PDA

View Full Version : Toro Dingo

emil35
03-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Anyone in here do alot of work with a TORO Dingo? I'm thinking of buying one and getting into it over the lawn care but am worried about not making enough, but then again, since there arent a whole lot of people doing just mini skid steer work, maybe I'll make alot...any input? Thanks

extoro
03-27-2006, 11:56 AM
It's an excellent piece of equipment. It's small size is a double edge sword - on the one hand you don't need to buy a heavy heavy trailer to carry it, it can get into much tighter places, doesn't do nearly as much ground damage. On the other hand it is limited its capacities, and speed. There is a nitch for I'm just not sure if it is a piece of equipment you'd use everyday

topsites
03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Inside the specialized range of light-weight applications it was designed for, it does rule. It's awesomeness is outweighed some, thou...

The reason you don't see many dingos is because a new one costs 30 thousand dollars (the cheap one) ... Most of the accessories (auger, hoe, etc) cost another thousand or more, each.

It is so light that unfortunately, there are some things it just can't do.

I would say you're not the only one dreaming of owning one, but I dare say the price and limited range of apps holds most of us back.
If I were sure I could find my niche with it, I'd have three of them easy :)

p.s.: If it's skidsteer work you're interested in, consider getting a small tractor. It's not as maneuverable, but you can get a slightly used small tractor for as little as 6 thousand (in pretty decent shape). Of course, you'd need a double-axle trailer for most of them.

Gilla Gorilla
03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
The Dingos do not cost $30k for just the machine. My 2005 TX420 tracked dingo cost $15,100 with the light materials bucket. Then start adding on the price for the attachments, if it is hydrolically operated then expect to pay at LEAST $2,000 for that attachment.

SOMM
03-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Rent your Dingo instead for starters, like we do to this day!

Gilla Gorilla
03-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Somm

If you were to buy a Dingo or any other mini skid for that matter you would find yourself using it everyday that you are not mowing lawns. Last year after I got mine the only days that I did not have it on my trailer was the two days that I mowed. They are extreamly usefull and I am always finding a new use for mine.

YardPro
03-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Somm

If you were to buy a Dingo or any other mini skid for that matter you would find yourself using it everyday that you are not mowing lawns. Last year after I got mine the only days that I did not have it on my trailer was the two days that I mowed. They are extreamly usefull and I am always finding a new use for mine.

ditto
i use mine almost every day..

Stuckwithit
03-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Can a Dingo handle moving trees around..i used the powerhouse version once and it struggled with 5'-6' Norway Spruces. I am assuming the Dingo is better. Very curious about moving 8'-10' White Pines with good size root balls. Thanks for the input.

Mr. Vern
03-28-2006, 12:19 AM
I have a Dingo, and can not remember how we ever got along without one. We have it on the jobs all of the time and use it throughout the day just about every day. That said, I can not see how you could justify buying one just to do "Dingo work" for people. Unlike a tractor, the advantage to the Dingo is that there is an attachment for just about anything you need to do (except go to the restroom). As for renting out your services, I gotta think a small tractor would see more demand.

emil35
03-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Well I was thinking of selling off a good amount of my lawn care equipment, keeping enough to do my jobs and special high paying services (aerating, etc.) and then buying a dingo and getting into the landscaping and then maybe pick up a skidsteer. Think I could make over $50K a year doing this summers (landscaping) and weekends (mowing)? I currently do about $10-15K a year mowing part time by myself. I'm only 17 so I don't think that's too bad. Thanks ya'll

rfed32
03-28-2006, 12:48 AM
ive used one a few times and there are times i wish i had one everyday...they are amazing little things....great how u can get in thight spots u cant with a skid steer and does less damage to turff...i would get one if i had the money...so if ya got it...go for it

kootoomootoo
03-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Well I was thinking of selling off a good amount of my lawn care equipment, keeping enough to do my jobs and special high paying services (aerating, etc.) and then buying a dingo and getting into the landscaping and then maybe pick up a skidsteer. Think I could make over $50K a year doing this summers (landscaping) and weekends (mowing)? I currently do about $10-15K a year mowing part time by myself. I'm only 17 so I don't think that's too bad. Thanks ya'll

I am thinking of selling some junk, buying a 767 and getting into the airline business.

sildoc
03-28-2006, 02:25 AM
I am thinking of selling some junk, buying a 767 and getting into the airline business.
Good Idea, I will sell som junk and buy a 737. You fly far and I will get the close stuff. call us well dingo blue.

DINGOMAN
03-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I Know Of 2 People That Are Subcontracting With The Dingo And Doing Quite Well Doing Trenching, And Soil Prep

emil35
03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
DINGOMAN, where do you do business in Colorado? Thanks

PSUturf
03-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Dingo TX is great if you find yourself doing a lot of work on existing lawns. Very little lawn damage when operated properly. I've had no problem moving 6 foot B&B pines with one. I've lifted an Amur maple with a 700 lb root ball off the truck bed and it started to tip just a little. Great machine.

LANDSCAPER30
03-28-2006, 07:03 PM
IT IS SIMPLY THE BEST LANDSCAPING MACHINE...PERIOD....IT CAN DO MORE THINGS THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE.:usflag:

Mr. Vern
03-28-2006, 07:49 PM

Emil - first off, I applaud your vision and enthusiasm. It is not common for kids your age to be thinking big and as entrepreneurs. I would highly recommend that you spend the time to research business plans. Don't approach them like most people do; which is just to convince a bank to loan them money. Put the time into writing one that will structure your research and your planning and mgmt of your efforts. By doing the business plan, you will force yourself to research and understand the market you are trying to capitalize on, and you will avoid a lot of mistakes that will cost you money and slow you down. You will learn what people are looking for and what it will take to deliver it. You will better understand the obstacles and can formulate a plan to navigate them. Don't just think that because landscaping costs a lot of money, that you can get rich doing it. You can get rich doing it, but it's not as easy as it sounds. Also, remember that it is not equipment that makes companies great; it is the people. You need to invest more into the people than you do the equipment if you are going to become successful. Take the time to learn the business (invest in yourself first), then find an employee or partner and help to develop them. Once you have built this foundation, then you can begin to capitalize on the opportunities, but remember if you grow your business faster than you grow your people; you will eventually crash and burn. Companies do it everyday. Keep asking questions, no matter if some make fun of you; that is how you will learn from others and avoid many mistakes.

Mr. Vern
03-28-2006, 07:56 PM
IT IS SIMPLY THE BEST LANDSCAPING MACHINE...PERIOD....IT CAN DO MORE THINGS THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE.:usflag:

I gotta agree with you Landscaper! I have a lot of equipment ranging from a Bobcat 863 to a Cat 325L(very large excavator) to large loaders and even a Hogzilla tub grinder, but of all that we own I gotta say the the Dingo is the most universal and most exciting piece of equipment in the fleet. Even though it will easily fit in some of the loader's buckets or can be plucked off the ground by the excavator w/the thumb, it is by far my favorite and most productive asset. Not to mention the least expensive. I love my Dingo! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the case skip loader with the Gannon box, it even out does that in my book.

YardPro
03-28-2006, 08:56 PM
mt vern.
i agree.
i have operated a lot of equipment, and by far i feel that the dingo is the most versitle machine out there.

I overwork the crap out of mine and it just keeps coming back for more.
Any of the brands would prpbably do the same... but boy i love my dingo.

stuckwithit
we plant 12' palm trees with ours.
we can plant 14 footers if you are very careful with it.

Hard Worker
03-28-2006, 09:16 PM
For you Dingo owners, how do they do for lawn preping? Does anyone use theirs for this type of work? Does the rake attachment work well? Thanks in advance.

emil35
03-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Mr. Vern:

Thank you for the words of encourgagement and advice. I have a business plan, but I'm going to be redoing it soon. I had planned on always do lawn care service and nothing else, failing to diversity into other services to help keep busy year round. I also forgot about college and how it would affect the whole picture while I'm there. I had a few good employees but none that were great that you could just tell to do something and they'd do it, I always had to check and sometimes fix things. That is why I'm leaning towards trying to find a partner or join me or buy into my business so that I can stay with doing what I love to do, but still invest in myself as you said by going to college. Thanks for the advice, and its always nice to hear encourgagement! :)

Mr. Vern
03-29-2006, 02:45 AM
Mr. Vern:

Thank you for the words of encourgagement and advice. I have a business plan, but I'm going to be redoing it soon. I had planned on always do lawn care service and nothing else, failing to diversity into other services to help keep busy year round. I also forgot about college and how it would affect the whole picture while I'm there. I had a few good employees but none that were great that you could just tell to do something and they'd do it, I always had to check and sometimes fix things. That is why I'm leaning towards trying to find a partner or join me or buy into my business so that I can stay with doing what I love to do, but still invest in myself as you said by going to college. Thanks for the advice, and its always nice to hear encourgagement! :)

Emil - It's great to read about your experiences; especially at such a young age. Please note that when I say investing in yourself, I do not necessarily mean just college. I have years of college and several degrees (including post graduate degrees) under my belt, but I by no means consider that to have been the best investment I have made into myself. To me investing in yourself is a lifestyle and not just an event. I am not against going to college, but only if it specifically addresses an area of interest or need in your knowledge base. College will give you knowledge, but it will not give you wisdom, and it may very well stifle that entrepreneurial spirit that is alive and active within you. It took me years to get over my education, so be careful about what you study and where you study it. Lifelong learning is the key to wisdom, and that comes from being humble and teachable and accepting that no matter how much knowledge you have acquired, you still don't know it all. If you develop a hunger to learn, you will go far in life. -- Take care.

fire&rain
05-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Hard,

I use mine every day and alot of the time for sod prep. The harley rake is unbelievable!!!!! You will absolutely not believe what that attachment can do. It most certainly is not limited to just preping soil. You can spread dirt right from where it is dumped, level, clean up and more!!

I have a ton of attachments for mine (although I am selling the Dingo & getting a new machine) and I think the versatility of the mini's cant be beat.

Emil, Keep up with your ambitions, your definately on the right track. I charge builders, plumbers and other irrigation co's $2.25/ft for pulling pipe and $3.50/ft for trenching and covering up. There is definately money in both of those, but I use it for filling in when we are not using the machine (sat's & sun's).

Good Luck

AintNoFun
05-06-2006, 10:38 PM
just picked up my 425 the other day. bought the land plane, bucket, forks, harley rake and auger with 2 bits... demo'ed one early in the week and had to buy one, im actually selling my skidsteer and plan on buying another one.. as someone said they are limited in what use them for though.... for planting, prep work, mulch etc i dont think they can be beat....

SONSCAPES
05-07-2006, 07:30 PM
i have had my dingo for 7 months i love it!!!!!! we use it just about everyday.

6'7 330
05-07-2006, 07:49 PM
The reason you don't see many dingos is because a new one costs 30 thousand dollars (the cheap one) ... Most of the accessories (auger, hoe, etc) cost another thousand or more, each.

Your posts are more and more reminding me of Exlax, they irritate the hell out of people. A dingo is not 30k, we gave 15.5 for our dingos.The dingo is perfect for city of Chicago work.We have full sized skid steers to, but the dingo gets worked the hell out of.

TheKingNJ
05-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Wow i'm suprised that most of you use the dingo compaired to the Bobcat MT55. I rent one of the bobcat's once and awhile and i loved it. I have used a dingo before and the bobcat blew it away with the 23 hp diesel. Does anyone own a MT55?

AintNoFun
05-08-2006, 05:19 PM
i demoed one, wasn't impressed. the attachments aren't there on the bobcat, not to mention bobcat salesman are scum!

Wow i'm suprised that most of you use the dingo compaired to the Bobcat MT55. I rent one of the bobcat's once and awhile and i loved it. I have used a dingo before and the bobcat blew it away with the 23 hp diesel. Does anyone own a MT55?

BCF
05-08-2006, 08:56 PM
The bobcat beat out the boxer when I demo'ed them, but it was too long, and the big attachment plate really got in the way. I just demo'ed a Handy Loader, and can't wait until they get that built for me.

Vermeer
05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Did you ever demo the Vermeer S600TX?

nlminc
05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
What model do you all use? Gas/Diesel? I was just looking at my local dealers web site and they have:
USED
TX 425 Wide Track with 215 hrs. and stand plate, includes full factory warranty! Was - $18,767 Now - $15,250 #37-25/483

TX 420 Track with 311 hrs. and stand plate. New Tracks! Includes 6 month warranty! Was - $17,360 Now - $13,750 #14-24/503

323 Four Paw, gas wheeled unit with 200 hrs. Includes full factory warranty! Was - $16,385 Now - $13,500 #33-24/236

How are these machines with the backhoe attachment? Could you dig a decent size pond and waterfall combo with it?

topsites
05-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Good Idea, I will sell som junk and buy a 737. You fly far and I will get the close stuff. call us well dingo blue.

That's funny because the Google CEO's recently bought a 20-year old Jumbo Jet for their use. So here I am thinking, you know, a 20-year old Jet, how much could it cost?
I knew a slightly used helicopter runs around 50k for starters, so I am thinking a few hundred thousand, right?

I did more research... Kept guessing... And kept going.

Then the price went up, and up, and then up some more.
And double that.

One million dollars for a used, 20-year old Jumbo Jet.

topsites
05-09-2006, 12:51 AM
just picked up my 425 the other day. bought the land plane, bucket, forks, harley rake and auger with 2 bits... demo'ed one early in the week and had to buy one, im actually selling my skidsteer and plan on buying another one.. as someone said they are limited in what use them for though.... for planting, prep work, mulch etc i dont think they can be beat....

My problem with mulch is I can run circles around the dingo with barrow and pitchfork due to the dingo's limited top speed. Although the dingo loads in one scoop, the scoop is no bigger than my barrow and 5 or 6 10-tine pitchfork loads and my barrow is full, too. The barrow turns far faster and covers ground considerably faster as well, the only drawback is muscle vs. machine, I get a little bit sore after doing 10 cubic yards in one day.

The only other problem I have with the dingo is the amazing fuel consumption rate OMG that thing sucks fuel like it was just so much air it was breathing.

I am glad, however, to find out they don't cost $30k new but you'd still likely spend close to 20k and ...

topsites
05-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Your posts are more and more reminding me of Exlax, they irritate the hell out of people. A dingo is not 30k, we gave 15.5 for our dingos.The dingo is perfect for city of Chicago work.We have full sized skid steers to, but the dingo gets worked the hell out of.

That may be true but all I did was look around ebay and according to what they sell them for, 20-30k didn't seem that far off at the time considering they sell them for 19k or thereabouts, I figured that was the low range:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2006-TORO-DINGO-TX-425-WITH-LOTS-OF-ACCESSORIES_W0QQitemZ7616041019QQcategoryZ95494QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I figured if they're selling them on Ebay for 19k, then 20k would be closer to dealer price, or is ebay not cheaper than the dealers?
Now if you got one for around 15-16k, I didn't want the smallest, lightest dingo money could buy much for the same reason I don't buy most of my equipment on the basis of price alone, because at least to me size does matter and not due to a feeling of insecurity, but because bigger stuff has more power and gets the job done faster.

Because even the biggest dingo has a low load limit, a limit which wouldn't phase a half-decent bobcat.

As far as the irritant, the feeling is mutual.

Dirty Water
05-09-2006, 01:52 AM
I think Mini-skids have their place. I also like the small skidsteers like the ASV RC-30. That machine is a little beast. I'd rather get one of those than a Dingo personally:

http://www.advancedmower.com/images/asv_support.jpg

AintNoFun
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
see thats great when YOUR doing the work. i dont do much labor anymore so i have to rely on employees. and then aint gonna work nearly as hard or as fast as the dingo unless im there babysitting all the time, and im to busy for that....

the other reason is why im so pro-dingo now is we do a lot of state/dot work. we dont have to pay equipment operators wages when running a dingo versus running a skidsteer. plus then if im on a union job they are gonna fight me tooth and nail to laborers and an operator if my skid was on the job. with the dingo i can eliminate the union operator and operators rates which saves huge moolah..

My problem with mulch is I can run circles around the dingo with barrow and pitchfork due to the dingo's limited top speed. Although the dingo loads in one scoop, the scoop is no bigger than my barrow and 5 or 6 10-tine pitchfork loads and my barrow is full, too. The barrow turns far faster and covers ground considerably faster as well, the only drawback is muscle vs. machine, I get a little bit sore after doing 10 cubic yards in one day.

The only other problem I have with the dingo is the amazing fuel consumption rate OMG that thing sucks fuel like it was just so much air it was breathing.

I am glad, however, to find out they don't cost $30k new but you'd still likely spend close to 20k and ...

paolaken
05-09-2006, 08:08 PM
love my dingo. gos with me everyday. how did i ever do it without it. mine is a wheeled unit, would like to add a track unit for my vibraplow.

6'7 330
05-10-2006, 12:07 AM
That may be true but all I did was look around ebay and according to what they sell them for, 20-30k didn't seem that far off at the time considering they sell them for 19k or thereabouts, I figured that was the low range:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2006-TORO-DINGO-TX-425-WITH-LOTS-OF-ACCESSORIES_W0QQitemZ7616041019QQcategoryZ95494QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I figured if they're selling them on Ebay for 19k, then 20k would be closer to dealer price, or is ebay not cheaper than the dealers?
Now if you got one for around 15-16k, I didn't want the smallest, lightest dingo money could buy much for the same reason I don't buy most of my equipment on the basis of price alone, because at least to me size does matter and not due to a feeling of insecurity, but because bigger stuff has more power and gets the job done faster.

Because even the biggest dingo has a low load limit, a limit which wouldn't phase a half-decent bobcat.

As far as the irritant, the feeling is mutual.

Another diarrhea in typing post,reminding people of ex lax and you're not knowing your ass from a hole in the ground, are all natural irritates.

We have new holland's and other brands of full sized skid steers, they do the sites, and jobs they are suited for very well. Our Dingo's are TX 425s, and the get worked doing prep work, planting and other jobs ,on small city sites where the full sized are not feasible, and the Dingo excels at this.

Doctor21
05-14-2006, 12:16 AM
I rented a 425 a month ago with the soil cultivator on hard ground. Not only did it mix the compost in but also did a great job prepping the seed bed for final grade. I would recommend buying the Ditch Witch SK500. The company has been building this type of machine for years and the parts/dealer network is a lot more extensive than Toro when comparing Dingo vs Ditch Witch SK series. Just my .02 cents..........

Lawnworks
05-14-2006, 12:24 AM
I think Mini-skids have their place. I also like the small skidsteers like the ASV RC-30. That machine is a little beast. I'd rather get one of those than a Dingo personally:

http://www.advancedmower.com/images/asv_support.jpg

I had an rc30, but sold it for a dingo 425. The asv is nice, but the dingo to me is a more practical machine. Easier to maneuver and easier to get on off machine. Plus parts and service are more available with Toro. The toro track system is much more simple also. Attachments were another issue. Forget ever finding a used attachment for an ASV.

emil35
05-14-2006, 03:20 AM
What model do you all use? Gas/Diesel? I was just looking at my local dealers web site and they have:
USED
TX 425 Wide Track with 215 hrs. and stand plate, includes full factory warranty! Was - $18,767 Now - $15,250 #37-25/483

TX 420 Track with 311 hrs. and stand plate. New Tracks! Includes 6 month warranty! Was - $17,360 Now - $13,750 #14-24/503

323 Four Paw, gas wheeled unit with 200 hrs. Includes full factory warranty! Was - $16,385 Now - $13,500 #33-24/236

How are these machines with the backhoe attachment? Could you dig a decent size pond and waterfall combo with it?

What website did you go to to find these prices? Thanks

emil35
05-14-2006, 03:22 AM
I had an rc30, but sold it for a dingo 425. The asv is nice, but the dingo to me is a more practical machine. Easier to maneuver and easier to get on off machine. Plus parts and service are more available with Toro. The toro track system is much more simple also. Attachments were another issue. Forget ever finding a used attachment for an ASV.

Would you suggest having both a toro dingo (420 model) and a RC30 if possible? Or would you suggest another combo of equipment? I need something that I can do small stuff with (dingo), but also something that I can do large jobs with where I don't have to stand all day. Thanks again for all your input everyone!

Lawnworks
05-14-2006, 11:05 AM
If I had the choice of two machines. I would have a 425 and a bobcat t190, asv rc60, or tracked cat 257. The rc 30 really cannnot move more dirt than a dingo, and its operating capacity is not that much better. With a dingo and a bigger skid steer you could really handle anything that was thrown at you.

For me it came down to what made sense rather than comfort. The rc30 was more comfortable, and I really loved the diesel engine(which was not nearly enough power for the machine). But the dingo just made more sense for my business. Super easy to use and work on. I can load it in on a single axle trailer. I can buy attachments on ebay. It had a kholer engine, of which I am very familiar w/, and maintenance would be super easy b/c I already own 3 other kholer powered machines. Just a few reasons for me.

Mr. Vern
05-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I have a good friend that has been a union equipment operator for decades. When I bought my Dingo he looked at it and said "that's nice". I could tell he was not impressed. He later commented "I'm gonna have to see that thing in action before I pass judgment". Well, yesterday he was helping me do a project for the church we attend and I was bringing the Dingo around a corner next to a set of steps and the corner of a garage; all the while another guy was pouring a small concrete pad right at the corner. They both looked at me and said "you'll never get that thing in there"; I not only got it in there, but I spun it 360 degrees just to show them how much room I had to spare. Well, later as I was working on sorting out the sprinkler system out front I told Brent (the sceptic) to use the Dingo to grade the back yard (there were huge piles of dirt and holes everywhere). About 30 minutes later he came out front and said "that thing is amazing; when you first bought that I thought you were nuts, but that is a serious money maker". This was from a seasoned operator who is used to operating very high end heavy equipment. Later in the day I was raking an area out and he came over and grabbed the Dingo and said "I wouldn't pick up a rake ever again until I had it 95% of the way there with the Dingo - it's so much easier and faster". After he finished grading that area for me he commented "you give me a day on this thing and I could perform brain surgery with it".
To me that was the best testomonial I could have heard concerning the Dingo (or I'm sure any of the mini-skids). The only attachment he got to use was the 4n1 bucket, but he is a convert. As has been mentioned before; the Dingo is not the tool for every job - I would not want to try to cut in a subdivision with one, but when you discover the niche that they can meet; you quickly realize that to do landscaping on small urban type settings without one is just simply wasting your money and time.

Cahsking
05-21-2006, 05:51 PM
I will post this in the Hardscapes thread also...How well can the dingo operate with the back hoe? I'm interested in using it to dig out trenches for my retaining wall projects. Many of these are on slopes, so I'm curious about the balancing, and power. Any input?

jazak
05-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Try $17000 with bucket

nlminc
05-22-2006, 11:47 PM
What website did you go to to find these prices? Thanks

Here:

http://www.keystonetoolrental.com/

Lawnworks
05-22-2006, 11:56 PM
keystone has impressed me w/ their knowledge, inventory, and parts.

landscape dude
10-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Anyone in here do alot of work with a TORO Dingo? I'm thinking of buying one and getting into it over the lawn care but am worried about not making enough, but then again, since there arent a whole lot of people doing just mini skid steer work, maybe I'll make alot...any input? Thanks
I have used the dingo and loved it. Attatchments are a bit spendy for them if you go with the toro stuff. I found a website(www.forkster.com) that makes a few attatchments for a bit cheaper. They are a great machine to get into smaller spaces. I think it would be a good purchase for a landscaper.

YardPro
10-27-2006, 08:41 AM
I rented a 425 a month ago with the soil cultivator on hard ground. Not only did it mix the compost in but also did a great job prepping the seed bed for final grade. I would recommend buying the Ditch Witch SK500. The company has been building this type of machine for years and the parts/dealer network is a lot more extensive than Toro when comparing Dingo vs Ditch Witch SK series. Just my .02 cents..........

you have that backwards doc..

the ditch witch has only entered this market within the last few years. toro bought the patent from an austrailian company back in the 80's and has been producing these machines for almost 20 years.

we looked at both machines. the units were about the same price, but for the same attachments the ditch witch was almost $4k more. toro buys so many more units that thier price is much lower.

lakehomenursery
12-16-2006, 11:24 PM
anyone have a problem shearing motor shafts. i have a 425 and it has sheared 3 shaft at a cost of $1000. each. i have had since 2003 love machine use almost every day

Big Bad Bob
12-17-2006, 02:25 AM
Inside the specialized range of light-weight applications it was designed for, it does rule. It's awesomeness is outweighed some, thou...

It is so light that unfortunately, there are some things it just can't do.

I would say you're not the only one dreaming of owning one, but I dare say the price and limited range of apps holds most of us back.
If I were sure I could find my niche with it, I'd have three of them easy :)

p.s.: If it's skidsteer work you're interested in, consider getting a small tractor. It's not as maneuverable, but you can get a slightly used small tractor for as little as 6 thousand (in pretty decent shape). Of course, you'd need a double-axle trailer for most of them.

i've got a bud who has a rental store and he has 2 of those puppies. i love 'em, use 'em and he takes care of the maintenance, which i pay for through rental fees. i don't use them every day but i do use them, mostly for rock, sometimes every week and sometimes 2 or 3 times a month. actually i didn't have to rent one in nov or dec. spring's right around the corner and i already have 2 landscape install jobs lined up. i know that'll be 5 or 6 by april. i know that doesn't sound like much to some of you bigger guys but mine is a husband, wife and one part time hard working white boy. ( what he smokes off the clock isn't any of my business since it never effects his work. but i guess this could be another thread. i think i'll start one.) :walking:

dschmaus
12-18-2006, 07:16 PM
i've got a bud who has a rental store and he has 2 of those puppies. i love 'em, use 'em and he takes care of the maintenance, which i pay for through rental fees. i don't use them every day but i do use them, mostly for rock, sometimes every week and sometimes 2 or 3 times a month. actually i didn't have to rent one in nov or dec. spring's right around the corner and i already have 2 landscape install jobs lined up. i know that'll be 5 or 6 by april. i know that doesn't sound like much to some of you bigger guys but mine is a husband, wife and one part time hard working white boy. ( what he smokes off the clock isn't any of my business since it never effects his work. but i guess this could be another thread. i think i'll start one.) :walking:

What are you guys paying for rental?