard (that same german sheppard; I got them as customers) so at the front screen door the sheppard freaked and the screen door popped open but the owner yelled at it. Then the owner said her dog why are you barking you know him, then she seen my dog.

mike lane lawn care
03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
my neighbor has a young but huge dog. the dog is "all bark and no bite" pun intended! he always comes onto my property when i start up the mowers and barks, last week i had enough. he came over as i started my broadmoor and i just chased him back onto his property, and he hasn't been around when i'm using the mowers since then

J&R Landscaping
03-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I had a customer last season that had a german shepard that was often left out in the back yard. The customer told me the dog was not that friendly but I never had any problems! I have had many dogs, both big and small and I get along with most any type of dog that I have run in to.

Just in case though, I have my steel toe boots on and I also carry a pocket knife with me so should I face a robber, skunk, dog what ever, I am ready to hold my ground!!!!

sheshovel
03-27-2006, 08:08 PM
You just go ahead and go after a skunk with your boot or knife and see what happens@!!!!!

CC Lawncare
03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
You just go ahead and go after a skunk with your boot or knife and see what happens@!!!!!
That would be something to see:laugh:

CC Lawncare
03-27-2006, 08:37 PM
If the customer is home, we ask them to put the dog elsewhere. If they are away, we just keep mowing. I have yet to have them actually come up on the machines but I have had some trouble when it came to the line-trimming. If I think they are a serious threat, I reach the line head toward their butt to give them a sting. (if anybody else tries this, DO NOT rev it up! You just need to go past idle speed to make them rethink things through). I also then call the customer and explain that we need to have safe working conditions in the future. Never had a reoccurance.

stroker51
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I had a cousin skin a skunk one time:hammerhead: As far as dogs, we had a yard about 2 years ago, and the lady had a black lab, who by himself was the friendliest dog you could ever want to meet, but the boxer that came with him outside most of the time, that was a different story. I was mowing with the 21 in there on time, and they were both harassing me, i had finally had enough, and i was like ok, i am tower over these dogs and outweigh them by about 125 lbs, and at this time i was in conditioning every morning for football, so i was pretty muscular, i though if i can bench press 325lbs, i can take this dog, so i just puffed myself up real big and growled at them, that was all it took, never bothered me again. Probably wasnt a real good idea looking back on it, but hey, it worked, and my partner wasnt very far away with his Kershaw knife.

elshauno
03-27-2006, 10:03 PM
I used to work as a meter reader for Dayton Power and light. Ive never been bit but I had several close calls. Once I hopped a fence to read the meter and 10 feet from me a chow jumped out from the doggy door looked at me and took off running in my direction. I dove over the fence head first inches ahead of the dog. One other time a boxer ran at me so I jammed the meter reader scanner roughly the size of a brick in the dogs mouth. Right after that the dogs owner came out and brought the dog in. Needless to say I wasn't a meter reader for much longer afterwards. Especially since they scheduled a lot of my routes in the rough part of town with Pitbulls galore everywhere. Ya I dont want to mess with a pitbull.

elmo1537
03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I once had a dog that was tied to a tree in the neighbors lawn we were mowing. Unfortunately the chain was long enough to reach into the lawn we were mowing. Needless to say I must have scared it or something because it jumped at me. Fortunately it got the rear tire on my z and not my leg. 1 tire and a very short talk with the neighbor the dog is gone and i haven't had a problem since.

Freddy_Kruger
03-27-2006, 11:40 PM
If the customer is home, we ask them to put the dog elsewhere. If they are away, we just keep mowing. I have yet to have them actually come up on the machines but I have had some trouble when it came to the line-trimming. If I think they are a serious threat, I reach the line head toward their butt to give them a sting. (if anybody else tries this, DO NOT rev it up! You just need to go past idle speed to make them rethink things through). I also then call the customer and explain that we need to have safe working conditions in the future. Never had a reoccurance.
Don't do that unless your life is in danger. My bud got attacked by a rabbit and a string trimmer cut the rabbits leg off. (He was trimming along a deck and spooked out a rabbit, it ran into the trimmer buddy had to stomp on teh rabbit to put itout of its misery). You could cut the tail off a dog.

CAG
03-28-2006, 01:11 AM
i had a pitbull that use to chase us around the yard but it would just bark at us..the lady said don't worry "my baby would never bite anyone" well he went to bite me once so i gave him a punch in the top of the head and for the next two years that we had the account it left us completely alone.. i still never took my eyes off it and i never trust any animals no matter what their owners say!!! so many people don't realize how dangerous some animals can be... just like the mother that has a son that's a murderer, he's still her little baby..lol

Brendan Smith
03-28-2006, 11:22 AM
i have only ever met one dog that i couldn't reach an understanding with. it was a neighborhood dog, doberman, in my yard. no matter what, he wouldn't back down. i have 2 kids, 5 and 2, who are always outside, so he met mr. 9mm. into the trailer he went, final resting place was the side of the road down the street. no harm, no foul.

Cracker Station
03-28-2006, 07:55 PM
I was cutting a privacy fenced back yard and this huge dog kept running up and down the fence line trying to get to me. There was a broke board on the fence where he could stick his head in and was trying desparetely to get to me. I kept running the Z close to the fence trying to scare him away, but that did not work. When I got the weedeater out and started with it, He stuck that huge bony head thru the broke board in the fence at the right time. Needless to say, with a few smacks of the weedeater line, he thought it was o.k. for me to proceed without him!!!!!!

eight1seven
03-28-2006, 11:03 PM
I remember back then i almost got bitten, this dog was* mean as hell he will bite my 21 in mower wheel once i stepped in the back yard this one time he got a hold of my pants i turned with the string trimmer and got him on the nose lol now he sees me coming and doesnt ever bark

MSS Mow
03-28-2006, 11:27 PM
I had a dog try to bite me several times (same day) while I was trimming. I have five lawns close together so I park in 1 spot and go from there. Well, this one dog, a mutt, about the same size of a black lab decided to sneak up on me. He had been abused years ago and so was now ugly towards men especially. The best part is that his new owner is the town dog warden and he lets the dog run loose all the time. The town has a leash law that he forces other to obey. I had even asked him to tie the dog when I was around mowing and he refuses.

So, this one day, I was trimming next door and the dog scared the living crap out of me :headphones: by trying to attack from behind.:nono: Luckily I saw him at the last second and I attacked back with my weed wacker. Needless to say, he backed off when he saw that string nearing his precious little nose.

Later that day, I saw the owner (dog warden) and told him that his dog tried to bite me and that he had better start tying him or else the dog was going to disappear. He had the audacity to deny that his dog would EVER try to bite anyone, and IF he did, it HAD to be my fault. :realmad: I told him to ****off.

I like to think that what goes around, comes around because a few weeks later, while mowing the same lawn next door, apparently my mower shot a rock right through his entry door window to his brand new house. :laugh: I of course denied it and said it must have been some kids playing in the neighborhood. He never did push the issue. I think he knew better than to mess with me. His wife now mows the lawn next door for free (it's a church). I was only charging $15.00 per time (took 30 minutes) but they said they couldn't afford it. Sorry, I'm not in this for charity or my good looks. payup

oasislawns
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
I was trimming hedges today for a woman and her dog bit me and my worker. My worker tried to pick up a tennis ball by the dog and the dog bit him on the thigh. Not too bad but it did bleed a little. Then a little later, I bent over to move some toys out of the way and the dog came up behind me and put two nice deep gashes in my calf muscle. It was pretty painful and is still oosing fluids and blood. It happened about 6 hours ago. I was pretty mad and if the dog ever comes near me again I will get my revenge. From now on, when I go back to that house the dog will be put up or else..........

scagwildcat
03-29-2006, 08:07 AM
i had a client that had two doberman, one was freindly and the other was really bad, they both looked the same to me, every time i would pull up to the house, i noticed the front door open, the owner let the atack dog out, i spoke to them about it, and they told me that the dog just wanted to see me!!! and that it would never bite !!! well , i was mowing one day (always looking over my shoulders) and i went to turn the machine around and felt a nice pinch on my @ss, it was the dog.... so i gave it a good kick, it ran away, i get done with the day and i go home, i get a call from them asking why their dog was hurt, i told them why, they said that the dog would never do such a thing, so i went over to the house, they kept rambling on about how they were going to sue me for hurting the dog, so i couldnt take it anymore, all i wanted they to do is pls keep the dog in the house you know when i come to mow, same time same day every week, no big deal, they didnt want to hear it, so, i pulled down my pants and mooned the people and said well if you want to sue me thats fine, but as you can see by the teeth marks on my @ss, im going to the hospital to get it checked out, and then going the my lawyer with my hospital bill, and a picture of the bite marks...... that shut them up real quick....
come to find out, i was telling this story to another lco, and he told me that he serviced the same property a few years ago, and that they go through two companies a year because of the dogs, he told me that i should have paid attention to the windows in the house, i guess these people found it funny watching their dog chase people, he saw them laughing one day as the dog ran after him.........

MSS Mow
03-29-2006, 08:55 AM
i had a client that had two doberman, one was freindly and the other was really bad, they both looked the same to me, every time i would pull up to the house, i noticed the front door open, the owner let the atack dog out, i spoke to them about it, and they told me that the dog just wanted to see me!!! and that it would never bite !!! well , i was mowing one day (always looking over my shoulders) and i went to turn the machine around and felt a nice pinch on my @ss, it was the dog.... so i gave it a good kick, it ran away, i get done with the day and i go home, i get a call from them asking why their dog was hurt, i told them why, they said that the dog would never do such a thing, so i went over to the house, they kept rambling on about how they were going to sue me for hurting the dog, so i couldnt take it anymore, all i wanted they to do is pls keep the dog in the house you know when i come to mow, same time same day every week, no big deal, they didnt want to hear it, so, i pulled down my pants and mooned the people and said well if you want to sue me thats fine, but as you can see by the teeth marks on my @ss, im going to the hospital to get it checked out, and then going the my lawyer with my hospital bill, and a picture of the bite marks...... that shut them up real quick....
come to find out, i was telling this story to another lco, and he told me that he serviced the same property a few years ago, and that they go through two companies a year because of the dogs, he told me that i should have paid attention to the windows in the house, i guess these people found it funny watching their dog chase people, he saw them laughing one day as the dog ran after him.........

Makes you want to bring a shot gun to work with you. I think you could mount one right on your mower without too much trouble. It would be self defense, right?? :gunsfirin

Freddy_Kruger
03-29-2006, 09:52 AM
I was trimming hedges today for a woman and her dog bit me and my worker. My worker tried to pick up a tennis ball by the dog and the dog bit him on the thigh. Not too bad but it did bleed a little. Then a little later, I bent over to move some toys out of the way and the dog came up behind me and put two nice deep gashes in my calf muscle. It was pretty painful and is still oosing fluids and blood. It happened about 6 hours ago. I was pretty mad and if the dog ever comes near me again I will get my revenge. From now on, when I go back to that house the dog will be put up or else..........
I would have cut that dogs ear off then bit the owner myself. Seriously you're in the states? wouldn't they worry about law suites? you better have gotten medical attention dog bites can get real nasty infection wise.

oasislawns
03-29-2006, 08:31 PM
I went today and got a tetinus shot and antibiotics for the bite. The health dept. will be paying the customer a visit to make sure the dog doesn't have rabies. I hope to keep her as a customer so I called to warn her they would be coming and ended up leaving her a message. There is still a lot of work to be done there so I hope to hear back from her.

jlohouston
03-31-2006, 02:44 PM
some pepper spray always works....

GStover
03-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Last season I was about to start one of my lawns in a less than nice neighborhood if you know what I mean, and the local mail carrier warned me about a rot mix that had gotten out of his yard and was running around terrorizing anyone it could. Anyway, I said ok and thanks for the heads-up on the dog, and went on about my business. I started on the clients backyard, and got this funny feeling, turned around and the rot was actually sneaking up on me from behind. I was using one of my 21's and the dog actually charged the mower and grabbed the front tire...not once but several times. I couldn't believe it...the dog was actually attacking my mower. Every time I tried to back my way out of the yard, it would attack.

Somehow, during all of this, the mower died and the dog stopped attacking. I backed my way out of the yard and closed the gate, and then called animal control. I had a Chihuahua that would try and attack the mower, but this was a first for me that a dog would actually physically try and maul a mower LOL. Needless to say, I was glad it was the mower he was after and not me.

On a side note, the mail carrier was bitten a couple of years ago in the calf...he's $15,000 richer...

FinerCutslawnCare
03-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeap, all the time at this one account, these people don't have a fence and of course can't tie up there dog, so when ever i get the mower out it is like a signal for that little bal of furr just to come running across the street and start barking at me....!

J&L-lawncare
04-02-2006, 06:08 PM
If the dog is out I don't cut - I aint got time to be worring bout no dogs!

trent515
04-02-2006, 08:25 PM
amen to that....I was doing a one-time mow today for an "emergency" for this lady who calls at 9 on sat night wanting her yard mowed this morning. When I got there, I asked if she had dogs in her backyard, and she said she did, so I told her that she would have to move them before I started. Well, all went well until I went to give her the invoice, and while she was writing out her check, one of the dogs that didn't bite put a nice knick in my pants and bite mark on my lower calf....Needless to say, I won't be going there for more "emergencies" anymore

BCF
04-02-2006, 08:52 PM
I was at a job putting up a fence about 5 years ago, with these two dogs, very similar to greyhounds. Well I was letting the one of them sniff my hands out so I could pet it, when all of a sudden it freaked out, bit my forearm, which sent me running, but luckily the other dog held it back. Hurt like hell, now I always carry my hammer with me.

POPO4995
04-02-2006, 11:47 PM
I was delivering flyers about 3 weeks ago and put one on a door and heard this wierd noise and thought to myself, " I hope thats not a dog." Well, here comes the big mongaloid. You can believe my narrow @&% was running at about Mach 90!